PDA

View Full Version : savage target action questions

grumpygoblin
09-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Basically I have always wanted a single shot, AND I have always wanted a 22 k-hornet. Yes I know that I am overkilling it, and that there are other options out there, but I simply dont care. All the options (savage 40 and 25, or the cz 527) have one or two things that I don't like, so I would rather build ground up and have everything I want.

So I have recently learned about the savage target actions, and it got me to thinking. Shilen lists a 22 k hornet barrel option, that would give me a barrel.... then I would just need a bolt face and stock....

When looking for a stock on boyds, what are these actions listed under on the menu?

Is there any way to get a 22 hornet bolt face? I have read that PTG made them once, but I emailed them with no luck so far.

darkker
09-18-2015, 12:03 AM
Not going to go to Boyd's for you, but as with all savages it's about action spacing. From a stock standpoint I don't believe there is a difference in footprint other than the usual suspects.

The bolt head dimensions are close enough, my guess is that a standard small bolt face is the one they use.

grumpygoblin
09-18-2015, 02:38 AM
I apologize, I wasn't asking someone to go look it up for me. This would be my first centerfire savage, and savage simply lists the actions as "Target action", I have no idea what model they would be (10, 110, 12... its all new to me). And further complicating the stock search, I have read that action screws are much closer together than a standard action.

I was just hoping it was a quick answer... like.. "Oh yeah, you want a stock for a model 12 short action".

FW Conch
09-18-2015, 05:09 AM
Welcome to the "Brotherhood" "g g". At this point on your Savage journey, it would be good for you to read all of the FAQ's and get familiar with the search functions on the site. The $15 paid membership to the site will get you access to everything that is available and is the best money you can spend on a Savage. It's all here :-)

Good Luck-Good Shooting ... Jim :-)

Stonewall_Jackson
09-18-2015, 07:03 AM
AFAIK Savage only makes short action versions of the Target Action. There's a list of the different versions on their web site. All the actions they list are short actions meaning you only want the two digit style stocks (12, 10, whatever - not 110 or 112).

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/actions/target/

olddav
09-18-2015, 12:03 PM
Be aware that the target action has three action screws. Any stock that list a mag well will require tha the mag well be filled and the stock then drilled for the third screw. As always, I'm just guessing here.

LongRange
09-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Be aware that the target action has three action screws. Any stock that list a mag well will require tha the mag well be filled and the stock then drilled for the third screw. As always, I'm just guessing here.

you can shoot it with out the center screw...i did for about 8mos in a bell carlson A-5 then when i re-barreled i added the pillar and bedded.

rjtfroggy
09-18-2015, 04:16 PM
No Boyds does not make a stock for the TARGET ACTION.
The PTA has 3 screws and long range is correct you can leave out the center screw, but beware the new PTA's are 3.4 inch screw spacing not 4.4 so right now only custom stock makers do them and you better specify that you have the new version.

As for the 22 khornet bolt head GOOD LUCK I tried to find one a couple of years ago with no luck.

Iowa Fox
09-18-2015, 04:44 PM
I just bought a 18184 Target action in the box in July to build one for the matches in 2016. Working with Jim Briggs on a barrel this week, should hopefully have the details worked out next week so he can send the order in. Stocks seem to be the hardest thing to find for these actions. Neal Cooper used to make an excellent center core light weight laminate but unfortunately no one is doing them currently. If I knew what material he was using for the core I would lay up some myself. Also wish I knew who he was using for a stock cutter. Anyone here Know what the core material was and who cut them for him? If you shoot the matches where they weigh your gun before you pay your entry fee these actions are heavy and you have to watch every part you buy by quality and weight.

Have fun with your new action and keep us informed on your build progress. Do a LOT of research before you buy any pieces for your build.

Mozella
09-19-2015, 04:05 AM
I just fitted a Boyd's stock to my Model 12 LRP action and as far as I can tell it's identical to the Savage Target action I have on hand for a future build (if McMillan ever delivers my stock) with the following differences. The target action is single shot and has a center action screw while the 12 LRP action has a magazine slot and appropriate hardware to accommodate the magazine, which of course, eliminates the center action screw.

I haven't tried this, but it seems to me that if you could find a stock maker who had a pattern for the Model 12 LRP, you might be able to have them make a stock for that action but without cutting the magazine well. You would than have to make a hole for the center action screw and you'd be well on your way to bedding your target action. I have no idea of Boyd's would do this or not, but I suspect not. McMillan will inlet a stock for the target action but it costs a fortune and takes a half a year to get it.

Depending on what method a company uses to inlet their stocks, making a stock for a model 12 lrp action but without the magazine will might be easy or it might prove impossible. I imagine you would have to get on the phone and call around.

A second option would be to buy a Boyd's stock for the model 12 lrp action, fill the magazine well, and then bed the action. That would take care of the upper side. Then it would be simple enough to fill and contour the underside of the stock with colored (black?) filler which, done correctly, wouldn't look bad. Naturally, you would have to refinish the stock, but they use clear lacquer, so that's an easy job. Some simple inletting for the trigger guard would finish the job and that's something you could do with a Dremmel tool and a steady hand.

Or, if you're better at metal fabrication, you could make some bottom metal to inlet into the underside of the stock to cover the filled magazine well. Boyd's stocks are sold at what I consider to be a great price and I'm quite familiar with wood working and composite fabrication, so the modified Boyd's stock option might be a good choice for me if Boyd's wouldn't make a custom stock for the target action.

All this may not be your cup of tea, but perhaps it will give you something to think about. Good luck.

Stonewall_Jackson
09-19-2015, 07:56 AM
Doesn't HS-Precision sell stocks for the Target Actions now?

https://www.stockysstocks.com/h-s-precision-pro-series-2000-savage-10fp-12-target-varmint-tactical-single-shot-repeater-stocks-psv-102-106-118-121.html

I know people have issues with HS-Precision but that's old news IMO. They list the different size screw measurements. They list a few different sizes and styles including blind mag styles and single shot action styles. Savage uses HS-Precision stocks on some models that use the Target Action. That's what is on my 12 LRPV.

yobuck
09-19-2015, 09:12 AM
There are people who are simply stock duplicators. Some stock makers dont own their own duplicator and have it done for them.
I see no reason the mag well couldnt be eliminated during the process. A pattern, meaning a stock to copy is necessary however.
But some duplicators have a large inventory of patterns.
Gluing up your own blank isnt rocket science especially with wider laminates. And there are places who deal in all types of dry wood
primarily for furniture and cabinet builders.

DanSavage
09-19-2015, 10:19 AM
HS precision makes Target Action stocks. My friend picked up a slightly used 22-250 Target action rifle in a HS precision stock for $800 at a gun store in P.A.,, I think it's called Grice's. Seem's to be the cheapest way to get the action and stock that you want.

One thing to note, is the Target Action takes a Large Shank Barrel.

Regard's
Dan

Stonewall_Jackson
09-19-2015, 12:06 PM
HS precision makes Target Action stocks.

You didn't read my post did you? ;) :smile-new:

DanSavage
09-19-2015, 01:27 PM
You didn't read my post did you? ;) :smile-new:

Sorry Stonewall,, I did read it,, I was going to add HS precision makes stock's like mentioned above by Stonewall, but I hadn't enough coffee in my system yet.LOL

snowgetter1
09-19-2015, 04:16 PM
I have a left port right bolt PTA that is three screw and a 4.40" spacing. As long as you can get a 4.40" spacing action it will work in any 4.40 stock.

Iowa Fox
09-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Here are a couple examples of Neal Coopers stocks. I know that somewhere in stock carving land someone has a CNC program for them. I just need to find them if possible. Notice the black center core on the red one. It took the place of aluminum pillars or aluminum bedding blocks. Nice stocks.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2n1gz6g.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/351ztkl.jpg

Ratbuster
10-06-2015, 03:39 AM
I have two new target actions and two new Boyds thumb hole stocks. The stocks have a blind magazine so there is no hole in the bottom of the stock, just a void you can optionally fill if you want to. Screw spacing is perfect although only the front and rear are used which I think is fine. If you want to use the middle screw fill the void with a pine block and epoxy. Then pillar and bed. The Boyds thumb hole stock is very comfortable, string and great looking. Best of all it's only $99. You can order the two action screws from Boyds as well