PDA

View Full Version : Potential Savage Rifle Owner ....

Spudshooter
09-14-2015, 04:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

I hope some folks can help answer some questions regarding Savage Rifles. I am new to Rifle Hunting but not new to guns. Used shotguns since I was 12 to Dove, Rabbit, Turkey and Deer Hunt. In the 35 plus years since then I have never shot a center fire rifle, let alone hunt with one. Fast forward I now have a teen age son who wants to try rifle hunting.

So I am researching rifles and I am 90% sold on Savage but I am struggling with the fact that the clip and evidently part of the housing where the clip is inserted is plastic. Can someone share which models have plastic and which do not? On used guns is there some way to tell pre-plastic and post plastic guns/models?

My second question revolves around the gun models/features. Is there some place that lists recent savage models and the differences within them? Example I thought I had found a bargain in a Savage Model 11/111 Hunter XP Centerfire for $429 new until I found out that it does not have an adjustable trigger. But the Savage Model 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP for $529 new does have the adjustable trigger ....... Looking at the Savage website and Gunbroker it is hard to distinguish features between models.

Any suggestions on the 110 Series for Deer Hunting would be appreciated. I have decided on .243 caliber. I am no a gun purist - just functional/reliable/accurate.

Sorry if any of these questions are dumb but I am not literate in Savages and not very literate in the world of Rifles. Just for reference all of my shotguns are 30 to 50 year old Remingtons that have had zero problems so I do not look at guns often, I just hunt :) .

Thanks and best regards,

Spud ....

olddav
09-14-2015, 04:52 PM
I assume when you say "adjustable trigger" your speaking of an Accutrigger, and again I assume that the "non adjustable trigger" is not. Both are in fact adjustable, the non Accutrigger is a little harder than the Accutrigger but both can be set for a nice crisp feel. I think there are instruction on both in the "Articals" section of this sight.

I can't help you on the plastic parts identification.

Spudshooter
09-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Hi Oldav,

Yes I was referring to the Accutrigger.

Thanks,

Richard

Stickler
09-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Maybe the Savage website could help a bit........

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/allfirearms/

J.Baker
09-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Stick with the AccuTrigger. The older non-user adjustable triggers can be lightened up, but trigger work isn't for a novice as you've proclaimed that you are. Keep it simple, stick with the trigger that's designed to be user adjustable.

As for the plastic detachable box magazine (DBM) hardware, the following models all use the Axis style system which uses plastic components.

All Axis models
All Trophy Hunter models (package rifles)
Model 11/111 Lightweight Hunter models

Basically the cheaper models get the plastic bits and the premium models get the metal bits (Lightweight Hunter uses the plastic to save weight). Expect to spend $650+ to get the metal bits for a new rifle as you'll have to buy a 14/114 American Classic or a 16/116 Weather Warrior.

The 11 Hunter XP you refer to is the old series of package rifles that have been out of production since 2008 or 2009 (replaced by the Trophy Hunter series).

olddav
09-15-2015, 12:01 AM
J. Baker makes a good point.

Spudshooter
09-15-2015, 12:03 AM
Stick with the AccuTrigger. The older non-user adjustable triggers can be lightened up, but trigger work isn't for a novice as you've proclaimed that you are. Keep it simple, stick with the trigger that's designed to be user adjustable.

As for the plastic detachable box magazine (DBM) hardware, the following models all use the Axis style system which uses plastic components.

All Axis models
All Trophy Hunter models (package rifles)
Model 11/111 Lightweight Hunter models

Basically the cheaper models get the plastic bits and the premium models get the metal bits (Lightweight Hunter uses the plastic to save weight). Expect to spend $650+ to get the metal bits for a new rifle as you'll have to buy a 14/114 American Classic or a 16/116 Weather Warrior.

The 11 Hunter XP you refer to is the old series of package rifles that have been out of production since 2008 or 2009 (replaced by the Trophy Hunter series).

Thanks for the information. It looks like the big box retailers are not stocking the Model 14 on there web sites. I was hoping to stay in the sub $500, with $600 being a stretch. First pass at the top Google sites for the Model 14 look closer to $750, plus I will need a Scope. I hate spending this much on a first rifle for a teenager but by the same token I hate plastic in a gun ...... I guess I should look at it as gun for life.

You are right, I am a novice without a lot of time. What do you (or anyone else) recommend as a scope for the Model 14? The scope would need to be on low end/value side.

J.Baker
09-15-2015, 01:00 AM
For a budget friendly scope I'd look at the Redfield's. I've reviewed a couple now and in my opinion they offer the best quality for the money in the sub $200 range. A Redfield Revenge 3-9x42mm can be had for around $160, or you can step up to the 4-12x42mm for around $200. If you opt to step up to the Revolution line the 3-9x40mm ranges from $200 to $240 depending on the reticle, with the 4-12x40mm starting at $250.

As for models with the plastic bits, with today's formulations the plastic is plenty strong and durable. I have two Axis rifles and haven't had a single problem with the magazines on either. My next Savage will likely be a Trophy Hunter, also with the plastic magazine bottom plate. I'm more old-school and think guns should be high polish blued and have nice walnut stocks, but at the same time if it is durable, does the job and cuts the cost a little I'm not going to complain or shy away from it.

Here's an article with some photo's showing the different systems so you can compare and will know what to look for when you go shopping.

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?260-Savage-110-Detachable-Box-Magazine-Systems

tufrthnails
09-15-2015, 01:41 AM
Savage has a rebate going on right now also. Helps knock a bit of that cost down. http://sporting.myonlinerebate.com/10218/

Spudshooter
09-16-2015, 06:49 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. My local Dicks Sporting has the Axis XP on sale for $269 after rebate. Is this a good price?

Spudshooter
10-29-2015, 12:04 AM
Just an update and another thanks for help/suggestions. Was in Richmond Va at the BassPro Shops and they had the Axis XP II on sale for $349 after rebate. Ended up with the .270 as they only had the .270 and 30.06 left. Its a Christmas gift for my son so we will be shooting Christmas day :).

Stonewall_Jackson
10-29-2015, 01:34 AM
Actually there are different levels of quality for the AccuTrigger. There are at least 3 different models. You have the regular AccuTrigger and the target AT. The target AT sells separately for over $500. Savage isn't real clear on this but I hear people talking about a Varmint AT. Here's an example of a rifle that the reporter says has a varmint AT. It can't be the Target AT because it costs nearly as much as this whole rifle.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/11/gun-test-savage-12-model-varmint-rifle/

The Target AT has a red center blade and adjusts down to 6 oz.. It is available on certain rifles and as a stand alone trigger and action.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/actions/target/

There are references to a third type of trigger that is known as either the Varmint AT or the L.E. AT. I found it mentioned on this reputable web site:

http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?274-Factory-AccuTrigger-Part-Numbers

Again I can't find references to 3 distinct AT's on the Savage web site but Savage Shooters is a well known group of competition shooters that have been very successful using near stock Savage rifles up against custom built rifles.

olddav
10-29-2015, 09:49 AM
Spudshooter,

Your son should enjoy his new Axis. My brother and I just sighted in his new Axis in 30-06. We used Federal Power-Shok 150 grain ammo and it shot 1.25 groups at 100yrds right out of the box. Not bad for a entry level hunting rifle with cheap ammo.

godale
10-29-2015, 08:33 PM
when i bought my savage 114 in 2005 it cost me 585 out the door. since then they have gone up . but if you price them with the remmy bdl counterparts they are still more of a bargan today. mine is 30-06 the only regret i got was i didnt buy a 223 or 270 at the time too. if your not on a budget more for metal parts with the 14/114 is a better investment. although every axis i have seen has been a superstar down range.