PDA

View Full Version : What do I have?

bigred94
09-20-2015, 07:51 PM
I need a little help. I received a savage long action through some tradeing. I need help figuring out what I have in order to buy a stock.
What I have is: a long action and bolt. Nothing attached to the bottom of action. No barrel. A metal box over a metal spring and plastic follower. No bottom metal or plastic floor plate.
I do have a few spare mag retainer clips. I need a stock. I have a 27" heavy barrel on order. Do y'all think I could make one of the hogue stocks work? The top loading model maybe?

devildogandboy
09-20-2015, 08:00 PM
did you search it on the parts finder? https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/

Bruce

bigred94
09-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Didn't think about that. I just looked it up and it says it's a 111 hunter xp. Is this the same as the trophy hunter? Still need some help with a stock. Houge does not list the 111 in there description on there stock. Will this fit?

olddav
09-20-2015, 09:01 PM
You will need to know if your rifle is a center feed or stagger feed. Once you have that info give Houge a call.
Maybe someone who is in the know will offer more info.

Bolthead
09-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Is the back of the receiver (where the scope mount goes) flat on the top or round? Does it have an accutrigger? If the receiver is flat, it is most likely a staggerfeed and there will be slots under the receiver to attach the mag box to. I think all of the round top receivers and all accutriggers are center feed, but I cannot swear to that.

243LPR
09-20-2015, 09:30 PM
"Nothing attached to the bottom of action" leads me to think CF. All long actions are the same spacing,any 11X blind mag stock should work.

bigred94
09-20-2015, 09:43 PM
No accutrigger. Round top receiver.

olddav
09-20-2015, 11:37 PM
A metal box over a metal spring and plastic follower.

Describe or post a pic of this box, spring and follower or check in the article section of this site. The metal box is your mag. Chances are it is a center feed action but you do want to be sure, helps avoid returns due to incorrect info.

J.Baker
09-21-2015, 12:53 AM
See the following article and look closely at the magazine feed lips and the machine cuts on the bottom of the action to determine if it's a CF or SF action.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?269-How-To-Remove-Your-Blind-Mag-Body-and-Follower-%28SF-and-CF%29

bigred94
09-21-2015, 07:31 AM
Thanks j.baker for the link. That helped a lot. Now to the action screws. I have a hogue blind mag stock coming. There are a number of different screws for the action. Do you know which two I need? It's a centerfeed.

short round
09-21-2015, 06:20 PM
Screws can be had at hardware store, thread size is 1/4"x28, pick head type you like, button head looks good. if not exact length is not available, get them a little long & trim to length.