PDA

View Full Version : any home brewers here?

EFBell
09-15-2015, 08:59 PM
My garage gets a lot of use for many things. Weld shop, wood work, meat processing, butchering, tinkering general fix it work, gun work and home brewing my own beer. I do all grain brewing, partial mash and extracts. Been doing it for almost 15 years. Anyone else Brewing in their garage?

and no, before you ask, no reloading... that gets done in the house... I have a room dedicated to that. :p

yobuck
09-16-2015, 10:07 AM
Theres a place in Saint Marys pa called the Straub brewing co. They have contracted to do all my brewing for 16 bucks a case.
All 4 cases a year, about 3 of which get consumed by friends.
I do spend considerable time at a few shops in the area that do great work machining, welding, and fabricating.
Elk county has about the lowest unemployment in the entire state. Those type shops along with the powder metal industry are the reason.

EFBell
09-16-2015, 06:56 PM
I have done many projects out there for Keystone Powdered Metals and some of the Hoegannes owned companies.

yobuck
09-17-2015, 10:02 AM
I have done many projects out there for Keystone Powdered Metals and some of the Hoegannes owned companies.

Their scattered all thruout the area, some large some small. Lots of demand for cdl drivers in the area also due to the fracking industry.
My major project for this year here is yet another portable shooting table/bench. A friend from the Lancaster area sent a very large but surprisingly
light military tripod here he had aquired. I have no idea what it had been used for but i knew immediatly what id be using it for. So did he which is why he sent it.
Ive had most of the parts fabricated and welded so now ive got a very good retired machinist lined up to finish it. He built one of my other benches years ago and actually designed
and built the rest we use. He also built some of the brackets we use to mount spotters together.
The top will be 1/4" aluminum plate which i had water jet cut in a diamond shape with rounded corners. A few other parts were also cut that way.
The top will be small in legnth/width as the whole thing will rotate 360 deg therefore theres no need for a big heavy top.
It will be setup with a rest that allows for both sand bags or return to battery depending on the gun used.
The whole thing will hopefully be under 30# and will allow for a very tall shooter to stand while shooting.
The top/rest parts are easily removed from the legs and will be stored inside my jeep.
The legs will be wrapped in a small plastic tarp and stored on the roof rack.
I really enjoy dreaming up things to build. But i could never justify buying the equiptment, never mind learning how to properly use
it in order to actually build them.

EFBell
09-26-2015, 04:58 PM
yobuck, is Keystone still in business? I lost contact with them some 5 or 6 years ago... I am pretty sure my main contact retired and then it got really quiet after that.

yobuck
09-27-2015, 09:59 AM
yobuck, is Keystone still in business? I lost contact with them some 5 or 6 years ago... I am pretty sure my main contact retired and then it got really quiet after that.

Just checked with a friend who works for a large p/m company in Ridgeway, and he said yes they are.
Apperently they had some problems a few years back but their bigger than ever now in Saint Marys.
Saint Marys is also known around the world for producing carbon related products.
And of coarse the world famous Straubs beer lol.

EFBell
09-27-2015, 11:06 AM
If I remember right Oil City is right down the road... ??? And there are some nice elk out there too

yobuck
09-27-2015, 06:07 PM
If I remember right Oil City is right down the road... ??? And there are some nice elk out there too

Oil city is pretty much straight west of Saint Marys by at least 75 miles. About half the distance to the Ohio line.
The Saint Marys area is where the first elk were released back in the 20s in the effort to reinstate the herd.
They have grown in numbers to the point they are now scattered thruout the region. Benezett is recognised to
be the heart of the area. A large visitors center and large viewing areas are located there. This is the prime time as the bugeling
is in full swing. It has become a major tourist atttraction. Im 20 miles east of Benezett and went thru there both yesterday and today.
The large campground there was full of campers.