PDA

View Full Version : All Pieces, Dies, Bullets Bought... NOW to Swap the BARREL

Pages : 1 [2]

FishinFool
10-29-2015, 09:13 PM
I (re)-sized 10 of my LC Machine-Gun "fat-body brass" casings in the Redding Small Base Body Die and That did it. Now they just slide in and out of the chamber with the operation of the bolt like those sweet lapuas. Can see where the lower 1/4" - 1/3" of casing above extractor groove is being rubbed / burnished to a high-shine by the passage through the die.

If the same case is then Re-Run into the die, though, it had still better have Lube on it or you can feel that it will lock. The Lapuas will go through the die without Any Lube. (just had to see what difference still remains between LC and Lapua even after the Small Base die treatment). The LC is still larger diameter as it must be rebounding, but not enough to cause any friction in the chambering of the round anymore.

Hornady's Spray Sizing Lube is actually doing a very good job of controlling the sizing effort in the press. Started by using only the heavier-duty (green tin ?) wax for the original full-length sizing operation as I think it was needed. For this "secondary sizing" though, that Hornady spray lube was excellent. (If your not using this Spray stuff on your Pistol brass and a good application to your .223 casings you're missing out on some easy living ;-)

So, there's the up-date for the most recent problem's solution. Time to fire-up the Charge Master and roll some for shootin' this weekend!

243LPR
10-30-2015, 02:09 PM
You should never need that small base die again with the Lapua brass.

barrel-nut
10-30-2015, 04:57 PM
You should never need that small base die again with the Lapua brass.

^ this. If you do, either your chamber is cut very tight, or your full length die is cut loose or sloppy, or your loads are extremely hot. But I think you'll be ok now.