PDA

View Full Version : My theory on McMillan stocks

lrshooting
09-09-2015, 08:35 AM
I've been working on my gun, juggling between that, full time job (50-60 hours a week and we haven't even started harvest) and 17 hours of college credits. This means that something has to be sacrificed and sleep is the lucky winner. That also means that since the gun is not mandatory, I must do it last...when I'm tired. I inletted the entire thing which was easy enough.

Only problem is you get in a hurry and that means rather than taking my time to apply inletting agent of some kind, I guessed where I needed to inlet. Long story short, I got done inletting 3 weeks ago and I'm just now to the point I can start bedding tonight because I had to fix my mistakes.

So please for the love of Pete, don't rush or have somebody else do it. Will save you hours of frustration fixing things because you messed up. Actually, I suggest waiting if your going to do it and I'll post the entire build. Over 100 pictures and you'll see why most send it off to be inletted. I could have, but I simply wanted to do it myself for the satisfaction of doing it myself, but I should have inletted a block of wood first instead of butchering a 350$ A5. Would have taught me you can't rush perfection.

Not saying I won't do it again, but next time I'll have learned not to try and get it done so quickly and be on better terms with sleep!

devildogandboy
09-09-2015, 03:27 PM
this sounds interesting but i think you better have a nap first! LOL, i think we all have done something of the kind.

Bruce

clintsrv
09-09-2015, 10:00 PM
What mistakes did you make ?

How much would the A5 had cost you if MCM inlet it to your specifications?

A5 is an awesome stock. I had one on a 700 and it was fantastic. Good choice.

lrshooting
09-10-2015, 08:46 AM
What mistakes did you make ? How much would the A5 had cost you if MCM inlet it to your specifications? A5 is an awesome stock. I had one on a 700 and it was fantastic. Good choice.
What mistakes did you make ? How much would the A5 had cost you if MCM inlet it to your specifications? A5 is an awesome stock. I had one on a 700 and it was fantastic. Good choice. An extra 200 or so to have it fully inletted. I think 338 for the stock and 550 or something to have it fully inletted. I just wanted to do it myself, nothing to do with the fact I couldn't pay for it. Besides that, the time and tooling you have to intially buy is high enough anyways that you dont save much. Main things I mess up? -Inletted action area too deep (somewhat intentional for bedding purposes, but I didn't mean to do the WHOLE action that deep because I forgot to take into consideration that I needed a tang for the action to sit on during bedding. Therefore had to fix that by taping the barrel and fixing the action in such a way that I could put epoxy putty temporarily on the rear tang to hold the action up and the taping on barrel and a pin through the gas ports with a spacer between the pin and stock help the action level with the stock. Confusing probably since I dont have a picture momentarily. -Didn't take time to inlet bottom metal and trigger area correctly. I just guessed where I needed to remove material and ended up finding out I was catching somewhere completely different. Had to use bedding compound and refill some areas, partially to make it look better, but also partially to make sure I wasn't going to loose strength somehow (not really worried about that in a fiberglass stock) and more importantly, the area I took out too much is where the rear screw for the trigger gaurd went in. Only .125 inch of material was left. After I was done fixing it, close to a half inch. -Also took to much on the magazine area. I went straight through with my long straight shank carbide bit rather than stopping where the bottom metal was going to stop. THat just means bedding compound has to fill it back up again. Which it didn't since I messed up that too last night. The bedding job itself is good. But the cosmetic factor is not. Im going to have to rebed that area if I want it too look good, but its only around the magazine well and not by the pillars where a good bedding job is important. Thats the main thing I was worried about. I guess the best way to fix it is to put the bottom metal in, put bedding compound in around the right area and hopefully itll turn out alright. -Only problem with above is when you start adding material again, you really need to redo the bedding job. Epoxy likes to seep places it shouldnt be so trying to add epoxy will likely end up with me rebedding it anyways due to seepage. See how the problem only escalates as you get further? Eventually, Im gonna shoot the thing and find out the entire stock has to be redone. Bedding job removed, pillars bored out and redone...it better just shoot under a 1/4 at a 100 and Ill be happy. Hehe Love the stock tho