PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 FCNS DBM for long range bench rest??

RegisG
09-14-2015, 05:41 PM
I want a 243 primarily for bench rest shooting up to 1250 yards. And occasional coyote shooting. I don't compete except with myself and am "almost" ready to pull the trigger on an 11 FCNS DBM.

Is it suitable for barrel upgrades in future or are there better starting choices?

Is there any Savage in same pricing area that I should look at first? Does this sound very good for what I've described or should I try to find a 10?

Appreciate advice on this.

Thanks,
Regis

Robinhood
09-14-2015, 07:31 PM
12 lrp 243

RegisG
09-14-2015, 09:27 PM
Robinhood, Ok, I do know that is the right tool for that kind of range but, I'll have to save a bit longer. I've read good about the 11 but, didn't know if that was reasonable entry for long range target.

Thanks for the straight forward answer. Looks like only about $400 more
Regis

12 lrp 243

Robinhood
09-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Shop around. New at buds it is <950 If I remember correctly. It has a usable stock. It is large shank. Has a rep for good accuracy. It is one of the most desired actions in the savage lineup. Save your money.

J.Baker
09-14-2015, 10:46 PM
For competition you really want/need a heavy barrel due to the number of shots being fired consecutively. A sporter barrel like on the FCNS will heat up after 3-4 rounds and start causing vertical stringing, whereas a heavy barrel will stay on it's mark for more rounds before it starts to climb. The 12 LRP that was previously mentioned would serve you much better, or the 12 Varmint Low Profile would be another option that's roughly $100 less.

RegisG
09-15-2015, 09:20 AM
For competition you really want/need a heavy barrel due to the number of shots being fired consecutively. A sporter barrel like on the FCNS will heat up after 3-4 rounds and start causing vertical stringing, whereas a heavy barrel will stay on it's mark for more rounds before it starts to climb. The 12 LRP that was previously mentioned would serve you much better, or the 12 Varmint Low Profile would be another option that's roughly $100 less.

You may have lead me to upgrade one month sooner.... And, I do like stainless. I don't plan on any type of official competition but, do want very good performance. Actually waiting a few minutes between shots doesn't bother me if the accuracy is there. But, if accuracy is not there, I would always be looking back to NOT taking that target rifle step.

Thank you,
Regis

romad97
09-15-2015, 10:15 AM
You can build yourself a nice rifle with a nice CBI or Shilen barrel for about the same price as buying one new. My only concern about the 243 in the LRP is that its a 9.25 twist which is a little slow for shooting the heavier bullets. I built a 243 for 1000 yards a couple of years ago. I wanted to shoot the 105 gr bullets at a minimum so I went with a shilen 8 twist barrel. I couldn't be happier and in the end it really didn't cost me much more than just buying a factory rifle. I was just patient and bought a lot of my parts used off of the classifieds.

RegisG
09-15-2015, 03:28 PM
You can build yourself a nice rifle with a nice CBI or Shilen barrel for about the same price as buying one new. My only concern about the 243 in the LRP is that its a 9.25 twist which is a little slow for shooting the heavier bullets. I built a 243 for 1000 yards a couple of years ago. I wanted to shoot the 105 gr bullets at a minimum so I went with a shilen 8 twist barrel. I couldn't be happier and in the end it really didn't cost me much more than just buying a factory rifle. I was just patient and bought a lot of my parts used off of the classifieds.
That's very interesting.
Thank you
Regis