PDA

View Full Version : min bullet bearing surface

Monkeymaster
06-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Hi,
I finished reloading the 1st 338-06 rounds with the nosler 180 grn accubonds.
In finding my seating depth of .015 to .025 off the lands, I find when I compare an loaded round to a separate bullet, that there is only about 3/16 inch of bullet bearing surface in the case neck.
The accubonds have a boat tail, which obviously makes for less bearing surface in the case neck, then if it did not.
I would be unconcerned if there was 1/4 inch or better in the neck.
What is the minimum length of contact surface , when loading HUNTING rounds ?
Is there a rule of thumb ?
Would the diameter of the bullet, in this case .338, be a minimum one would try to achive ?
I have not read anything about this in the 6 plus reloading manuals I have ?
Any help would be great.
Thanks

helotaxi
06-06-2010, 02:05 PM
I've heard a minimum of one caliber worth of neck to bullet contact as a good rule of thumb for a repeater. The problem with having less is that the bullets in the magazine may back out of the case under recoil. This is especially an issue with heavy bullets and stout recoil.

180gn is pretty light for .338, no? The reality is that you usually can't load light bullets for caliber close to the lands and keep enough bullet in the case. You will probably have to load shorter.

tammons
06-06-2010, 02:52 PM
What is your COL ??

At 3.4" which will barely fit in a magazine, you should have about 1/4"

I would say for safety at least 1/4" so you will probably have to jump them more.

Monkeymaster
06-07-2010, 08:04 PM
COL
is 3.480 inches, and they fit inside the center feed magizine with about 1/16 inch to spare.
Yes, they are light for caliber, but I want to have the flatest trajectory for mule deer and possibly elk,
without going to a 300 or 338 mag and shoot a heavier bullet than my .250 savage, .257 rbrts, .270,
300 savage, 308 or 30-06, can at 2800 to 2900 fps.
The 308 and 30-06 will shoot 180 and 200 grn bullets, but they have more bearing surface, thus cause more pressure and not as much fps.
Plus I built this rifle, the others I bought as is.
I see hornady makes a 200 grn interlock, and speer makes a 200 grn hot core,anyone have any experience with those ?
Thanks!
PS, Those red head camo garments are great, THANKS AGAIN !

Eric in NC
06-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Try crimping them if that is the length you want to work with. See if a Lee crimp die lets you keep the accuracy you want (back of the charge a bit when you crimp and work back up)

snipecatcher
06-08-2010, 11:16 AM
I say for hunting rounds they should be OK. The best load in my 6.5x55 uses a 140 grain Gameking seated just off the lands, and has about the same amount of "gripping" surface on the neck as you do. I also use a Lee collet neck sizing die, and put just enough tension to hold the bullet. If I can't pull them out by hand, they are fine with me. I think it also helps that your rounds fit so close to the full magazine length, as they cannot move enough under recoil to gain momentum and possibly pull bullets. Take your caliper with you the next time you go shooting and measure a couple rounds out of the magazine after firing.
-Dan

tammons
06-08-2010, 12:03 PM
How about a 185 GR barnes tipped TSX.
You can crimp into a groove on that bullet.

The 210 gr TTSX is the one I like for Hogs.
Its a real sledge hammer.
Got some new 338-06 test loads over RL17 ready to go.

Actually a 160 gr TTSX will be the speed king. You can get about 3250 out of those.
I dont think a mule deer would know the difference between a 180 gr jacketed bullet and a 160 gr TTSX bullet.
They are really short though. I have mine loaded at 3.3" col.

As far as bearing surface on the bore, while it does affect pressure, I dont see it as an ultimate
as far as bullet choice, besides when the bullet is longer the BC is higher and it will hold a flatter trajectory farther out
probably canceling the slightly slower speed.

I am shooting the 208 gr amax over RL17 and getting 2560 fps out of a 22" barrel. It has a ton of bearing surface.
2600 is doable hanging the bullet out farther and using neck sized win brass. With a 26" barrel you could get 2700 fps.

I have heard good thinks about the interbond bullets.

The 200 gr interlock is a flat base bullet so maybe a bit more bearing surface and a lower BC than the boat tail interbond.
The interlock is a cheap bullet though at $30 per 100.