PDA

View Full Version : AR mags for savage .223 ?

Medic_01
06-07-2010, 05:39 AM
Guys

I asked this question a while back 5 months ?? and am just checking back in.

has anyone managed to make a DBM floorplate for a savage that takes the AR or Rem7615 mags ??

Cheers

Appleseed
06-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Sinarms has a post in the customer feedback topics, think he's working on something similar. SSS has an extended one on their web site, 308 family, there is at least one review here. The floorplate is factory for the SSS extended mag.

sinman
06-07-2010, 10:32 PM
im working on it but to use an ar mag your action will have to be machined to accept it along with a new bottom metal.

thehouseproduct
06-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I have CAD worked up for a billet stock and the cut out in the action to make this work. It seems whenever you bring this up, all the people who take themselves too seriously always chime in that if you cant hit something with a single shot, you should sell all your guns and move to San Francisco, etc. Like no one should have a use for higher capacity cheap mags or something.

j-red
06-08-2010, 12:05 PM
another option for 223 detach mags is a CDI bottom metal with the new AICS 223 polymer mags. only ten rounders currently and probably never more than that unless you modify it, but they work well without milling the action and you can always swap up to 308 by changing barrels and mags. They run about $35 each.

BigTen
06-08-2010, 10:26 PM
another option for 223 detach mags is a CDI bottom metal with the new AICS 223 polymer mags. only ten rounders currently and probably never more than that unless you modify it, but they work well without milling the action and you can always swap up to 308 by changing barrels and mags. They run about $35 each.

I have a model 16 in .223 that has 'issues' with prairie dogs. A couple of extra 10 round magazines would help me deal with more issues in a timely fashion. Personally, I don't need more than 10 rounds per mag, and I do need to be able to shoot prone. I could get more 5 rounders, but 10 seems better given the typical pace of my p-dog firefights. I'm hoping somebody with more mechanical ability than me can help, soon. Please.

j-red, sorry if I'm just dense, but I don't totally understand the AICS/CDI post. Do you believe that this combination can be used as is with an unaltered factory stock?

j-red
06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I'll try to clarify. CDI makes a bottom metal for savages (both centerfeed and staggered and i think even long actions now). The bottom metal will fit a stock that is already inlet for the savage dbm centerfeed setup with very little work. If your stock is not inlet at all, he charges about $60 to do the inletting. The bottom metal allows you to use AICS 308 and 223 magazines with the savage action without doing any milling to the action itself. Since the 308 and 223 aics mags both work in this one bottom metal it is very versatile. Mags are only 10 rounders, but they feed flawlessly. OH, and that's the 223 magazines that run $35 each, not the bottom metal.