PDA

View Full Version : Barrel replacement fun.

Matno
09-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Seems like the reports of removing smooth barrel nuts aren't exaggerated.

Started with the Wheeler barrel nut wrench. That thing is poorly designed, as it bends the screw when it tightens. Took some others' advice and went straight to grade 8 screws. Broke 2 of them so far.

Used a barrel vise but didn't want to mar the barrel, so wrapped it in a rubber inner tube. Couldn't get it tight enough to keep it from twisting. Cranked it down tighter and the vise body snapped in half! Doh!

Looks like I'll be heading back to the store for
A blue wrench (propane torch)
A pipe wrench if the propane doesn't work (I have a spare slotted nut anyway)
A new vise (NOT from harbor freight this time!)
Nothing like an excuse to buy more tools!

:(

olddav
09-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Add a Dremel and cut off wheel to your shopping list?

clintsrv
09-07-2015, 05:21 PM
I've used a Dremel tool once or twice.

Also an action wrench with a pipe wrench works excellent on the smooth nuts.

wbm
09-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Dremel tool. Odds are if you get the barrel removed the barrel nut will be frozen. Been there more than once.

Robinhood
09-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Be careful to not turn the recoil lug. It gets fugly fast.

devildogandboy
09-07-2015, 09:17 PM
I've used a Dremel tool once or twice.

Also an action wrench with a pipe wrench works excellent on the smooth nuts.

action wrench and pipe wrench worked for me 2x!

Bruce

lrshooting
09-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Geez. Get a couple blocks if hard wood, drill a hole the same size exactly or a couple thoudandths under between the blocks, inlet a place for the recoil lug to fit in completely and snug. Clamp blocks in a vice, and then take a pipe wrench to the nut. Easy as cake for me to do it.

I didn't even drill a hole, I just used a table saw at 45° and cut a "V" groove. That did it for me. My blocks were made of native oak that was 2 inches thick. Make them as big as you can from the barrel to the edge of the block so it doesn't crack or bend. I don't have a huge vice, but it works.

Also, if it's really hard, get a big hammer and wack that pipe wrench good and hard. It's amazing what you can break loose with a good jarring

D.ID
09-07-2015, 10:33 PM
+1 for Pipe wrench. I planned on scrapping after pipe wrench removal but.......with the proper application of high explos......a hum .....a shop rag: it did not even mar them up. We reused all but the first.

GaCop
09-08-2015, 06:29 AM
Add a Dremel and cut off wheel to your shopping list? =1!

Lnmi
09-08-2015, 06:48 PM
So when you guys cut the nut off with a dremel, do you end up cutting into the threads of the barrel? And can you cut the other end open without cutting into the recoil lug?

sc1911cwp
09-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a better barrel nut.

olddav
09-08-2015, 07:43 PM
No, do to cut the threads. Cut at an angle and that will get you close as possible to the recoil lug. Once you have cut as mush as possible use a chisel and hammer to to break the nut the rest of the way, (near the recoil lug). It should snap open with out damaging the threads.

Twinsen
09-08-2015, 08:01 PM
I'm planning to try the Wheeler smooth wrench and having it fail. Then after, filing a couple opposing flats on the nut and having at those with a pipe wrench.

foxx
09-09-2015, 12:04 AM
FOrget That wrench. I will send you one for free if you pay the shipping. It wont work. Just go to harbor freight and get a cheap but large pipe wrench and a 4 pound hammer. Those, with an action wrench or barrel vice will remove it quite easily.

daniel87
09-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Big pipe wrench with a cheater bar and a big vice with wood blocks

D.ID
09-10-2015, 08:24 PM
I used a sharpshooter supply smooth wrench to perfect effect............once I finally got one.

Matno
09-11-2015, 01:51 AM
Got it off. Propane didn't do it. Tried the Dremel, but I chickened out. Finally got it with a 24" pipe wrench. So much debris in those threads! Even with the barrel removed I still had to work the nut back and forth multiple times to get it off. Once cleaned and lightly lubed, the new nut works great.
Question: how are you supposed to align the recoil lug? I've got an Accustock, and the recoil lug surface is just flat, nothing to fit into the groove of the action. It looks straight, but I really have no idea if it's perfect, or even if it really matters (I assume it does).

Matno
10-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Okay, got to shoot the new barrel finally, and HOT DANG! I've never considered myself much of a benchrest shooter, but now I'm wondering if I just never had the right gun! Shot two boxes of factory 140gr A-max, and the groups got tighter and tighter. By the end, groups were getting smaller and smaller, ending with multiple sub MOA 5 shot groups (last couple half MOA). Huge shout out to Dustin Berg at X-Caliber for a fantastic barrel and brake!