PDA

View Full Version : bi pod?

Blackbird94
09-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Just got my Axis .223 last week. Just wondering if anyone makes a bi pod for it? Screw into the sling mount spot , or clamp on. Welcome any opinions

DrThunder88
09-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Almost any Harris-style bipod will hook onto the front sling swivel stud. I've used Caldwell and BLACKHAWK! bipods with some success. As long as the bipod isn't meant to attach to Picatinny rail, chances are good it will attach to the sling swivel stud. Avoid barrel clamp bipods if you value accuracy. Chances are good they'll be more of a hindrance than anything.

Features I find useful are pivoting, which helps keep the rifle upright; a lever handle that locks the pivot in place, which is much easier to use than the little knob on some bipods; and notched legs, which are quicker to adjust when in position behind the rifle.

Inebriated
09-24-2015, 10:50 PM
Shooter's Ridge (I think it's called), Caldwell, Blackhawk, stuff like that, that is designed after a Harris will work. I wouldn't drop a lot of coin on a bipod for an Axis, though, unless you're also swapping the stock to something more rigid. The Axis stock is going to flex with the bipod, and while it may not touch the barrel, there's a noticeable sway when aiming. It's considerably less stable than just using a bag or pack.

Blackbird94
09-24-2015, 11:22 PM
That's what I was looking for. I have a nice one on my .45 carbine. Just don't always like dragging the bench rest out. The Sling mount in front has a very course thread, I'll have to look at those. Would much prefer that to a clamp on

Cyclops
09-25-2015, 12:33 AM
Have you seen the Sinclair Bipod http://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-rests-bipods/bipods/monopods/bipods-adapters/sinclair-3rd-generation-f-class-bipod-prod44699.aspx

Inebriated
09-25-2015, 12:34 AM
That's what I was looking for. I have a nice one on my .45 carbine. Just don't always like dragging the bench rest out. The Sling mount in front has a very course thread, I'll have to look at those. Would much prefer that to a clamp on

Sounds like a good excuse to start working on shooting in slung positions ;)

edit - the winky face looks so smug... I didn't mean it smugly lol.