PDA

View Full Version : savage 30-06 scope

boosted18
09-06-2015, 06:41 AM
Hello and I have a question but more of a little issue. My scoops keeps moving when I go to the range. I've torqued the rails down really tight and it still moves. Every time I go to the range I have to keep re scoping in my rifle and its annoying cause its like a loosing battle that I have yo keep doing instead of really enjoying my rifle. How can I stop the scope from moving??

Robinhood
09-06-2015, 09:31 AM
If this is a package scope/ring setup you got duped. If the scope is sliding in the rings, buy some better rings or sand some off the split line of the rings and reassemble. Don't over tighten the screws.

DrThunder88
09-06-2015, 10:20 AM
A few questions may help diagnose the trouble:
1. What kind of scope, mounts, and rings are you using?
2. Can you see or hear the scope, mounts, or rings moving if you try pushing or pulling them?
3. What size 5+ shot groups are you shooting, at what distance, and with what ammo?

big honkin jeep
09-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Scope base screw may be bottoming out against the barrel in the front hole. if there are different length screws the short one goes in the front hole. Install just the bases and see if they still wiggle slightly when the screws are tight.

boosted18
09-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Its the factory Bushnell scope and mounts. What mounts could I get to help tho out

DrThunder88
09-07-2015, 12:57 AM
Here's the reason I asked the three questions. As Robinhood pointed out, the factory hardware on the XP rifles is chintzy. The mounts and rings would be the usual suspects for me too. That said, I would expect that there would be more obvious signs of looseness (being able to shift the scope in its rings, the rings on the mounts, or the mounts on the rifle just with hand pressure). The scope included is typically of lowest quality for the manufacturer, so it's not impossible that there is a problem with the optic itself.

However, a sights problem also seems like it should manifest itself in groupings. If the rifle is shooting tight groups with one POI on Monday and similarly sized groups at another POI Tuesday, that doesn't strike me as a problem with the optics system. A loose or broken scope would probably have large, unpredictable groups every day. Perhaps someone else who knows can say for sure, but shot-to-shot recoil seems more likely to move a problem link in the optics chain as much if not more than transport to and from the range.

It's not a bad idea to replace the factory mounts though. My preference is for EGW Picatinny rails, but I've used a Weaver one-piece rail as well. I'd also recommend upgrading your rings as well. DNZ makes a solid mount that doesn't require separate rings. I have no firsthand experience with them, but others seem to like them.

boosted18
09-07-2015, 01:46 AM
It doesn't move at all by hand or actually move my me physically doing it. But when I do shoot it will move each time 1/10 a cm and it will start to make my groups like 4in apart n start moving more so it sucks cause I have to keep re sighting it in.