PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90

NicfromAlabama
10-12-2017, 08:17 PM
Quigley,

Thanks for that information. I really did not know it was that easy to order the parts or Savage would help that much. (I always expect the worst with customer service now.) I also did not know that the 26" barrel would be a lower velocity than the 24" on the Creedmoor. Good to know if I ever try a re-barrel. I actually had a chance to shoot the 12FV Creedmoor in the HS Stock yesterday, but I procrastinated and the evening caught me due to the days being shorter. Sounds like you have a pretty cool job.

Funny you mentioned the Hornady #81500 ammo being so accurate. I can believe that, because I loaded 30 rounds of ammo for my Creedmoor using the Hornady 140gr ELD Match bullets. I used Lapua brass, which may have helped, but it had the most consistent COAL of any ammo I have ever loaded to date..........darn near exact COAL for all 30 rounds. I still consider myself a novice reloader, but I was pleasantly surprised.

In addition to the PST114 H-S Precision I already have with the Creedmoor, I ended up buying a new take-off H-S Precision stock off ebay that had the bottom metal, trigger guard, one magazine and action screws with it. It is the PSV118 conventional style stock. I think I got it overall cheaper than buying a bare stock and adding parts, and no fitting should be done since it was a take-off from an existing rifle. I plan to put my 22-250 in it. I want the 22-250 to be more of a regular varmint style look.

Getting back somewhat to the point of this thread, I submitted my rebate online 10/8 and they sent me the approval email yesterday. I thought that was a fast turnaround time.

TinnCan
10-15-2017, 02:10 PM
I got tired of waiting and the 10T-SR was $100 off so I don't know if I need to cancel my backorder or just keep the 12fv too...

NicfromAlabama
10-15-2017, 03:08 PM
I got tired of waiting and the 10T-SR was $100 off so I don't know if I need to cancel my backorder or just keep the 12fv too...

The 10T-SR has some nice features......and one not so good IMO. The Accustock is probably better than the all-plastic stock of the 12 FV, although I don't own an Accustock. It comes with a scope base. The 10T-SR has a threaded muzzle which is nice if you have a suppressor. It is also supposed to have 5R rifling.

All that being said, the 10T-SR is a bottom bolt release receiver, which I don't like, and can limit doing some things like changing stocks or using aftermarket triggers. I think the 12 FV can be customized much easier because of the top bolt release design.

My statement was incorrect, see Foxx's post below. This is wrong: "I think the recoil lug on Accustock models are different and have to be modified to fit another stock or changed to a regular recoil lug........which means removing the barrel."

Personally, I would wait for the 12 FV to ship.

foxx
10-15-2017, 06:49 PM
^^^All good, but the recoil lug does not need to be replaced just because you change out stocks.

THe Accustock requires an accustock recoil lug, but the accustock lug can be used with any regular stock.

NicfromAlabama
10-15-2017, 07:22 PM
^^^All good, but the recoil lug does not need to be replaced just because you change out stocks.

THe Accustock requires an accustock recoil lug, but the accustock lug can be used with any regular stock.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

upinthehills
10-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Mine came in 3 days ago, ordered on Sept. 12. I wanted to get a chance to put some holes in a target before I said anything. Now I will say I am very, very happy. There were no finish blemishes, the muzzle showed good rifling and had no little chips or flaws and the bolt felt good while being cycled. It took some time with a toothpick and dental style pick to clean stuff out of the front scope mount hole. After that all 4 screws for the scope mount went in without any drama or need for the tap I bought for my previous FV.

The new FV is in .223, the one I bought last year is .308. I use these for target practice and I am a beginner trying to get better. The .308 was more of a step up from my .22LR than I expected, :rolleyes:. So I'm hoping the .223 will have some less drama and be easier for me to use with less heat going into the barrel and less urge to flinch.

My son and I got it to the range yesterday and put 50 rounds through it. The only disconcerting issue is that I think it took around 4 mils of windage correction to get on target. That's 40 clicks on my 12x40 SWFA. I'm not sure yet where that error is, the rail, the mounting holes or the scope ring clamps. Because of my budget I took the scope and rings off my .308 and moved them onto the .223. Both guns have EGW rails.

Once on target we moved it to 100 yards and shot some handloads. The bullets were Sierra 69 grain MatchKing HPBT with Varget powder. We each shoot 4 groups of 5 shots, the powder loads were 21, 22, 23 and 24 grains. Holy cow! Of these 8 groups, the worst came in at .70". With the .308 on a 10 shot group, we could make a big hole, but there always seemed to be 2 or 3 outliers.

Mozella
10-16-2017, 12:17 PM
Mine came in 3 days ago, ordered on Sept. 12. I wanted to get a chance to put some holes in a target before I said anything. Now I will say I am very, very happy. There were no finish blemishes, the muzzle showed good rifling and had no little chips or flaws and the bolt felt good while being cycled. It took some time with a toothpick and dental style pick to clean stuff out of the front scope mount hole. After that all 4 screws for the scope mount went in without any drama or need for the tap I bought for my previous FV.

The new FV is in .223, the one I bought last year is .308. I use these for target practice and I am a beginner trying to get better. The .308 was more of a step up from my .22LR than I expected, :rolleyes:. So I'm hoping the .223 will have some less drama and be easier for me to use with less heat going into the barrel and less urge to flinch.

My son and I got it to the range yesterday and put 50 rounds through it. The only disconcerting issue is that I think it took around 4 mils of windage correction to get on target. That's 40 clicks on my 12x40 SWFA. I'm not sure yet where that error is, the rail, the mounting holes or the scope ring clamps. Because of my budget I took the scope and rings off my .308 and moved them onto the .223. Both guns have EGW rails.

Once on target we moved it to 100 yards and shot some handloads. The bullets were Sierra 69 grain MatchKing HPBT with Varget powder. We each shoot 4 groups of 5 shots, the powder loads were 21, 22, 23 and 24 grains. Holy cow! Of these 8 groups, the worst came in at .70". With the .308 on a 10 shot group, we could make a big hole, but there always seemed to be 2 or 3 outliers.

If you like the SMK 69gr bullets, try them with IMR 8208 XBR. I found it to shoot the medium weight bullets like the 69gr SMK's better than Varget.

Connor8100
10-16-2017, 06:30 PM
What factory loads are you guys having success with in the .223 ? Mine really liked the Australian outback with the blitz king bullets. Apparently Cabelas is not carrying it anymore. Have tried several cheap brands with no good results yet. ( PPI, Armscor, American eagle, IMR ) My Cabelas doesn't seem to carry Federal Gold medal in .223. Anybody had luck with Hornady Black? Chris

celltech
10-16-2017, 06:52 PM
My 12FV .223 will shoot Defender 69g SMK reloads around .5 MOA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dz8njUZQTM3V9RxxnyNRP8kpZ6yNzoN9HQ

I get roughly the same results with 50g-60g v-max, both new Fiocchi and Freedom reloads.

quigley257
10-16-2017, 07:00 PM
What factory loads are you guys having success with in the .223 ? Mine really liked the Australian outback with the blitz king bullets. Apparently Cabelas is not carrying it anymore. Have tried several cheap brands with no good results yet. ( PPI, Armscor, American eagle, IMR ) My Cabelas doesn't seem to carry Federal Gold medal in .223. Anybody had luck with Hornady Black? Chris

There are a lot of people who are bummed that the AO ammo is no longer carried at Cabela's. I don't shoot much factory ammo, but that was one of the brands that did shoot really well in 223. I also heard of others having good luck with it in 308 and other calibers as well. Another brand that you may try that has been getting good user reviews is the Fiocchi brand 223 ammo. It is reasonably priced and also comes in 20 and 50rd packs loaded with Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets.

idunham
10-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Just got my Savage 12fv in 204 ruger. I only shot 2 rounds through it, and realized i'm having a problem with releasing the bolt. Ejection seems fine, but after I fire a round, it takes a little convincing to slide the bolt out.

I'm thinking it is just dirty, so i'm going to clean it and try again, and get it shot in.

For records, i'm shooting Hornady V-max 40Grain ammunition.

Mozella
10-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Good news. My 12FV in .309 has been shipped and is on the way to the store.

RustyShackle
10-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Holy smokes fellas, mine in 6.5CM shows shipped!

Lou Tenant
10-17-2017, 07:28 PM
I ordered my 6.5 on 9/20. Received an email yesterday saying expected shipping date is 11/ 25. Maybe it will be here by December....whenever it gets here will be fine I have one in 22-250 I enjoy playing with.

WV1951
10-17-2017, 07:29 PM
What factory loads are you guys having success with in the .223 ?

It seems like the 12FV likes the AO factory ammo. If you can come up with Black Hills re-manufactured or Black Hills Gold, ive it a try. I believe it comes in 68 and 69 grain.

Connor8100
10-17-2017, 07:44 PM
I to all who replied about my factory ammo question and congrats to everybody getting shipping notices! Having a cool spell here in the Mid Atlantic, great shooting weather. Mozella, I’m assuming your .308 has shipped. Ours still hasn’t come around ammo wise, bought some Federal Gold medal match and that helped. Need to double check the action screws and scope mounts to take those variables out of the equation. Not terrible but I think 1.25” at hundred yards can be better. The .223 is shooting about .75”. Chris

423Savage
10-17-2017, 10:23 PM
I happened in my local Cabela's tonight and asked the girl at customer service if she could check on my 12FV in 6.5. I placed my order on September 7th. My gun was shipped yesterday so I should see it very soon. BTW, can anyone give me the skinny on the rebate please?

NicfromAlabama
10-17-2017, 11:33 PM
BTW, can anyone give me the skinny on the rebate please?

Save all your paperwork when you pick up the rifle. You will receive a two-page sheet at Cabela's. The top one will be an invoice showing type rifle, payment information, your name and etc. The second one will be coupon page. They will also give you a cash register receipt, which doesn't have much on it, but it does have the date and the serial number of your rifle. I'm assuming that is important too.

The easiest way is to send it in online. I scanned all the things I mentioned above and sent it to them. (Pictures are OK too.) You also need to scan or take a picture of the Savage UPC bar code on the box. It is most likely (partially) covered by a Cabela's inventory sticker that also has a bar code on it. Some said that their rebate submittal was rejected because the Cabela's sticker was covering the Savage UPC code in their picture. I had a Cabela's inventory sticker on my box too. I was able to peel it off by heating it with a hair dryer and peeling very slowly. Pulling it off without doing that is pretty much futile.

So, in short, send in all your paperwork mentioned above and a picture of the Savage UPC code sticker from the box. I think I was approved in a couple of days after sending in mine online.......by far the easiest way to do it, but you can mail it too.

Corey Schwanz
10-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Bought one of these rifles in .308 2 years ago and still love it! Been a good shooter for me from the get go and hoping to get more accuracy out of it with a recent stock change.

DrThunder88
10-19-2017, 05:37 PM
I got my arrival notification today for my order placed 09/08/2017. Now I'm just waiting on my TC Compass!