PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark II BTVSS stock to barrel fit question

Savage Buckeye
09-06-2015, 11:00 PM
Hello...just joined the forum and just (today) bought my first Savage. It's a used (but like new) Mark II BTVSS. I am taking it to the range tomorrow to shoot it for the fist time, but I did want to seek some information/advise concerning the
stock to barrel fit. There is just a very slight amount of play between the muzzle end of the forend and and the barrel.

When I put my hand under the forend and my thumb on top of the barrel I can push down with my thumb and it moves down into the stock just enough to notice. When I remove my thumb is returns back up. This "play" in the stock is only noticeable down near the muzzle end. There is absolutely no movement when I move 4" or so down the barrel closer to the action.

Is this "play" normal on the muzzle end or shot it be totally tight?

J.Baker
09-07-2015, 05:06 AM
Have you checked that the action screws are both tight? They don't need to be super tight, just good and snug.

You will always be able to get a little movement at this location on a properly free-floated barrel, even with a heavy barrel. Think back to your physics lessons and the use of a lever with a hinge or fulcrum point. Basically the front action screw is acting like your hinge point and the barrel is your lever. The distance between is amplifying the force being applied.

justinp61
09-07-2015, 08:59 AM
It's normal, I'd say most of it is stock flex.

Fotheringill
09-10-2015, 02:12 PM
I would seriously check the torque on the action screws. Use manufacturer's specs for torque, or someone here can post the specs. Don't over tighten. If you do, you will mess up the stock.

Savage Buckeye
09-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Problem solved...I did have one of the action screws just a little loose. I tightened it down and there is no longer ANY play in the barrel and stock.