PDA

View Full Version : Im about ready to send this model 111FCNS back to Savage. Its pissin me off.......

Ham Slamma
09-27-2015, 07:26 AM
Its a model 111FCNS 30-06.

I don't care what factory ammo I put in this gun,,,it wont group worth a schit! And yes I'm pissed off. I need help guys before I sent it back!

I have a Savage 22-250 that Im getting 1/2" groups at 100 yards,,,,so I know its NOT me.

wbm
09-27-2015, 08:43 AM
What kind of groups are you getting? The FCNS has an Accustock right?

Ham Slamma
09-27-2015, 09:09 AM
2-3" at only 60 yards, and that's the best with 150gr Hornady Whitetail.
And yes, it has the accustock

LongRange
09-27-2015, 09:26 AM
assuming you have checked all the normal things do you know the measurements of the bullets your shooting to the lands?
how many rounds have you shot? have you cleaned the barrel?

Monkeymaster
09-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Check your action screws and the torque settings, also c check your scope rings, I do not have an accustock, however I had several 110 rifles that would not shoot, I then checked my action screws, which made a 2 1/2" 100 yr gun into a 1/2" 100 yd gun.
I then could sleep at night.
GOOD LUCK

big honkin jeep
09-27-2015, 09:56 AM
Have you tried something a little heavier?
I have had excellent results with 165-168gr bullets in -06. Federal Deer Thug seems to be pretty good factory fodder.
I know you said factory ammo but a near max charge of IMR 4350 with a CCI BR2 and a Sierra Gameking HPBT is pure magic in a couple of mine.
Here's an article on torque tuning, wont cost anything and couldn't hurt.http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/
Good luck

tufrthnails
09-27-2015, 11:35 AM
If you are shooting factory mounts and rings. Trash them. Best thing I ever did was go to DNZ Game Reaper one piece. After that my next best move was probably handloading.

devildogandboy
09-27-2015, 01:20 PM
when i had mine i used 165-180gr bullets. it liked the heavies better.

Bruce

RegisG
09-27-2015, 02:47 PM
This is a great reminder to those of us trying to improve any of our guns that are less than what we know they should be.
And, an excellent short article.
Thanks,
Regis

Have you tried something a little heavier?
I have had excellent results with 165-168gr bullets in -06. Federal Deer Thug seems to be pretty good factory fodder.
I know you said factory ammo but a near max charge of IMR 4350 with a CCI BR2 and a Sierra Gameking HPBT is pure magic in a couple of mine.
Here's an article on torque tuning, wont cost anything and couldn't hurt.http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/
Good luck

Ham Slamma
09-27-2015, 05:09 PM
The first thing I did was take the gun apart from the stock and clean it.
Proper torque was used on all screws when I put it back together.
Installed a DNZ scope mount with blue lock-tite and proper torque to all screws.
The scope is the 1,000 dollar Meopta 3x12x56.
Did the long break in process that is recommended.
I have asked on this site what ammo to use "before" I even got started.
One person says heavy, the other person says light......
I think I have spent more on different ammo than the price of the gun.
I have never spent this much on a bolt gun,,,and have never seen one I couldn't find the right ammo for. THIS SUX!!!

I DO NOT ROLL MY OWN,OR DO I WANT TO......

Thanks for your help guys

centershot
09-27-2015, 08:30 PM
I sent my 12 FV back to Savage and they were able to find a factory load that would shoot to their expectations. Their rifles should shoot to my expectations! I am also pis*** at them.

foxx
09-27-2015, 10:49 PM
I would replace the scope with a scope that is known to be good. ANY scope can go bad or break. If it still won't shoot, I'd return it to Savage.

short round
09-28-2015, 02:13 AM
If you haven't already done this, check barrel & tang for free float, you need some. Disassemble bolt, clean & lightly lube & make sure Bolt Assembly Screw is tight.

Ham Slamma
09-28-2015, 05:06 AM
,,,,,,,"I would replace the scope with a scope that is known to be good"

Ha-Ha-Ha,,,,,you need to read some reviews on Meopta scopes foxx. But yes, any scope can be bad right from the factory.

Ill check that too short round

vmcdonald79
09-28-2015, 05:58 AM
,,,,,,,"I would replace the scope with a scope that is known to be good"

Ha-Ha-Ha,,,,,you need to read some reviews on Meopta scopes foxx. But yes, any scope can be bad right from the factory.

Ill check that too short round
I think what he means by "good" is one that is currently in use on another rifle that is proven. It is possible that you have a bad scooe.

Ham Slamma
09-28-2015, 06:03 AM
Yes Sir, that was my next move.

jamesburke
09-28-2015, 05:06 PM
The stock sucks, I bet the stock twist, what I mean is where the bipod is installed on to the stock try to twist your rifle and look at the fee float part of the stock and see if it twist if so there you go, mine did this I got a new stock now I shoot 1 moa at 300 yards, MDT great stock but it well cost some cash for everything you need, I put a MTD on my savage 111fcxp3 30-06 man I love it I am almost done with it here it is, hope this helps.
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j178/jamesburkex/KIMG0474_zpsqphc9mwg.jpg~original

foxx
09-28-2015, 05:18 PM
I think what he means by "good" is one that is currently in use on another rifle that is proven. It is possible that you have a bad scooe.

Yes, VMcD is correct. I know nothing about your scope, have no opinion on it and am simply suspicious that it is defective. I have had good scopes go bad, but I've never even shot a smooth bore shotgun as poorly as you say this thing is at 60 yards. If it were mine, and the scope is good, (that has yet to be confirmed) I would not be interested in ANY solution short of a new barrel and/or action.

Ham Slamma
09-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Thanks foxx. I understand. Like I said,,,,it could be the scope.

I talked to a buddy of mine today and he has a 30mm tube Meopta scope he can let me use tomorrow at the range. It has been tested, and its good.

Im also gonna try some 225Gr Core-Lokts while Im there.......(Before I remove my scope)

Thanks for the help guys!!!

foxx
09-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Why waste the bullets? The worst bullet in the world will shoot better than that out of a bad barrel.