PDA

View Full Version : To 10 MOA base, or not to 10 MOA base?

Texas10
09-27-2015, 01:53 PM
I've been using Leupold bases on my 12 BVSS since new. I like the ability to load from the left and eject right and not being blocked by a piece of metal bridging across the top of the port.

Now however it occurs to me that with my scope turret bottomed out while sitting in a mount that is parallel to my barrel/action, I am looking through the far edge of the lens mounted inside the Reticle tube. And maybe the clarity and focus is not so good at this extreme edge. There's a word for this effect, i think its call vignette.

Is the use of an angled base going to make a sizable difference in focus and clarity etc by moving the target image more into the center of the lens?

Can I get a two piece base with a 10 MOA slope, or am I stuck with a one piece?

Please don't be afraid to flog me mercilessly if I'm concerned about nothing. Maybe I just have too much spare time on my hands to read.

darkker
09-27-2015, 03:46 PM
Can't tell you how big a POS your un-named scope is. But if that canteen has ANY unclear "areas" in the glass, throw it in the garbage and stop tolerating crap.
If you need adjustment look at Primary Arms scopes. There 4-14X FFP MIL-MIL scope has more adjustment range than most of NightFarce scopes. Only an average Hunter can afford them.

Anywho, two piece bases can be made to work. I have a flat back receiver, but use round bases in the back. Gives the Same effect as a canted base.

Texas10
09-27-2015, 05:18 PM
Thanks darkker for the reply.

My "POS" scope is a Vortex Viper HS 6-24X50 with a 30 mm tube, and is made in the Philippines. It's supposed to be a mid range scope with good quality glass, but not quite as good as those made in Japan, and nowhere near the price. Anywho, it's what I could afford, and if it was possible to know everything experience has taught me about scopes BEFORE I made my first purchase…..well just think of all the fun I'd have missed out on :black_eyed:

Regardless, it is the best of the higher power scopes I've owned so far, and is by no means "fuzzy". So in case I was not clear, what I am asking from those with much more experience than I have, is this; are there some untapped qualities about his scope that I am (so far) unaware of? Can I put a 10 MOA base on and expect that my view of targets beyond 300 yards is going to improve significantly?

Whereas I can now barely see my 22 cal holes at 200 yds, will I be able to see them clearly at 300 and perhaps beyond with a new base?

Corrected this to reflect seeing 22 cal at 200 yds, not 300.

yobuck
09-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Years ago when leupold introduced target knobs on their scopes, tapered scope bases werent available.
For that matter neither were the picitinny type bases. The Redfield/Leupold bases in both 1 and 2 pc were very popular then.
If you had a 7 rem mag you wouldnt have enough clicks in the scope to reach 1000 yds with that setup.
So lots of shooters shimmed the rear mount to gain more elevation. Some also had the front base machined off to give
the desired taper. So you could actually have a (machinist) taper the bases you now have.
Id be trying one of these approaches and see if it helps your situation. The shims would cost nothing and could
be removed if the results were unsatisfactory.

Kadams1563
09-27-2015, 05:25 PM
A base isn't going to make any difference in how far you can see with your optic. There are a lot of people that are happy with that scope but if your trying to see .22 caliber wholes your asking to much IMO.

Texas10
04-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Can't tell you how big a POS your un-named scope is. But if that canteen has ANY unclear "areas" in the glass, throw it in the garbage and stop tolerating crap.
If you need adjustment look at Primary Arms scopes. There 4-14X FFP MIL-MIL scope has more adjustment range than most of NightFarce scopes. Only an average Hunter can afford them.

Anywho, two piece bases can be made to work. I have a flat back receiver, but use round bases in the back. Gives the Same effect as a canted base.

I am resurrecting this old thread with an update. My suspicions were confirmed, Darkker, when I mounted a 20 moa base and began shooting at 300 yds. There is indeed a distinct blurry/fuzzy area right about the center of the cross hairs in this scope when zero'd at 100 yds with a standard base. But with the 20 moa base and set at 300 yds, I can clearly see my 22 cal holes.

I am a bit disappointed given vortex reputation, but the warranty is unconditional and I'll send it back.

Can't wait to get back out to the range and try the 750 yd steel again.

geezerhood
04-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Just don't try shimming two piece bases or using a taller base at the rear....your rings will be seriously out of alignment unless you lap the crud out of them.

Magnumdood
04-04-2016, 12:04 AM
All scopes have a sweet spot right in the center of the objective lens. Some of the scopes that cost $3k ~ $4K aren't going to be that different from edge to edge. Other scopes give you a noticeably degraded image as you peer at target through the edge of your scope's objective lens. A 10 MOA cant to a set of bases or a rail is not very much, although they are available. A 20 MOA cant seems to be a happy medium between the 10 MOA and a 45 MOA cant.