PDA

View Full Version : stevens

brock2013
06-05-2010, 03:34 PM
How can I adjust the trigger on it. I looked in the FAQ's but the exqmple there is diferent than mine

Blue Avenger
06-05-2010, 05:20 PM
you need to find an older trigger and swap it with yours.

LHitchcox
06-05-2010, 09:29 PM
The stock trigger can be made quite decent by replacing the L shaped wire trigger return spring. It is found outside on the right side of the trigger. The factory wire is entirely too heavy. Adjusting it light enough to get a good pull will usually leave the trigger unsafe in a bump. Most people use music wire of about .040 to make the replacement spring. I got my wire from .243shooter here. He gave away a bunch of wire during the last couple of years. Others have had good luck using the wire off a spinnerbait.

After replacing the wire, adjust the trigger screws. You can get the trigger down to 3# with a relatively clean pull. My son bought a Stevens 200 in .308 Win. The trigger pull was off the scale and very gritty with a long takeup. Using the above steps, the pull is now a clean 2.75#.

Wtex
06-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the tip. Have no idea how heavy my Stevens trigger pull is but it is affecting my accuracy. Will take mine
apart and see if I can find that spring you talk about.

LHitchcox
06-06-2010, 09:43 AM
The secret to a safe trigger is to keep enough tension on the lighter wire that the trigger won't bump off when jarred. If you can't find any suitable wire PM me and I will send you a piece of leftover wire from .243shooter. He sent me enough to do 10 rifles. :D

Old spinnerbait wire (or new for that matter) will work well. I looked at various hardwire stores locally for .041 music wire and had no luck. Then .243shooter advertised here for free wire for a SASE. If in a hurry, I would cannibalize a spinnerbait with the appropriate sized wire. They are made of good steel.

hailstone
06-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Depending on your location hobby stores selling model airplane construction materials will have the spring steel wire. In my area bottom bouncer jigs have spring steel wire although I haven't measured them for diameter. Automotice stores with spring assortments you may find a return spring with hooks on both ends that have long straight wire ends sometimes called clutch/brake return springs. At one time Menards, Lowes and Home Depot had wire assortments in both one and three foot lengths.

Wtex
06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks LHithcox for the offer, I'll check my spinnerbaits and see what I have and may send you a PM, only have 1 Stevens. hailstone I'll see what I can find in area stores.