PDA

View Full Version : shoot 5 inch to right at 400 mtrs

Pages : 1 [2]

LoneWolf
09-18-2015, 09:04 PM
I understand that. Not trying to argue. I've shot sub 1.5" groups at 415yds with my 243Win. But I had someone spot and get me on target. I had a 2-3mph wind in the mountains. I've also shot lots of matches over the last 2 years. Even 300WM with heavy pills drift. They don't fully beat the 6-6.5's until you start pushing passed 800-1000yds depending on velocity and bullets used.

I say this not because I disagree with you, but if the opp could not spot his hits until walking up to the target and the wind was relatively consistent it would be my first guess.

Another thing is the known possibility of the barrelnut system not having perfect alignment due to loose threads.

Lastly is shooter related. Recoil path consistent, but pushing left into the should causing impacts to the right, canted scope or some other thing.

Sometimes a good shooter is good be causing they consistently make the same error so well all they have to do is correct there equipment for it. (i.e. adjust your scope and take notes in your dope chart)

D.ID
09-19-2015, 12:08 AM
Cant.
Or it could be Cant........ but it is most likely just Cant.
Of course in rare occasions it appears to be Cant when it's actually....... Cant.

eddiesindian
09-19-2015, 01:21 AM
5"s @ 400 seems like a lot but IMO...it isn't. Could it be cant?......sure why not?......I just believe its something as simple as ...."wind"
30cal pills out of a 300 doesn't equate to better coeff.

Stonewall_Jackson
09-19-2015, 03:34 AM
I say this not because I disagree with you, but if the opp could not spot his hits until walking up to the target and the wind was relatively consistent it would be my first guess.

It certainly helps a lot to be able to see where your shots are hitting. The 400 yard range at my gun club has the benefit of having a rocky, dusty high wall behind where the targets are placed. If I place the targets close enough to that high wall I can see where most of my shots are hitting. That is a great asset in learning to shoot that distance. It helped me learn to shoot at that distance. Without that benefit it would have taken far longer to achieve any kind of accuracy. Just asking everyone else on the range to stop shooting while I hike half a mile just to look at a target where I can't really tell what happened anyway - it seemed like an impossible task to be honest. I always learned to shoot long distance from the time I was a kid by picking a place where I could see the dust kick up. I know a spotter would certainly help but that's a slow process too compared to being able to see where my bullets hit. The weight of my LRPV has helped also because it stays on target enough that I can get my view back before the bullet reaches out 400 yards. It helps tremendously to be able to tell when the wind is moving my bullets around and there is no better way than being able to see for myself where my bullets hit.

I would strongly suggest setting up some sort of situation what the OP could see his bullets hit so he can pay attention to the wind conditions and see for sure if they are the cause of his problem. Of course it is possible. I'm skeptical that it's the issue because of the constant distance his shots are off. It sounds like one of the other things you mentioned. I really am not sure how he figures his shots to be off the same amount every time if that is exactly what said. I maybe got the wrong idea. It's easy to do on the net. It could be something as wind but being off the same amount every time makes me think the spin of his bullets may not be exactly true. They might fly fairly true for 300 yards then be wobbling just enough to veer off after the speed drops some. I don't even know exactly what he means by "shoots fine" except for shooting at 400 yards. I've seen bullets fly more true past 300 yards than they do before that distance. The bullets stablize I guess and they are just as accurate at 400 yards as they are at 300 yards. What I'm trying to say is that they don't follow the normal expansion of MOA but shoot the same size groups at 400 as they do 300. Bullets can do funny things. A little bit of odd spin can make for some crazy results. Not many barrels are perfect so it can happen.

It takes being able to eliminate all other factors to know something like that is happening though. It's the last thing I would guess is the cause but it is possible. Spin that's off just a slight amount can start causing problems past a certain distance. I've seen that before. IMO that's the difference between a really good rifle and just a good rifle. The really good rifle makes the bullet spin better and they fly more true.

Robinhood
09-19-2015, 12:50 PM
Another thing is the known possibility of the barrelnut system not having perfect alignment due to loose threads.

This is why every component in the action barrel system has to be machined (or ground) on axis and perpendicular, including the nut. It helps to have threads as close to class 3 as well. Some smiths do not true the threads to the center line of the action. That is ok if you can dial in each distance but for going from 100 to 400 and expecting dope charts to get you on the x, more often than not you will realize disappointment.