PDA

View Full Version : Action out of alignment

Guipago
09-09-2015, 07:53 PM
I have a FCP-K in .308 which has an action that is .020 thou. out of alignment from front to the back due to the heat treatment in production(it's just in spec's) but it's the rear section which is lower, which means I have to shim the front of the action(have done this) & scope mount to "true it" so to speak, shoots great, but, the question is.
Can I use a bit of force with vices, blocks & bars to re-twist the action straight?? Or is the action not up to a bit of pushing or pulling to straightening it?? The shims just plain out annoy me.

Thanks Geoff

darkker
09-09-2015, 08:54 PM
1) shoots great
2) Can I use a bit of force with vices, blocks & bars to re-twist the action straight?? Or is the action not up to a bit of pushing or pulling to straightening it?? The shims just plain out annoy me.

1) So it ain't broke, but you want to....Fix it??
2) Any time you start working metal you will cause a change in the hardness due to working it. Whether or not that will cause a "problem" is unknown.

I'm not certain I follow exactly what is "wrong" with the action anyhow. Are you saying the tang is lower? If the notion of shimming causes you grief, why not just properly relieve and bed it, so as not to see anything?

Guipago
09-09-2015, 10:36 PM
I can shim the action & mount up so it will put a smile on anyones face BUT if I sell it & the next owner removes the shims, doesn't understand what there for, then the rifle will shoot very large groups from 3/8" at 100(shimmed) to 4" at 100(without) it's that bad, so in all faith I couldn't sell a rifle with this characteristic, so if the action can be made truer I'll give it a go, I spent 30 yrs as a motorcycle tech so have got an idea of what to do, always good to find out if someone has done it beforehand for any little tricks though. And yes the tang is lower.

foxx
09-09-2015, 11:03 PM
I don't know if it can be straightened, either, but I think the "fix" is what darker suggested... Bed it if you don't like the idea of using shims. If the next owner doesn't understand the action requires bedding to be accurate, then tell him so when you sell it. What's wrong with selling someone an accurate rifle that has been bedded for accuracy?

Frankly, I don't "get it."

There's nothing "wrong" with the action. If it is in spec, it is in spec. If it needs bedding, so what? It is what it is.