PDA

View Full Version : Lots of confusion on a .308 build.

Pages : 1 [2]

Kadams1563
09-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Cabelas has a 308 heavy barrel Savage on sale for $389. Just restock, optics, and go shoot. Replace barrel if you feel the need. Cant get any cheaper than that, short of a used gun find...
What model? I'm not close to a cabelas so ir would be a drive.

foxx
09-11-2015, 08:18 PM
It's a Cabelas exclusive called 12FV

It has a 26" varmint contour barrel,
Target recessed crown,
top bolt release,
slotted barrel nut,
steel trigger guard,
blind mag.
Crappy plastic stock.

oh, well, 6/7 ain't bad. $389 is sensational. When they aren't on sale, they are $419, if you can find them. ALso, you MUST go to the store for purchase, they will not ship to your FFL.

ScottReb
09-11-2015, 08:30 PM
What Foxx said...

Cabelas also has a Remington exclusive for a Remage conversion option, the 700 ADL Varmint. 308 heavy for $399

ScottReb
09-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Also our local Cabelas will help you locate one or see when/if one is arriving. You cannot pre pay for it though..

Kadams1563
09-11-2015, 08:35 PM
For the conversion you use a Remington action but put a barrel nut on if for future barrel changes? Is the Remy action better than the savage?

ScottReb
09-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Rem vs Savage is whole 'nother question. Ill leave that up to others. Mostly just different, both will do what you ask them, IMHO.

Yes you put a Remage barrel with nut on the 700 action, just like the Savage.

Kadams1563
09-11-2015, 09:45 PM
So I have been looking at the 12FV. Do you all think this is a better build rifle compared to the hog hunter? Or is hog hunter the way to go?

I can still put that rifle in a chassis and get bottom detachable mags and everything. It is the same action as the HH correct?

Also where and how much to get the barrel cut down and threaded for a muzzle break? If that's gonna cost several hundred then I believe the HH would be the way to go.

ScottReb
09-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Actions on all the Savages, except Avis, are the same. Differences in them are action length, single shot vs magazine, blind mag, detachable mag, center feed vs bottom feed(?). The FAQ has a review of how the number break it down that helps. But basically they are all very similar and you can find stocks and chassis for all of them.

Re:cutting down a barrel, if you're looking for a short barrel already threaded I think the HH will be cheaper. Figure around $100-150+ for that. Not sure how heavy the barrel is on the HH vs Varmint, so something else to consider

foxx
09-11-2015, 09:59 PM
I suppose this deal is better than Hog Hunter, even if you end up cutting the barrel down and thread it. That cost might be $35-50 if you shop around. (cutting and crowning). Threading another $50-75

If you don't want shorter barrel and threaded, definitely go 12FV

The action is identical.
The 12 fv has slotted barrel nut, which is better when you remove the barrel. Not a deal breaker by any means.
The 12 fv has steel trigger guard, about $25 value vs. the HH plastic trigger guard.

BOttom line, if you can get 12FV on sale, get it.

Otherwise, it's kind of a toss up if you want a shorter barrel that's threaded.

Kadams1563
09-11-2015, 10:12 PM
If someone can chop and thread the barrel cheaper then I will go with the 12FV. Is the barrel on the 12FV heavier then the HH? I do not have any local gunsmiths so I would have to mail it off. Having to pay $150 or $200 getting the barrel cut won't be worth it in the long run.

foxx
09-11-2015, 10:17 PM
If you have the means, tools and know-how to remove the barrel, I would suggest getting the 12fv. otherwise, just get the HH.

PM coming your way.

Kadams1563
09-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Well I have tinkered with my CZ pistols and lego built several AR'S. So I would have to look it up to see ho to remove the barrel from a bolt action as I have never owned one.

foxx
09-11-2015, 10:31 PM
Need an action wrench or barrel wrench (either one, about $50 for either) and a special nut wrench (about $30). I think they are a must-have for any savage owner b/c barrel swapping etc. is at the heart of the joy of Savage.

If you get those, they are easy to remove and swap. Without them, it's virtually impossible.

Get the tools, make the switch. Otherwise, go with the HH and don't worry about it. The two guns are essentially the same.

Another consideration, if you are certain you will not want to play around with more Savage and barrel swapping, it's not worth the extra cost for the tools.

Kadams1563
09-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Well cabelas is out of stock on the 12FV and local gun shop wants $519 for the hog hunter.

foxx
09-12-2015, 01:01 PM
For the sake of price comparison, the best price for Hog Hunters is always Budsgunshop.com. About $475 shipped. Add $25 FFL x-fer charges and you're right about there with your LGS.

Get there's and run with it. :)