PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90

hereinaz
11-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Note to self. Do not buy a used SWFA scope from hereinaz. :pNo kidding... LOL

Got the new rings on it to see what she shoots like.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hereinaz
11-09-2017, 09:47 PM
I got barely noticeable "heavy bolt lift" and slight ejector marks on some of my brass. Looks like a tight savage chamber at work.

Shooting 130 gr. Federal Match Berger factory loads in my 12fv in 6.5 creedmoor.

I was testing velocity as I broke in barrel. Once I am done I will post the velocities of a few boxes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

foxx
11-10-2017, 01:03 AM
I have a similar problem. I also used a 20 MOA base and my Vortex Golden Eagle bottomed out with the POI about 1" above the POA at 100 yards. This isn't a problem for me since my load work up targets have aiming bulls 1.5 MOA below the desired impact area. .

Since this gun will eventually become my 1000 yard gun, perhaps I will just leave things as they are.

Nothing's wrong. Very common. Simple issue of not having enough vertical adjustment range due to your 20 moa base when shooting at extremely close range. As you know, 20MOA bases are used to allow you to extend the long range limits of your scope. They can't do that without also limiting their short range limits. Most typical with 1 inch tubes. One reason many shooters choose 30MM. tubes, they have more horizontal and vertical adjustment range.

penna shooter
11-11-2017, 05:27 AM
Cabelas Black Friday ad is up....additional $50.00 instant savings with previous rebate....$150.00 savings...Final price...$269.99
Only if I had waited a week or two....Maybe another??

Blacktail Sniper
11-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Cabelas Black Friday ad is up....additional $50.00 instant savings with previous rebate....$150.00 savings...Final price...$269.99
Only if I had waited a week or two....Maybe another??

Since it has only been a few days, take your receipt in and talk to Customer Service and see if they will refund the sale savings...might be worth a try!

Evlshnngns
11-11-2017, 01:57 PM
"Products purchased before or after a sales event are not eligible for reimbursement"......Damn.
I do like the gun though.

Ted_Feasel
11-11-2017, 02:48 PM
"Products purchased before or after a sales event are not eligible for reimbursement"......Damn.
I do like the gun though.Lol... I just ordered one:) that will bring my savage/savage based collection to 6;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jackalope
11-11-2017, 09:43 PM
I took my 12 FV 6.5 CM to the range today to sight it in...using Federal, Non Typical Whitetail 140 grain.
Bolt is hard to lift and very hard to eject.
Just tried on a few rounds.
Any Suggestions?
Thanks for your help.

RustyShackle
11-12-2017, 01:02 AM
I took my 12 FV 6.5 CM to the range today to sight it in...using Federal, Non Typical Whitetail 140 grain.
Bolt is hard to lift and very hard to eject.
Just tried on a few rounds.
Any Suggestions?
Thanks for your help.

Is the bolt getting stuck forward? With the fired round still chambered? Check primary extraction.

Clean chamber, inspect fired brass see if there is a burr in chamber.

On a side note went and finally picked up my 12FV 6.5 today. Upon inspection the bore looks fantastic! Best I’ve seen yet on a factory savage tube. Hopefully it shoots as good as things look. The crown could leave a little to be desired though, it’s pretty darn sharp but no burrs.

Slight discoloration around front of receiver, which seems to be a common and repeating theme here on the forum.

*Bonus. Metal trigger guard. I was thinking it would be plastic!

Lastly. The gun counter salesman was about as bright as tarnished silver. He blathered on abut savages for about 10 minutes trying to tell me all about them. Finally he retrieves the rifle and he went to insert the bolt and had absolutely no idea how to do it. Once I explained to him how that is done on a savage he pushed it home with the rear bolt baffle cocked to the side. I now have a small scrape on the rear tang from contact. :Cry::rant:

NicfromAlabama
11-12-2017, 01:29 AM
Is the bolt getting stuck forward? With the fired round still chambered? Check primary extraction.

Clean chamber, inspect fired brass see if there is a burr in chamber.

On a side note went and finally picked up my 12FV 6.5 today. Upon inspection the bore looks fantastic! Best I’ve seen yet on a factory savage tube. Hopefully it shoots as good as things look. The crown could leave a little to be desired though, it’s pretty darn sharp but no burrs.

Slight discoloration around front of receiver, which seems to be a common and repeating theme here on the forum.

*Bonus. Metal trigger guard. I was thinking it would be plastic!

Lastly. The gun counter salesman was about as bright as tarnished silver. He blathered on abut savages for about 10 minutes trying to tell me all about them. Finally he retrieves the rifle and he went to insert the bolt and had absolutely no idea how to do it. Once I explained to him how that is done on a savage he pushed it home with the rear bolt baffle cocked to the side. I now have a small scrape on the rear tang from contact. :Cry::rant:

I removed the barrel on my 6.5 Creedmoor today in preparation for a Shilen barrel I ordered from Northland Shooters Supply. Like yours, the barrel looked really good on the inside and I was able to look it over a little better with the barrel off. Whether true or not, I thought to myself that the barrel would have shot well, but I wanted to swap a barrel and I wanted a threaded muzzle for a suppressor.

Does your Creedmoor have the round barrel nut? Of the 3 12FVs I have bought (22-250, 6.5, .308), the Creedmoor is the only one with a round barrel nut. Maybe it is just by chance. I had a .308 on backorder and picked it up last week, and it had a notched barrel nut.

I had somewhat of a similar experience when I picked up my .308 last week. The counter guy decided to install the bolt and he really did not know what he was doing. He finally resorted to placing the muzzle on the floor while he installed the bolt. I was almost about to tell him to let me do it. He finally figured it out, but it was painful to watch. No damage was done from what I can tell. My other 2 12FVs, I installed the bolt, but this guy never gave me the chance.

Next time, I will tell them to let me do it as I want to check it over by installing the bolt.........a nice way to say it.

RustyShackle
11-12-2017, 01:35 AM
My 6.5 has the notched bbl nut. Thankfully, as I heard there were some mixed smooth nuts coming out. I also noticed the top bolt release is slightly different than my previous top bolt release models. Will have slightly less mass than the older ones. Maybe this speeds up lock time just a smidge?

NicfromAlabama
11-12-2017, 01:55 AM
Interesting about the top bolt release. I have not noticed anything different about them, but other than the 12FVs, I only have a not so old Savage 10.......and an Axis. I guess I need to compare.

It sounds like it is luck of the draw on the smooth vs notched nut. I read horror stories about removing them, and this is the first barrel nut I have removed. I bought the action vise from NSS. I installed it in my bench vise and put a pipe wrench on the barrel nut. I tried to protect the barrel nut with several wraps of electrical tape, but it did not help. I smacked the wrench twice with a short piece of 2X4 and it broke loose. The barrel nut is marred, but I didn't intend on using it anyway, and nothing else was harmed.

RustyShackle
11-12-2017, 02:32 AM
The older style tbr has more material, slightly squared below where the thumb fold is. The newer style is rounded and overall has less material. Maybe I will get some pics of each of mine. Probably easier to see than explain. Not sure what the exact correct nomenclature is either.

Jackalope
11-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Bolt is stuck all the way forward, when the shell finally ejects it leaves a rough scratch from the base of the brass to the point it starts to neck down. I have looked in the chamber but cannot see any visible burr but I'm sure there is one. brass shavings are visible on the backside of the chamber.

john_m44
11-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Bolt is stuck all the way forward, when the shell finally ejects it leaves a rough scratch from the base of the brass to the point it starts to neck down. I have looked in the chamber but cannot see any visible burr but I'm sure there is one. brass shavings are visible on the backside of the chamber.

I bought two of the 6.5 cm and my dad bought one. Of the three two of them had a burr that was making a bad scratch on the brass about 4 o'clock almost to the shoulder on the body.

Other than that, the two that I've worked up loads for shoot well.

Sterling
11-13-2017, 04:49 PM
John_M44 - Curious to hear why you personally bought two Creedmoors? Are they setup differently?

WV1951
11-13-2017, 05:45 PM

I had a burr on mine, but only in the throat area. It would leave a scratch on the neck only.

john_m44
11-13-2017, 10:43 PM
John_M44 - Curious to hear why you personally bought two Creedmoors? Are they setup differently?

For $219 after rebait, why not?

Sterling
11-14-2017, 01:53 AM
Valid. I already have the .223 and Creedmoor. Debating getting the 22-250 just because. Or another Creedmoor and sell the barrel to swap for a 6.5-284. Decisions, decisions...

russellc
11-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Wonder of wonders, my first rebate card shows sent! Second one hasnt appeared on the radar yet, it took a couple of weeks last time and I still have a few days to go.

Russellc