PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: New FV-SR question

Texan79423
09-26-2015, 09:11 AM
I have a new 16.5 in. FV-SR and just put her in a boyds Tacticool stock with DIP kit. Is this the same set up as the FV-TR from the factory?

Most people are you need saying you need to pillar bed the Boyds stock for any kind of accuracy. Then I read the TR and TRR owners saying their guns shoot fine "as is" or 1/2 inch MOA at 50 yards. So ... I am confused.

I am going to try my out today. FV-SR in untouched Boyds stock with action at 15 on front screw and 12 on rear to start.

justinp61
09-26-2015, 01:44 PM
I'd shoot it with several brands of ammo first, it seems these rifles take 300-500 rounds to really settle in. CCI SV, Green Tag and many other standard velocities work well in them.

My BTVLSS shoots very well without any bedding or pillars, in fact I'm afraid to do anything else to it. I made the heavy bottom metal and installed an Apachee trigger kit. The trigger kit is a very good addition IMO. The action screws are 6 and 9 inch pounds on mine.

Lorenzo
09-26-2015, 11:12 PM
yes they take quite a bit of dirtying up to get the groups to tigheten up. The TR has a longer barrel and the TRR has the same longer barrel but its threaded. CCI standard velocity does shoot really well for the money as does most CCI stuff. I have a FVSR and a 93r17TR, they both need around 75 rounds after a good cleaning to group well again. heres a link to a guy who bedded his but it does look like quite a bit of work.
http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/savage-93r17tr-proper-bedding.html

Texan79423
09-27-2015, 06:25 AM
Took the rifle to the range yesterday Action tightened to 15 front 12 for the rear The gun was dead on at 25 and 50 yards. Grouped less than a inch for 50-60 rounds. Moved out to 100 yards shoot groups about 1 1/2 inches. Gun will "easily" shoot better than I can.

I will not be bedding or installing pillars, yet.

Stonewall_Jackson
09-27-2015, 07:10 PM
After I pillar bedded my MkIIBTV I started getting consistent groups between .25" and .5". At 100 yards it will consistently shoot under 1". Finding the right ammo and learning a few things about what I think is a picky rifle will help you a lot. For example if I switch ammo I have to shoot about 30 rounds of it to get the barrel lubed with the lube that comes with that particular ammo. Mixing lube will make my rifle inconsistent. Plus I have to warm up the barrel I only clean it when it starts to show accuracy issues or problems with feeding which takes a whole bunch of rounds. The best thing to do is to find a brand of ammo your rifle likes and stick with it. It isn't easy to find the right ammo or it wasn't for me again because when I changed ammo I had problems for a while. Here's a typical 100 yard set of group with this rifle. If not for a flyer or two it would have been considerably better.

http://www.a-framevideo.com/May%2020%202010%20groups%20measured.jpg

Texan79423
10-11-2015, 04:57 PM
Update on my FV-SR. I have about 300 rounds in the gun since setting it in the boyds stock. No bedding, no pillars, just stock gun in stock with DIP BTM and trigger. At 25 yards it is boring how accurate it is. I shot 10 5 rd groups at 50 yards most of the time 3 touched and 2 were relly close. One group was ragged clover leaf one hole.

I will not perform any other mods cuz the gun is way better than I am or my hotrod 10/22's