PDA

View Full Version : savage mdl 25 lv 204

dozernomore
06-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I just picked the savage mdl 25 204 last week,,,picked up some hornady 32gr and 40gr V-max factory ammo,,shot 23 rds last Saturday,,and it was definitely was leaning towards the 40gr,,although the 32gr wasn't,t far behind,,40 sub moa,,32 shoots just over moa..thought this wasn't bad at all,,this gun definitely has some potential,,went home cleaned er good,,went out again the day after shot another twenty rounds[after I removed barrel and lightened the accu trigger))point of impact was 1'' higher then previous day but grouping was better,,,not complaining,,figured maybe I torqued the 3 stock bolts a little tighter then factory setting,,explaining my tighter groups and p.o.i. 1'' higher,,,,I did do quite a bit of research on here and various sites on the net,,,sure the bolt is a little small in diameter,,plastic clip,plastic trigger guard,,pinned barrel,,,,but also read that this rifle likes to have a few rounds down the tube before you really see the groups,,so before i went again today,,I measured concentricity on a box of 32gr v-max,,,and decided to shoot he worst runout's first to foul my barrel...still shot moa with my first 6 shot's,,and thing were still getting tighter,,finally my last group of 6 rounds,one shot was a flier still making it .7 moa,,the remaining 5 shot's .3 moa,,,,WOW,,,this gun's definitely a KEEPER,,,good work SAVAGE !!
the only problem now is i was planning on reloading for improved accuracy,,I guess I gotta try to match accuracy lol.

oldguy
06-05-2010, 06:43 PM
My 25 in 223 cal will shoot with my Model 12 BTVS, under .500 @ 100 consistently, the Model 25 is an over looked excellent varmint rifle in the Savage line.

dozernomore
06-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I couldn't agree more,,,I also own a stevens 200 in 223 ,and it's a sub moa also with my handloads

sinman
06-05-2010, 10:13 PM
the 25 is over looked by the guys that want to modify them by switching barrels and or stocks and what not. The model 40 and the rim fires have similar actions to the 25 and those are great too

bobcat30
06-10-2010, 02:03 AM
had this rifle in .204 and ill tell you what it would not shoot factory ammo worth a crap nor would it shoot handloads. best was 1 1/2 at a 100 not good. Needless to say sent it down the road as there is nothing you can really do to these models for improvement.

oldguy
06-10-2010, 09:13 AM
had this rifle in .204 and ill tell you what it would not shoot factory ammo worth a crap nor would it shoot handloads. best was 1 1/2 at a 100 not good. Needless to say sent it down the road as there is nothing you can really do to these models for improvement.

I would have returned it to savage,perhaps for barrel or recrown, all of these I've seen locally are tack drivers out of the box.

bobcat30
06-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I was able to trade for model 12 in 204 which gave me barrel nut ;D and heavy barrel. It also keyholed everything thru it got my money back basically the shop owner helped me out and took care of it.Pays to have people in higher places i guess. Im happy for the rest that have had excellent luck. Bought it with intensions of it bein a good carry gun which it woulda Happy shooting savage nuts!!!

dozernomore
06-10-2010, 07:18 PM

sorry to hear about that,,,all I know mine is a keeper,,and sub moa,with 32gr &40gr hornady v-max factory ammo,,have some handloads ready to shoot for some load development,,and looking forward to it..
also I think you should have sent it back to savage,I believe I read somewhere,that savages standards on varmint rifles should be at least moa.

bobcat30
06-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Smith did send it back to them. The crown was bad i guess so they fixed it and sent it back everyone is happy and i do love my 12 too so is what it is i guess