PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 10BA .308

JR45
09-20-2015, 10:36 AM
I just purchased a new Savage 10BA .308 my local gun store, It was in the used rifle section, but never fired. (trade In)

What would be the best bipod for this rifle? Would a 6 X 24 X 50 be good out to 1,000 yrds?

Thanks,
John

darkker
09-20-2015, 11:53 AM
1) It was in the used rifle section, but never fired. (trade In)

2) What would be the best bipod for this rifle?
3) Would a 6 X 24 X 50 be good out to 1,000 yrds?

1) maybe, but Madonna said she was like a Virgin also; I don't believe that anymore than an un-shot rifle.
2) The "Best" is the one that fits you best, there is no universal anything.
3) Depends on the scope and glass/coating quality, and what you are capable of. I've shot a 3-9X past 1,000 using hold-over. Posted about this and a video over on Shooters forum.
Really comes down to your abilities, desires, dedication. Some want to try and buy talent, so they can brag about shooting this out that far. It all depends on you.

Robinhood
09-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Good response Darkker,

The best bipod is one that does the job you are going to use it for. The Sinclair will serve you well if you shoot prone in a uniform ground setting such as F/TR competition. The Atlas will serve you well with the correct mount and if you are looking for something light and simple Harris is your ticket.

If you live in a hot humid environment the 24 power becomes useless if the glass is not great. A 16 or 20 power with good glass is good to go. If you live in high elevations and have cool dry air get the best glass you can afford at the highest magnification.

When going long, as a rule having great glass trumps high power. Having both is the apostophy.

Lorenzo
09-21-2015, 12:29 AM
Sweet gun I want one. Get a Harris knock off from black hawk or something but really research the scope. Make sure your turrets match your reticule. If your turrets are MOA get an MOA reticule if theyre mil get mil. Also research First focal plane and Second focal plane. 6x24x50 is pretty much standard for mostly longer range shooting in my opinion.

Bolthead
09-21-2015, 08:38 AM
Go to the "Optics" section of the forum and prepare to spend several hours.

JR45
09-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the replies!