PDA

View Full Version : Are all extractors the same ?

zap
09-19-2015, 04:46 PM
I am in the process of head spacing a new barrel and every time i close the bolt with my sized brass, I cannot extract the brass. I have to push the brass out with my cleaning rod. ( it pushes out VERY easy.)

Now, i just got done changing bolt heads from 223 to the 308 bolthead. I used the guts ( extrctor, ejector, and springs ) from the .223 head and put them in the new .308 head.

I have another bolt (.308) from another gun that I compared to the new one. I noticed that the extractor in this one looks to be shorter when viewing from the top.

So my question is : are the extractors all the same in 308 and 223, or are the machined to match the different case head sizes ?

pepper savage 111
09-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Some are different some are the same. I know that's vague but it is what it is. Some of the factory .223 extractors are longer. If you put the longer .223 extractor in a .308 bolt head, it'll bottom out against the inside wall of the action before it has a chance to "clip" around the head of the .308 case causing the brass, or go/no go gauge to ride on top of it instead of in it.

DO NOT headspace with the extractor in place if it is the longer one. Better yet, it's best and safest to headspace with a completely stripped bolt head. If you don't strip the bolt head, and you have a longer extractor, you'll get a false headspace and I wouldn't want to hear about what happens when you pull the trigger on a cartridge that isn't seated all the way into the bolt face.

zap
09-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Thank you, i will look into this tomorrow. I may swap the extractor with the other one and see of it works the way it should.

pepper savage 111
09-19-2015, 10:46 PM
No worries. I always headspace without the extractor and ejector. The extra minute it takes to disassemble the bolt head is cheap insurance. Especially when you're controlling an explosion 4 inches from your face.

foxx
09-19-2015, 11:25 PM
BTW, IF you are CAREFUL, you can shorten that extractor that is too long for the .308. Just grind it down a bit from the BACK end and round -off the corners with a fine file to remove any burrs.

zap
09-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys. I can shorten it up with my dremmel.

zap
09-20-2015, 12:33 PM
I shortened the extractor and it works perfectly now. I did take the ejector and extractor out when I did the headspacing. Great idea, safety always first. After I had headspace where I wanted it, I put the parts back in the bolt head and double checked and I am good to go.
I put together a lighter weight 6.5x47 Lapua with a criterion barrel and a Lady hunter stock. It looks awesome. I will try to get a pic up in picture post section next week. Thank you for the help all !!!

memilanuk
11-19-2015, 01:58 AM
Came across this thread looking for a fix for a long-term problem child - 12 LRP in 6.5 CM, some batches of Hornady brass have undersized extractor grooves and drop free on the way out of the chamber. It almost worked - the 'lip' on the .223 extractor is a little deeper than a .308 extractor... but once I trimmed it down enough to where it wasn't interfering with closing the bolt (used a file and went slow), this didn't work anymore either :(

Guess I'll have to make some 6.5 CM brass from Lapua Palma .308 - at least the primer pockets should last forever ;)

sharpshooter
11-19-2015, 03:00 AM
Monty, if your'e going to all that trouble you may as well rechamber to 6.5 x 47 Lapua.;)

memilanuk
11-19-2015, 11:36 AM
Fred,

I don't necessarily disagree... maybe when this barrel finally gives up the ghost. Stupid thing shoots too well to throw away yet ;)

Monte