PDA

View Full Version : boyds just confused me completely!

SThomas3791
09-08-2015, 11:28 AM
i just got off the phone with a boyds sales rep. he asked what make/model stock im looking to get and i told him a savage axis ii. he then told me we dont make stocks for the axis ii only the axis? i told him arent they the same stock and he said i need to contact savage? is this just someone who has no idea what they are talking about or can i not get a boyds stock for my axis ii? i felt very frustrated by the time i got off the phone with this rep.

SThomas3791
09-08-2015, 11:38 AM
just called savage. they told me the same exact stock for both the axis and axis ii and that they are very familiar with boyds. its not like im the first person to ever buy a stock for an axis in the world. why would boyds just give me a run around? must have been someones first day! ugh!!!!

DrThunder88
09-09-2015, 12:14 PM
There may be some differences needed in the inletting for an Axis II that the injection molded stock takes into account but Boyds CNC program does not. For example, it is easy to install a Timney trigger in an Axis with the factory stock, but inletting needs to be done on a Boyds to make it fit.

BlueDog
09-09-2015, 12:39 PM
I think most customer support people read off a script, or if it's not clearly listed on their computer verbatim they default to "different model" as to be safe. (Lawsuits abound!) My dear old man (the cantankerous old poop) is a mechanic and DESPISES the whole kid reading from a computer gig. I've seen him bring in alternators and tell them it's a distributor for a Ford Diesel pickup, just to see if they are in their toes. (They get a good earful when they fall for it). I've even seen him bypass the counter and pull the parts of the shelf as the computer system was down and wouldn't work and they were pretty much helpless. When asked about the right part number he references "my computer says it's the right number, and to think it's a 1943 model." as he points to his head.

The old days of knowledgeable customer service people is gone. Sad but true. I blame technology.

AROKHUNTER
09-10-2015, 11:36 PM
I actually called Boyds Stocks about 4 years ago and talked to a YOUNG guy. He knew absolutely nothing more than I did. What he knew was the exact same thing that I was reading on their website. I asked a few more questions, and he basically ended up telling me that he did not know what to tell me and that there wasn't anyone else available to help. I was very disappointed, to say the least, but I took a chance with one of their stocks anyways. And 4 years later, I have 3 more of their stocks.

Russ77
09-11-2015, 10:32 PM
I'm wondering if the heavy barrel model is different from the normal stock

foxx
09-11-2015, 10:45 PM
^^^ The only diference between heavy barrel model and the regular model is the barrel.

Well, the factory stock is built a little different in the barrel channel area b/c the channel is wider and needs diferent reinforcement inside the stock's barrel channel. Other than that, they are identical.

Don't worry about it. Get the Boyds stock you want for the Axis.

mcnamara0851
09-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Boyds lost my business last week due to the kid answering the phones being clueless. Not trying to be rude, but I see it more everyday and it drives me nuts. Called CDI and they had an answer for every question I had and they both went out of their way to help me out. That's a surefire way to pick up customers and keep them around.

Russ77
09-12-2015, 01:27 AM
^^^
I had that experience when I called savage asking questions about different models of rifles. The girl who I spoke to had no idea about the different models.

foxx
09-12-2015, 08:39 AM
I understand the sentiment here, but consider this... look at how many design varieties of stocks Boyds offers and the number of gun manufacturer and models they build for. Is 1,000 a fair estimate? Other companies build a few varieties of stocks and are therefore x able to be much more knowledgeable about them. Its a different market, different approach to filling a need. Boyds frustrates me, too. But i could not do any better if i tried.

Metz_K
10-04-2015, 08:47 PM
I have never called Boyds, but ordered a Pro varmit online for an Axis II. Ordered the SA for the heavy barrel version as I was doing a barrel change also and it fit perfectly.