PDA

View Full Version : Remage / Model 10/110 / Axis ? Which action is best choice for today's builds?

Bginvestor
09-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Interested in doing another build but getting a little overwhelmed with the action options!

Maybe some of you greybeards can chime in.. What actions are folks doing the most builds with these days?

To me, seems a remage build is real interesting since the actions are known to be smooth and lot of cool stock options! Its tough to find a cheap Stevens to work with with these days.. And the axis's seem like a decent way to go too.. arghh. thx

foxx
09-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Yep. You pretty much nailed it.

If I can't find a used model 10/11 etc. for the right price ($200 after selling off parts), like building off new Hog Hunters because they have top bolt release and the barrel has pretty good resale value.

If I wanted to go real inexpensive, I'd go Axis Heavy Barrel because the barrel has good resale value, also. However, they will not accept my favorite two aftermarket triggers (Rifle Basix Sav-2 and Sharp Shooter Supply Competition Trigger)

Some day soon I will do a Remage because I am eager to try a Jewell trigger. When I do , I will just get an action from Buds. Pretty inexpensive that way.

psharon97
09-20-2015, 12:08 AM
I've never built a rifle or done a remage conversion, so I cannot comment on that. I do hate that I can't change the bolt knob out when I like to what I like, similar to how I can easily change the bolt knob on a Savage. Otherwise, with both actions having such similar parts availability, there's not much of an advantage of going with either IMO. Most stocks available for Remington, are also available for Savage inlet. Timney and Rifle Basix make triggers for both, with Jewel trigger for Remington and the SSS evolution trigger available for Savage.

LoneWolf
09-20-2015, 12:13 AM
SSS Evolution trigger requires a time and true job by SSS. It really depends on what you want out of the rifle and what you will be using it for.

Bginvestor
09-20-2015, 01:08 AM
Best performance for the money wolf! 6mmBR is really interesting right now..

LoneWolf
09-20-2015, 06:55 AM
If you want a low cost target rifle to play with and will be shooting a format that single feed will work be plenty acceptable, then a Savage will definitely get the job done reliably a the lowest cost.

If you need more reliable magazine feeding then a Remage may be best, but remember the Remington doesn't have the floating bolt head.

I haven't played with every trigger available for Savage actions, but it's **** hard to be a Timney 517 or 510 in a Rem without spending quite a bit more money.

My experience is that a Savage when built with quality components will definitely keep up with just about anything else in the accuracy department, but it doesn't keep up in feeding and extraction reliabily.

So final note is of I was build a single shot target rifle or general purpose hunting rifle and was satisfied with the triggers available for Savages I'd build on a Savage. It's cost effective and will be competitive with a bit of tuning.

If I needed something to run fast and reliable especially in austere conditions I would go Remage trued and everything by a reputable gunsmith or full custom.

I run a full custom currently that is threaded for the Savage barrel ten on. So, my problems are solved.

Robinhood
09-20-2015, 07:20 AM
I run a full custom currently that is threaded for the Savage barrel ten on. So, my problems are solved.
Rub that Mausingfield in our face

LoneWolf
09-20-2015, 07:51 AM
Rub that Mausingfield in our face
Well I can't help it. It's a piece of art that runs like you dream of a bolt running.

It's like poetry in motion, its so smooth you cycle the bolt and then have to remember that it did just happen!

Bginvestor
09-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Well I can't help it. It's a piece of art that runs like you dream of a bolt running.

It's like poetry in motion, its so smooth you cycle the bolt and then have to remember that it did just happen!

Whooah, that sounds nice! lol Thanks for the feedback wolf. My Dad go me excited for 338 Lapua (or one of the derivatives).. Its either going to be 6BR or 338

243LPR
09-20-2015, 07:20 PM
You could go with a Shilen action and have the best of both worlds. I will say though that Jewell triggers are a wonderful thing!

LoneWolf
09-20-2015, 07:21 PM
I tried the Shilen action and you still have the issue of it being a Savage bolt head. That's how I got to the Mausingfield.

https://youtu.be/t1-zgjLaW9s

LongRange
09-20-2015, 07:27 PM
Whooah, that sounds nice! lol Thanks for the feedback wolf. My Dad go me excited for 338 Lapua (or one of the derivatives).. Its either going to be 6BR or 338

Go 6BR...ive shot next to a couple of 338Ls and wasnt impressed with accuracy.

243LPR
09-20-2015, 09:32 PM
Go 6BR...ive shot next to a couple of 338Ls and wasnt impressed with accuracy.

Probably the shooters yanking the triggers on the beast!

LongRange
09-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Probably the shooters yanking the triggers on the beast!

Maybe but both were good shooters.

LoneWolf
09-21-2015, 08:46 AM
338LM is just like any other beast. Takes good load work up, a good rig, and solid shooter. Shot a buddy's Desert Tech in 338LM and had a 3 shot group that may have measured .345" edge to edge.

He ran a March 5-50x scope on it and got just about the same ballistics with 6.5x47L and the 338LM, so his 100yds zero was nearly identical between the 2 barrels.

Robinhood
09-21-2015, 11:05 PM

You worked for it. You needed to step up the the next level. I wish I had one.