PDA

View Full Version : Stock suggestions, lightweight build

KTP
09-16-2015, 05:47 PM
Gang I'm looking to build a lightweight long action (accutrigger, top bolt release most likely) 7mm Rem mag. I'd like the stock to be synthetic and as light as possible without sacrificing rigidity. I'd also like it be of a hunter model as that's exactly what I plan to do with it.
Please share your experiences and what has worked for you in an aftermarket stock.
Thanks

jpdown
09-16-2015, 10:13 PM
The Stockade Gunstock Hunter model with blind mag is the best I have found for a lightweight, ridged LA build. About as light (28 to 32 oz) as your going to find a custom stock at an affordable price. Flat forearm is easy to grip and also rides the bags well when doing load development. However, the wait can be many months.

KTP
09-16-2015, 11:40 PM
Thank JP. Kevin does make a great stock. I've owned a couple. I've got to find my action and then maybe I'll give him a call.

jpdown
09-17-2015, 01:31 AM
Have you considered just going with the Savage 111 LWH, selling the 20" barrel as a new take off and screwing a Savage factory 22" 7mm RM sporter barrel onto the LWH stocked action? That's what I did after trying to build a light weight hunting rifle with a standard Savage action and various aftermarket stocks for many years. The Savage LWH action and stock are lighter and actually cheaper option in the long run if a Savage LW hunting rifle is your desired objective. The Savage LWH walnut stock weights around 1 lb, 11 oz. It is plenty ridged and comes with a 1" Pachmyr decelerator recoil pad already installed to tame the recoil inherent with a LW rifle. Apply a few applications of duracoat epoxy paint in color or clear to seal and weather/oil proof the wood and a hardwood stock is as tough and durable as any composite stock I own. And no one but you will know it's not an expensive custom stock.

The picture below shows my long range hunting rifle build using a Savage 111 LWH action and stock and a 23" FW contour barrel (2.0 lbs) in 280AI. This rifle weights 7.4 lbs with the Leupold VX-3, 4.5-14 x 40mm scope, upgraded metal trigger guard and original factory synthetic DBM frame assembly and magazine bottom cap. If I had used Talley LW rings it would have shaved a few more ounces off the weight.

Also pictured is a Savage SA factory hardwood stock I air brushed with Duracoat woodland tan and Krylon black webbing paint. I installed a 1" Pachmyr decelerator recoil pad to tame recoil. This stock weights 2 lbs, 5.5 oz. bare. It is currently listed for sale in the classified section. The Savage 11/111 LWH is my go to hunting rifle these days. The older I get, the more I appreciate a light hunting rifle in 6.5mm, or 7mm caliber if I need a little heavier grain bullet.

Savage Arms is offering a $75.00 rebate on the Savage LWH models at this time. Check Buds Gun Shop online for competitive pricing.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0016_zps3152a530.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0016_zps3152a530.jpg.html)

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0055_zpsrqbcpbwb.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0055_zpsrqbcpbwb.jpg.html)

Twinsen
09-17-2015, 02:15 AM
The accustock is pretty light.

KTP
09-17-2015, 07:58 AM
JP Thanks again for the follow up article! Great information and definitely something to think about. I've been stubborn about buying actions with the bolt release down low. Really don't like them but I may have to change my way of thinking. I also had in my head my stock had to be synthetic but you make some good points.

jpdown
09-17-2015, 03:38 PM
It only takes a little work with a dremel tool and sanding wheel to inlet a Savage CF, DBM and bottom bolt release stock to accept a Savage top/side bolt release action. A standard Savage action will drop fit into a Savage LWH stock. But they are still hard to find for sale. And Savage Arms Parts price is $289.00 for a new LWH stock. A good source for inexpensive discontinued or surplus Savage OEM stocks is Numrich Gun Parts. Google "Savage stocks Numrich" or "14 - Numrich Gun Parts". A walnut or hardwood blind magazine stock is going to be lighter than a laminated or DBM stock if you use the metal DBM frame assembly and magazine bottom cap. On a LW build, I usually go with the metal trigger guard, synthetic frame assembly and bottom cap to cut a few ounces. The synthetic Savage LA DBM frame assembly and bottom cap weight is 1.3 ounces verses 7 ounces for the metal parts. There is only about a 1.5 ounce weight difference between a standard Savage action and a LWH donor action. Most of the weight savings when doing a light weight Savage rifle build is in choice of barrel length and contour. For example, the 20" FW barrel used on the Savage LWH weights about 2 lbs verses 2 lbs, 6 oz for a 22" Savage factory sporter barrel.