PDA

View Full Version : New to forum, starting project soon and advise is welcome!

Corprin
09-18-2009, 03:42 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of building a rifle capable of hitting my 14" square gong at 1000yrds for a long while now. Now that my other toys are getting close to the end of their "off the shelf builds" I am going to start from scratch. This has had me digging through various actions, Rem 700, Win 70, CZ 550, Tika T3, K98's, VZ24's, Mosin Nagant's, etc. Everything was taken into account, but mostly the price of building the rifle. I have a small budget, and have always been someone who enjoyed doing something great with much less. From build cars, to mountain bikes, to shooting, I pride myself on taking the commonly discounted things and beating out others with "better" stuff.

I ran across the article on building a 1000yrd rifle for under $1000 and I was instantly sold. The lack of gunsmithing required for barrel changes and trigger work had me settle on your beloved Savage 110 series rifle with accu-trigger. My wife has been enjoying her MKII BVTS and its ability to hit exactly what she wants out past 100yrds.

So, my plan is this...

Take a maximum budget of $1000 and build a rilfe capable of consistently grouping under 12" at 1000yrds, yet still capable of being used for deer, elk, and other game. This will not be a 30" barreled bench queen, and will be used in foul weather, carried in the field, and fired off hand. I have come down to the caliber of 6.5x55, but am debating if I want to bump it to the BJAI or keep it in the factory ream.

Anyway, here I am, and hello!

Rich

sinman
09-18-2009, 03:52 PM
You will love working on a Savage. Since you want bench quality and lighter weight take a look at a tensioned barrel. http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,25506.0.html

So far they look very promising and I have 2 more subjects that are going to be testing them very soon.

BrentWin
09-18-2009, 03:58 PM
I pride myself on taking the commonly discounted things and beating out others with "better" stuff.

You are going to get hooked on this Savage thing then.

Eric in NC
09-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Well for under $1,000 for a 1,000 yard rifle I would say start with your scope and work backward from there. Don't get too concerned about max power etc. (especially if you plan on shooting the rifle offhand as you say).

And I would go with the improved 6.5x55 or even 6.5-06AI (just cause good brass is easier to find).

JCalhoun
09-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Corprin;

I like your choice of cartridge. The 6.5 X 55 Swedish is a very capable performer for target use as well as hunting.

I do however think that you may be wanting too much from a single rifle. To get get the accuracy you desire at 1000y you will be looking at a target rifle in either a benchrest, Palma or varmint style configuration. None of these are good at carrying in a field or a truck. Too bulky and too much weight.

I suggest that you decide which you want more, hunting rifle or target rifle and build that first. You can always do the other later. My point being that if you try to build a rifle to do both it will be a compromise that will be a dissappointing venture.

Pick up two Stevens 200 rifles in long action, they can be had for well under $400 new. Use one for a deer rifle and use the other for a donor action. The Stevens is a Savage without the Accutrigger. All Model 110 goodies will fit them.

Corprin
09-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Thank you all for the advice, I guess I should have been a little more clear on my intentions.

Being a former designated marksman, sniper, and machine gunner in the Army I have no issue with hauling around a 15-20lb firearm in the woods. Not my first choice, but I have no issue with it. This rifle is going to be more long range precision than a hunter, but not an all-out bench rest rifle. When I say offhand shooting, I really mean something that I can fire from standing, kneeling, sitting, as well as a BR or prone without to much issue. I will not be trying for anything beyond 400 standing, I am just not that steady anymore. :( I have seen some guys at the range with rifles that are BEAUTIFUL shooters, but weigh as much as a Ma'Duce! My rifle will be something that I can hauled through the woods to my tree-stand in my dragbag, or take out to the Dakota's or Montana for some longer range Elk'esque hunting. I fully understand that you can't have your cake and eat it too with this situation, and a "field gun" will never be great at long range work, and a Bench-Rest will never be great as a bang around field gun. This will also not be my first, nor my only, rifle able to take game. The safe has a couple that are wonderful hunting rifles, but none are the "tack driver" I want to build. My rifle for this season is a NEF Handirifle in 7mm-08 with an AimPoint ML2, firing 140gr Remington Accutip BT with 1.25" groups at 100yrds standing unsupported (all cold bore), which is good enough for the 25-70yrd shots I get here. I also have a decent shooting .243 barrel, .223 bull/fluted, and .50 ML for that frame. There is also a K98, M91/31, PSL, and M14S which will get the job done just fine in the collection. ;D None of the rifles really "do it for me" when it comes to clanking the gong at long ranges, plus I miss my M24 sometimes. I am lacking a very accurate bolt rifle in the collection, and it's about time I built one up.

The 6.5x55 (in either BJAI, or standard) was chosen for the history of the round (I am part Swede after all), as well as the lower recoil over something like the 6.5-06. It eats barrels much slower than the likes of the 6.5x284. My shoulder was badly damaged during my last few years of service, so I am a bit recoil sensitive now-a-days. This is why the 6.5x55 was appealing, all the fun of a very good BC, but recoils about as much as a .243. I will be going with a Kriger, Schilen, or the like in 24" 1:8" or 9" twist. I have to do some more reading on the ballistics on the round to figure my optimum twist.

I found a few donor rifles, Stevens 200's, at the local pawn under $150, as well as some non-accutrigger 110's for ~$250. Are these rifles able to be retrofitted with the accutrigger, and if so is it cost effective? I absolutely love the trigger on my wife's MKII, and truly appreciate the safety of the unit while maintaining a crisp and very light trigger break... plus it is uniquely Savage! Though, if the Stevens' are able to be retrofitted under $100, I think I have found my action!

Good optics are up there on my list, but again, I LOVE to do more with less. I have had very good luck with the cheap Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 Mil-Dot "target" for clanking out to 600yrds on my .243 and I may settle for this till I can get some very nice glass on the rifle.

I love the input, please keep it going!

sinman
09-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Dakota's, are you from North or South or just travel here? and there are alot better triggers than the accutrigger to put on preaccutrigger guns.

dcloco
09-18-2009, 10:32 PM
I am a huge 6.5x55 fan. Built two 6.5x55 AI's last fall as well.

Don't overlook the 260/260 AI or the 6.5x57/6.5x57 AI either.

Corprin
09-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Dakota's, are you from North or South or just travel here? and there are alot better triggers than the accutrigger to put on preaccutrigger guns.

I am living in the twin cities, but always looking for new friends with long ranges ;)

And the percocet I am on for my kidney stone got me reading "peacachutrigger guns" Made the world a more fun place for a second.

What trigger would you recommend for a safe ~1lb trigger? This is good news, as a used Stevens is much much cheaper than the newer guns. What year/serial numbers and which models should I be looking for?

sinman
09-19-2009, 12:29 AM
any stevens 200 will be fine, the older ones are staggered feed and the newer ones are centerfeed. The older ones have more stock choices right now. Sharp shooter supply has about the best trigger money can buy and a working man can afford them.

northlander
09-19-2009, 08:49 AM
Corprin,
I am located just west of the twin cities in Buffalo (straight out Hwy. 55). I have New Unfired Stevens Long Actions (actions only) on the shelf for $230.00. I also work with Both McGowen and Shilen Barrels. I can custom order you a Match Grade 6.5X55 for as little as $269.00.

As far as a replacement Trigger is concerned I would look at the SSS Competition Trigger. You can tune it down to 12 ounces or as heavy as just over two pounds. They are fully adjustable for slack and overtravel. A very nice trigger for about $80.00.

We can start you out with the factory synthetic stock for $25.00 and you can grow that into whatever price range stock you choose when you are ready.

I also belong to the Forestlake Sportsman Club. Out on their rifle range they have camera system shooting out to 400 yards. Best part is it is all sub surface with minamal wind issues.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Corprin
09-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Corprin,
I am located just west of the twin cities in Buffalo (straight out Hwy. 55). I have New Unfired Stevens Long Actions (actions only) on the shelf for $230.00. I also work with Both McGowen and Shilen Barrels. I can custom order you a Match Grade 6.5X55 for as little as $269.00.

As far as a replacement Trigger is concerned I would look at the SSS Competition Trigger. You can tune it down to 12 ounces or as heavy as just over two pounds. They are fully adjustable for slack and overtravel. A very nice trigger for about $80.00.

We can start you out with the factory synthetic stock for $25.00 and you can grow that into whatever price range stock you choose when you are ready.

I also belong to the Forestlake Sportsman Club. Out on their rifle range they have camera system shooting out to 400 yards. Best part is it is all sub surface with minamal wind issues.

Jim Briggs
NSS

I was evicting a chunk of rock out of my kidney last night, so you all will have to forgive some of my communication skills.

Jim,

I am not going to be in a position to buy parts for another couple weeks. The VA is lagging on getting my GI Bill checks pushed through, and my allowance is being put aside for family needs... not my desires. Do the new actions come with the recoil lug and barrel nut?

handirifle
09-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Corpin
Welcome home and thank you for your service and sacrafice, most of which I'm sure we'll never know about. I hope your shoulder does improve over time.

good luck on the build. The biggest complaint I have with Savage rifles, is they are soooo easy to convert, it seems I do not stay with one caliber long enough to really get to know it.

Ahh, life is full of choices, eh?

Corprin
09-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Corpin
Welcome home and thank you for your service and sacrafice, most of which I'm sure we'll never know about. I hope your shoulder does improve over time.

good luck on the build. The biggest complaint I have with Savage rifles, is they are soooo easy to convert, it seems I do not stay with one caliber long enough to really get to know it.

Ahh, life is full of choices, eh?

Thank you, and the shoulder doesn't bother me much day to day, but when I do things like wax my Jeep... ouch for days. Too much recoil will cause some nasty little issues as well, but it is all good. I collect a check from the gov't, and they are putting me through school so thank you in return for paying your taxes!

We will see what I can find in the way of a used Steven's 200 around here and see where it goes from there. I don't plan on doing too much swapping of barrels on this rifle... that's what my Handirifle is for ;)

dcloco
09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
We will see what I can find in the way of a used Steven's 200 around here and see where it goes from there. I don't plan on doing too much swapping of barrels on this rifle... that's what my Handirifle is for ;)

Hang around here very long...and...well....you will soon be infected with the Savagitis as well.

NO known cure.