PDA

View Full Version : What kind of accuracy should you expect in a Model 14 Classic?

uncle-buck
09-07-2015, 11:11 AM
I purchased a Model 14 Classic in .308 Win. in 2006 and have not been able to get it to shoot better than 1.5 MOA consistently - even after having the action glass bedded and using hand loaded ammo. Has anyone had better success with theirs?

Robinhood
09-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Is the barrel cleaned and copper free? What scope are you using? Mounts?

uncle-buck
09-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Yes, the barrel is clean and copper free. I usually shoot a couple of fouling shots, let the barrel cool, and shoot 3-shot groups with two to three minutes between shots. The scope is a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X50mm with a DNZ one-piece Game Reaper mount.

Lincoln4
09-07-2015, 02:12 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/twlongtine/Firearms/IMG_0662.jpg (http://s120.photobucket.com/user/twlongtine/media/Firearms/IMG_0662.jpg.html)

That's what I get with mine. Four rounds.

uncle-buck
09-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Very impressive. Even though that's probably the best 4 round group you shot that day, I'd be interested in learning more about your setup. What type of cases, scope, and mount are you using? How far off the lands are you seating the bullets?

Lincoln4
09-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Very impressive. Even though that's probably the best 4 round group you shot that day, I'd be interested in learning more about your setup. What type of cases, scope, and mount are you using? How far off the lands are you seating the bullets?

Of course that's the best group I had that day! (LOL!) But that's what it was capable of. I was using "cheap" Remington brass. Scope was a 3X9 Leupold, and I can't recall off-hand which brand rings. I had only recently started reloading, and "how far off the lands" wasn't something I was dealing with. My wife put dibs on this rifle, and she likes to shoot a lot. So, I started loading less expensive bullets, don't use this load anymore. I'd take it back, but I like having a great relationship with her!

I'll add that this group was shot while working up the load. While it was a great group, the rifle was consistently under 1" with it when I didn't send a flyer...