PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis Heavy Barrel complete: Shooting into .20" repeatablly

triehl27
09-14-2015, 03:13 PM
So my local dealer had the Axis Heavy Barrels on for $289 - $50 rebate (whos gonna pass that up)

So I got the .308 (my 3rd Savage)

Break in, showed good potential, although a TERRIBLE trigger pull, 7.6# was the Lyman avg.

Trigger: followed the instructions in here about a 10mm bolt, found a good spring in the Hillman Parts section. Cut said spring in half, and used it on the trigger and side spring. I stoned the contact areas slightly and Flitz'd them with a felt wheel. 2.75# trigger, and it feels like snapping glass.

Scope: Originally I ran a SWFA SS 10X with a Weaver multi slot base and Weave tactical rings. An ok setup. I then tried a Vortex Viper, and then wanted better rings, but found the EGW Matched Rings have a full size MIL-STD-1913 crossbar that will fit picitinny, but NOT Weaver rails, as it's too thick for weaver slots

Final Set up is a EGW Picitinny Rail, with EGW Matched 30mm Scope rings, and a Vortex Viper 6.5-24 Scope. Overall the quality upgrade is totally apparent over the Weaver rings and rail, with EGW.

For now since it is not impacting performance at all I am keeping the Stock.

With this setup I am consistently getting 1 hole groups that when you subtract .308 from are in the .15"-.22" range

I have a custom Rem 700 that is a .25" rifle with FGMM and HSM 168Match, it has several $1000's of $$$ into it, and the Axis does the same at well under $1000.
Not bad for a $239 rifle, with a $150 worth of work and parts, and $900 scope.

Rosco
09-14-2015, 04:49 PM
The Axis is not very well respected even among the budget class of bolt-action rifles. Nevertheless, I have quite a few and have found them to be better than average shooters with a little work. My .308 doesn't print groups that small but when I do my part it is mostly a sub-moa gun, and you will find a few other guys on this board that have had the same experience. I sit at the range with guys that have $2500.00+ Remmy's,Winchesters etc.. and can shoot right along with them no problem.

rfd12fv
09-14-2015, 05:10 PM
i think the axis hb is for the very most part both a terrific value and good to great performing bolt action. its short coming is that nasty trigger, but as noted by many, a diy job on it will take care of that issue. add in some decent glass and good cartridges and yer good to go for critters, gongs or paper.

vincent7
09-15-2015, 11:44 PM
sounds great, what load / bullet are you using?