PDA

View Full Version : How man offroaders here?

tufrthnails
09-13-2015, 06:55 PM
Been a while since I have had time to tinker with it, but I run mildly modified 2002 Jeep Wangler TJ.
Me playing around in SC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBTDl_neQ_k

J.Baker
09-13-2015, 11:12 PM
I have three hobbies, but can only afford to indulge myself with one at a time. Lately it's been guns so no Jeep or motorcycle in the garage at present. Here's a pic of my old CJ-5 though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/1979_Jeep_CJ5.jpg

yobuck
09-14-2015, 02:19 PM
I have three hobbies, but can only afford to indulge myself with one at a time. Lately it's been guns so no Jeep or motorcycle in the garage at present. Here's a pic of my old CJ-5 though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/MrFurious45833/1979_Jeep_CJ5.jpg

Thats a nice cj, is that a f/g tub?
I currently run a 2006 rubicon unlimeted. That was the last year for the smaller body style.
Any jeep without locking rears is simply another 4 wheel drive vehicle. And a 4 wheel drive vehicle without lockers
on ice isnt any better than 2 wheel drive. Trust me on that as i have sad memories regarding it. Lockers and studded tires
or chains for bad roads or leave it in the garage.

J.Baker
09-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Nope, all steel tub. Floor front to rear and rear wheel wells were replaced with 1/8" thick steel diamond plate and a set of 1/8" thick steel quarter panel and corner guards were welded in place of the rusted out original quarters. 8.8 Ford rear end with an Ox locker and a D44 out front with a limited slip diff. Power came from a slightly built 304 AMC with a 3-spd, twin stick D20, 4" suspension + 2" body lift running 35" ProComp MT's.

Only problem was it was a CJ-5 which limits how much legroom you have and it was just too cramped for me. My bad back at the time didn't help much either. lol

If Jeep were still offering the Wrangler Unlimited in a 2-door version I'd already have one, but they lost my interest when they dropped it after 2006.

yobuck
09-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Nope, all steel tub. Floor front to rear and rear wheel wells were replaced with 1/8" thick steel diamond plate and a set of 1/8" thick steel quarter panel and corner guards were welded in place of the rusted out original quarters. 8.8 Ford rear end with an Ox locker and a D44 out front with a limited slip diff. Power came from a slightly built 304 AMC with a 3-spd, twin stick D20, 4" suspension + 2" body lift running 35" ProComp MT's.

Only problem was it was a CJ-5 which limits how much legroom you have and it was just too cramped for me. My bad back at the time didn't help much either. lol

If Jeep were still offering the Wrangler Unlimited in a 2-door version I'd already have one, but they lost my interest when they dropped it after 2006.

Well you spent a fortune on that cj for sure. I had a 79 cj7 which i wrecked, and hadnt done nearly what you did with yours and i had spent alot also.
My current 06 rubicon unlimited is a totaly different vehicle in every way. Mine is factory stock as for lift as at my age i have enough trouble getting in the thing as it is.
If not for the hand holds on the roll bar i couldnt get in. I have the factory hard top with a full roof rack and a 9000 lb warn winch. Otherwise its original.
Its garage kept with less than 65000 miles on it. It gets used for the 5 or 6 months a year im in PA only.

yobuck
09-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Been a while since I have had time to tinker with it, but I run mildly modified 2002 Jeep Wangler TJ.
Me playing around in SC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBTDl_neQ_k

We have lots of places like that here for off roading. At this point in my life im carefull where i go unless someone is with me.
We commonly just go off thru the woods in order to get to a spot we want to hunt. A chain saw is a must have pc of equiptment
in the vehicle at all times. I also use the jeep to get to and pull deer up the steep hillsides in remote areas. I have a garden hose reel
strapped to the spare tire with about 500 yds of 1800 lb muletape stored on it as you would line on a fishing reel. Weve pulled 2 at a time
from some really bad spots.

tufrthnails
09-14-2015, 08:24 PM
We have lots of places like that here for off roading. At this point in my life im carefull where i go unless someone is with me.
We commonly just go off thru the woods in order to get to a spot we want to hunt. A chain saw is a must have pc of equiptment
in the vehicle at all times. I also use the jeep to get to and pull deer up the steep hillsides in remote areas. I have a garden hose reel
strapped to the spare tire with about 500 yds of 1800 lb muletape stored on it as you would line on a fishing reel. Weve pulled 2 at a time
from some really bad spots.
One of these days I'm gonna make it up to PA to wheel Rausch Creek. My buddy down here is from PA and says the place is awesome. I have seen tons of vids from the place, but you know funds and time are always the issue with any hobby.

Oxn316
09-14-2015, 10:44 PM
I love wheeling. I built my current truck in 2008 and am still wheeling it. Let's see if I can get a pic to post.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m116/oxn316/Resampled952012-05-069514-01-079.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/user/oxn316/media/Resampled952012-05-069514-01-079.jpg.html)

tufrthnails
09-15-2015, 01:44 AM
Sweet rig Oxn. I like seeing full size out and about. where is the pic from?

yobuck
09-15-2015, 09:38 AM
There are quite a few nice suv type vehicles today that make for nice off road rigs.
The Nisson Extera is an example. Also the old jeep Cherokee is still very popular around here.
My son is looking for a Florida cherokee he can bring and leave here. Rust can be an issue with
northern ones having the unibody. I googled Rausch creek and found its about 3 hrs from here.
I believe it said about 4000 acres. Our property borders the Quehanna Wilderness area which has
50.000 acres. And thats but a very small portion of the area in general. There are a few off road
clubs in the area who seem to be pretty active. Eagle Valley Offroad is one of them. For me its not
so much of a hobby as it is a nesessity to have a vehicle to get me where i want to go with all the
gear i have with me. Im not really into driving and pulling myself up dry creek beds to get to the top of a mountain.
The best of the best vehicle is still the duell purpose bikes for off roading. Far less cost and unlimited to where you can go.
Unless the wife, kids and dog want to go also.

Oxn316
09-15-2015, 06:02 PM
That's actually a s10 blazer with a solid axle swap. I'm from ohio and that pic is at southington offroad park. The. Lazer has been all over ohio, pa and west Virginia

J.Baker
09-19-2015, 12:09 AM
Well you spent a fortune on that cj for sure. I had a 79 cj7 which i wrecked, and hadnt done nearly what you did with yours and i had spent alot also.
My current 06 rubicon unlimited is a totaly different vehicle in every way. Mine is factory stock as for lift as at my age i have enough trouble getting in the thing as it is.
If not for the hand holds on the roll bar i couldnt get in. I have the factory hard top with a full roof rack and a 9000 lb warn winch. Otherwise its original.
Its garage kept with less than 65000 miles on it. It gets used for the 5 or 6 months a year im in PA only.

I didn't, the friend I bought it off of did. I paid $5,000 for it as seen in the photo above. Heck of a deal which is why I really hated to let it go, but I got to play with it for a year or so and still made a nice profit on it to boot.

yobuck
09-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Which prooves the best time to buy (or sell) is whenever a good oppurtunity presents itself.
Otherwise its coulda, shoulda, woulda.