PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90

NicfromAlabama
09-23-2017, 09:49 PM
I missed out on the sale but still plan on picking one of these up in the near future. I was debating the 6.5 creedmoor but since those all seem pretty backordered I was thinking maybe 223 since I have a suppressor for that caliber and have never used that on a bolt action rifle. This will be my first savage rifle but from everything I hear these are pretty sweet for the price. Does anyone have any input whether the 223 would make for a decent suppressor host or should I just put in for the 6.5 Creedmoor? Thanks in advance.

You might be planning to thread the barrel or swap it. But, in case you didn't know, the 12FV models do not have threaded muzzles.

Crossdawg
09-23-2017, 10:05 PM
You might be planning to thread the barrel or swap it. But, in case you didn't know, the 12FV models do not have threaded muzzles.

Yeah I realize they were not threaded and would have it threaded. A person replied earlier and said it would be better to figure which round would suit my needs better so maybe I will have to do some thinking along that route. Thank you.

Johanson
09-23-2017, 10:28 PM
I think some of us are too concerned about who gets their gun sooner than others. No one is making any money on this deal, in fact, they are losing money on it. Expecting Cabelas and Savage to manage inventory and distribution both efficiently and "fairly" (as in I was NEXT) is a bit absurd. Be glad you were able to place an order and know it will arrive in a reasonable amount of time. It does not matter if a person called and asked a customer service rep how they will be shipped (givie first, absolute priority to those who ordered first) or if a person behind the counter speculated abput ETA. Every gun ordered will be built and delivered in a reasonable fashion.

I really appreciate the price and realize nobody is making any money on this but I expect both companies to manage inventory and distribution both efficiently and fairly. If they can't do that then they will have issues in other parts of their businesses. I don't own VSTO or CAB but I'm thinking about buying them. I want them to be a well run company with the ability to deliver in all areas.

foxx
09-23-2017, 10:42 PM
^^^I can't believe I am continuing with this this, but here I go...

What diference does it make if someone gets their rifle a week before I do? They were purchased as "backordered". No one is being denied anything. Why would I, as a customer or stockholder, want the company to waste money, effort and resources to ensure every product ordered and/or sold is delivered on a first-come, first served basis? THere are so MANY OTHER ways to provide quality customer service that are actually MEANINGFUL. I would agree IF some orders were gonna be refused. Delayed is another matter altogether. We're becoming a society of demanding, snivling whiny-butts that want something for nothing and when it's finally offered for dang near nothing, we want it delivered on a silver platter and we want to be treated like we are something special, when, in fact, we are not (in this regard). Geez oh-Pete! When will the entitlement attitude end?

Put another way: Pick your battles. This hill ain't worth fighting for.

NicfromAlabama
09-23-2017, 10:53 PM
I really appreciate the price and realize nobody is making any money on this but I expect both companies to manage inventory and distribution both efficiently and fairly. If they can't do that then they will have issues in other parts of their businesses. I don't own VSTO or CAB but I'm thinking about buying them. I want them to be a well run company with the ability to deliver in all areas.

I respectfully have to disagree with statements that no one is making money on this. I don't think for one second they would be selling them at the $319.99 sale price and with the Visa offer if they were losing money. I think it would be more accurate to say, they aren't making as much money per rifle running this sale. But, I think their idea is to make up for it in volume. I think we have been used to paying higher prices for firearms for the last several years and just have a hard time believing that we can actually buy a rifle of this type at this price. To me, it somewhat shows what is costs to produce this rifle and how much profit there can be when times are good and rifles are selling normally.........not that I am against anyone making a profit, because that's what they're in the business to do. I feel like this sale is one way the businesses are dealing with lagging sales, which is good for us.

RustyShackle
09-23-2017, 11:04 PM
^^^ The stevens 200 line use to sell for about this same price IIRC. Actually from what I understand the Stevens 200 receivers where somewhat better than the 'Savage' counterpart of the operation due to polishing etc that distorted tolerances. At least I remember reading that once. Not sure if there is any truth to that and I haven't personally verified.

foxx
09-23-2017, 11:17 PM
I respectfully have to disagree with statements that no one is making money on this. I don't think for one second they would be selling them at the $319.99 sale price and with the Visa offer if they were losing money. I think it would be more accurate to say, they aren't making as much money per rifle running this sale. But, I think their idea is to make up for it in volume. I think we have been used to paying higher prices for firearms for the last several years and just have a hard time believing that we can actually buy a rifle of this type at this price. To me, it somewhat shows what is costs to produce this rifle and how much profit there can be when times are good and rifles are selling normally.........not that I am against anyone making a profit, because that's what they're in the business to do. I feel like this sale is one way the businesses are dealing with lagging sales, which is good for us.

How much profit could Cabelas possibly make on this sale? When it comes time to pick it up, pay attention to how much time and attention it requires of the employees just to perform the NICs check and complete the 4473, inspect the paperwork for completeness and accuracy, ring you up and get the gun out the door. Add to that the resources devoted to acquiring the product and distributing to the various stores and the customer service reps handling calls like these "Where is mine?" calls. No, I don't think they are making a profit on this one. If they are, it isn't much. Let's see how soon they offer such a deal as this again.

Johanson
09-23-2017, 11:19 PM
^^^I can't believe I am continuing with this this, but here I go...

What diference does it make if someone gets their rifle a week before I do? They were purchased as "backordered". No one is being denied anything. Why would I, as a customer or stockholder, want the company to waste money, effort and resources to ensure every product ordered and/or sold is delivered on a first-come, first served basis? THere are so MANY OTHER ways to provide quality customer service that are actually MEANINGFUL. I would agree IF some orders were gonna be refused. Delayed is another matter altogether. We're becoming a society of demanding, snivling whiny-butts that want something for nothing and when it's finally offered for dang near nothing, we want it delivered on a silver platter and we want to be treated like we are something special, when, in fact, we are not (in this regard). Geez oh-Pete! When will the entitlement attitude end?

Put another way: Pick your battles. This hill ain't worth fighting for.

I have no emotion tied to when I receive my rifles. I bought because it was a good deal. If I receive the last one 3 months from now, it wouldn't bother me. I've already bought 3 other firearms this year and the R700 I recently purchased has been costing me enough that I'd rather not have to glass two more rifles. My issue with the way they MAY be underperforming is delivery. As a potential owner of both company's stock, I'm looking for upside potential. This could hinder that.

foxx
09-23-2017, 11:22 PM
^^^ The stevens 200 line use to sell for about this same price IIRC. Actually from what I understand the Stevens 200 receivers where somewhat better than the 'Savage' counterpart of the operation due to polishing etc that distorted tolerances. At least I remember reading that once. Not sure if there is any truth to that and I haven't personally verified.

Stevens was a good gun and good value, for sure. But this is a better gun than the Stevens 200 was. Better stock, finish, barrel. and other costs to operate a business have gone up since then. In my opiniion, the 12fv for $419 is more comparable in price/value/cost/profit etc. AND, Savage never offered $100 rebate on the Stevens 200. Keep in mind, this is a Cabelas EXCLUSIVE. If Savage includes the 12fv in the rebate, Cabelas took a hit as well, I am sure.

foxx
09-23-2017, 11:30 PM
This doesn't mean diddly. They haven't dropped the ball in any respect, shape or form. I am a customer. A good customer. I have bought well over 100 guns from Cabelas the last few years and I am a stock holder. As such, I don't want them to spend 1 penny trying to make this deal run any smoother for anyone. Suggesting that a customer in Boise was delayed a rifle when another customer in Boston got one before him even though the Boston dude ordered his a day later is indicative of poor service, inability to deliver fairly, efficiently and effectively is absurd. A whole generation of snivling brats with no sense of whats important is taking over this country. I am saddened to see it among a community of gun enthusiasts.

Connor8100
09-24-2017, 07:22 AM
Took the .223 fv out yesterday morning, found the gun likes the Australian outback 55gr ammo pretty well. Cabelas has it for $11.99 and here in Delaware there is no sales tax so it's a good buy. Wanted to try their 69gr but they don't stock it. Not sure how to post pic of target but it shot sub moa at 100 yds. Received the scope and rings for the .308 yesterday afternoon so hopefully we can get that out this week. Chris

Negan
09-24-2017, 10:51 AM
This doesn't mean diddly. They haven't dropped the ball in any respect, shape or form. I am a customer. A good customer. I have bought well over 100 guns from Cabelas the last few years and I am a stock holder. As such, I don't want them to spend 1 penny trying to make this deal run any smoother for anyone. Suggesting that a customer in Boise was delayed a rifle when another customer in Boston got one before him even though the Boston dude ordered his a day later is indicative of poor service, inability to deliver fairly, efficiently and effectively is absurd. A whole generation of snivling brats with no sense of whats important is taking over this country. I am saddened to see it among a community of gun enthusiasts.

Well no wonder you would not mind waiting 12 months for a rifle. you have had or have access to hundreds. I also feel like you and I are living in two different realities. You are arguing for Cabela's to not work at keeping the highest level of customer satisfaction yet you are a share holder. What you described literally explains the expectations in today's marketplace, yet you say it is wrong? Again, as I said before, Cabela's has a strict policy on filling orders in the order they were placed. So, in the spirit of seeing your investment increase, I suggest you to continue to appreciate the way things used to be and accept and embrace the way things are in the present. As an aside, you can thank our last President for brining us brats out of the woodwork. And thank you, I've been called worse...

Take Care,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Deplorable
Trump 2020 and beyond!

Negan
09-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Took the .223 fv out yesterday morning, found the gun likes the Australian outback 55gr ammo pretty well. Cabelas has it for $11.99 and here in Delaware there is no sales tax so it's a good buy. Wanted to try their 69gr but they don't stock it. Not sure how to post pic of target but it shot sub moa at 100 yds. Received the scope and rings for the .308 yesterday afternoon so hopefully we can get that out this week. Chris

Sounds awesome and I can't wait to get out and give mine a try as well! As far as the pics, I think you can host it somewhere and insert with a link or you have be a savage team member. It's only 15 a year, I am thinking I will sign up in the near future

foxx
09-24-2017, 11:25 AM
Well no wonder you would not mind waiting 12 months for a rifle. you have had or have access to hundreds. I also feel like you and I are living in two different realities. You are arguing for Cabela's to not work at keeping the highest level of customer satisfaction yet you are a share holder. What you described literally explains the expectations in today's marketplace, yet you say it is wrong? Again, as I said before, Cabela's has a strict policy on filling orders in the order they were placed. So, in the spirit of seeing your investment increase, I suggest you to continue to appreciate the way things used to be and accept and embrace the way things are in the present. As an aside, you can thank our last President for brining us brats out of the woodwork. And thank you, I've been called worse...

Take Care,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Deplorable
Trump 2020 and beyond!

No one is going to have to wait 12 months for these rifles. You are making an issue out of not getting yours immediately (or ahead of someone else who ordered their's maybe a day later) when what you did was order a product under backorder terms. Customer service is important, but I believe you gotta be a reasonable customer as well. And the company should not waste resources trying to satisfy every cutomer who catches a trivial mistake. They need to pick their battles, too, or they will lose even more business. Just because they have a policy to fill orders a certain way does not mean they should brake the bank to get it done. As in all things, focus on what is meaningful.

foxx
09-24-2017, 12:21 PM
And, if you are a boss or employer or customer ( a type of boss), allow people room for less than ideal job performance when operating under unusually difficult or abnormal situations. If we, as custmers demand perfect service under all situations then we will discourage those who serve us from trying to offer special deals or create situations that make them stretch beyond their comfort zone. Encourage good effort and be patient whenever possible. Don't make it so difficult for someone or an organization to do attempt the difficult.

upinthehills
09-24-2017, 12:42 PM
I think they probably are doing a good job of following their policies. They work in the real world though and some small percentage of these rifles at any given time are being shipped between stores, they are perhaps being returned or are in line for a customer pickup who cancels their order because they already have 8-10 FV rifles. There may be confusion because of rifles being shipped between stores instead of being shipped for customer pickup at a store. Perhaps the Savage salesman to Cabelas carries a few of these in the trunk of his car and he dropped them off while they wait on a schedule for a production batch to be done. It seems though that at this point the state has settled on "backorderable" for all FV's.

The whole reason these rifles are a good deal is because being built in batches reduces the costs. So when a batch arrives the situation should turn around. It will take a somewhat variable time as stores do not get shipments every day.

chop house
09-24-2017, 09:37 PM
1. well, i couldn't tell you if cabelas is making money on the rifles or not, but if the margin is too thin, they are treating it as a loss leader. especially when it is available in a hot new cal (6.5 cm) that will require dies, components, and a high end scope (anyone putting a $49 simmons on theirs) etc etc etc. And customers may feel so good about the deal they got, they may feel 'obligated' to use cabelas to supply them, rather than price shopping the net.

2. in the savage world, i do not presume to know the production capabilies they have. but i know firearm sales have slumped (nics check numbers) and bolt guns sales have been slumping for quite a while. not sexy, nor 'demonized', nor threatened yet, etc etc. it does not make money for savage to have production sitting idle. and how many of use are NOT repeat buyers now? cut your teeth on the 12's and soon you'll be drooling over the precision rifles.... just to see what they can really do!

3. the $100 rebate card is not cash. iirc it is for merchandise. turning it into cash would mean selling at a discount, akin to the approx 15% gift cards that pop up on the auction sites. and, cabelas must have a pretty good margin, since they quiter periodically release those gift cards for sale. i dunno, can the rebate card be used at a low margin retailer, like a grocery store. the card issuer gets a percent from the retailer, so there is another revenue stream and cost mitigator.

anyway, i patiently await mine that will make number.... uhm... i ain't sayin'. like prez bush (the first one said) buy something, anything... go out and buy some gum.

foxx
09-24-2017, 10:24 PM
the card is a debit card. It can be used for gas, groceries, ammo or even hookers, if they have an app for it. :)

chop house
09-25-2017, 10:03 AM
"if they have an app for it. :)"

:o idk the going rates up north, but not entirely sure i'd be interested in one available for a hundred bones... (pun is intentional)

65Whelen
09-25-2017, 10:16 AM
I email Cabelas to get an estimate on delivery of my 6.5. Cabelas response, "The tentative arrival date for this particular item to our warehouse is 10/25/2017."