PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Barrel vs ???

idunham
09-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Hey all,

I'm just curious about opinions on barrels.

I'm looking at building a long range .243 WIN, and was looking at barrel recommendations. Shaw is a local company (pittsburgh), and seem to have pretty good prices. However, i want to know what other peoples opinions are about barrels, and recommendations.

mudpig
09-23-2015, 09:58 PM
I've got two Shaw barrels (#3 contour) and I've been pretty happy with them. Both shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA with handloads (260 Rem). I've got a McGowen barrel (#5 contour fluted) that was more expensive and shoots a little better (270 Gibbs). Then there are the high end barrels that do cost more and you would expect them to shoot better, but I suppose that it is subject to one's own opinion. (Hart, Brux, Shillen, Bartlein, etc.)

By the way, both Shaw barrels broke in very quickly and easily with very little fouling and easy clean up.

foxx
09-23-2015, 11:49 PM
I have heard good reports (similar as above) on Shaw barrels. They seem to make decent hunting barrels.

In my experience, Jim at Apache Gun Works and his son, Tim at Skinner Gun Works, makes better barrels for about the same price. Jim (Apache) also will make high end barrels off of X-Caliber blanks. They do great work for a great price and quick turn around time. I am almost embarrassed to say how many "budget" hunting barrels they have made for me and all shoot at or better than .5 MOA to .75MOA with factory loads. Some shoot in the 2 and 3's with hand loads.

I have also had good luck with McGowen. In my opinion, any of the $300-400 barrels will shoot better than most shooters can. I am not a competitive shooter, but I have built a lot of good shooters and, in my opinion, the biggest difference in high end barrels and "budget/hunting" barrels is how well they clean with one or two passes of a wet patch. For me, that is not an issue, so I prefer to have Jim or Tim build me budget barrels that shoot dang well.

In short, I would choose them over Shaw all day long and have many times over.

THat's not a slam on Shaw, by any means, but praise for them.

stomp442
09-24-2015, 09:22 AM
One of the most accurate barrels I own is a Shaw. I have nothing but great things to say about them. I probably have 3 or 4 shaw barrels on rigs currently and all of them shoot great. I would not hesitate to get one especially if they are just a few minutes away from you.

wbm
09-24-2015, 11:54 AM
One of the most accurate barrels I own is a Shaw.

Have had three Shaw barrels and all have been good barrels. Current one is in 6.5x55 and is very accurate.

darkker
09-24-2015, 05:36 PM
My current Shaw is a Creedmoor that came with a slight "tight spot" near the bore. That barrel shoots sub MOA at a mile, assuming I can call wind properly.

scooterf79
09-25-2015, 01:40 PM
Foxx,
Thanks for that bit of info on Jim and Tim(😃) I figured there was some sort of connection there. And the reamers list and web pages are extremely similar lol.

Not a knock on shaw but Id try either of the Skinner boys first myself. Especially if Tims does work like his dad, and it sounds like he does according to foxx.
Either route you go, Apache or Shaw, Im sure you will be pleased.
Scooter