PDA

View Full Version : Couple of noob questions - m111 TH XP

Daver
09-06-2015, 12:45 AM
New rifle...noob questions

1. Is it possible to convert the magazine to a drop out vs. the one it comes with?
2. What are the most common adjustable stock manufacturers? Seems that the 30-06 version I have has limited options for some reason
3. What is best barrel profile for long range non-competition shooting?

i am sure I will have more questions soon

thanks!

pepper savage 111
09-06-2015, 12:32 PM
1- yes, you can convert to a detachable magazine setup for your 30-06. Provided you get a bottom metal and a stock that is inletted to accept it. (Choate, Boyds, Manners, any chassis system)

2- any adjustable stock to fit a savage "long" action will work as all savage long actions have the same screw spacing. Your rifle is a center feed but, if you're handy, you can make a staggerfeed stock work. (Modifications won't be necessary in your case if you purchase a stock that is set up for a detachable magazine)

3- barrel profile is more preference than anything. You can make any contour perform to your liking but there are characteristics to consider for each.
-Sporter contour barrels are the lightest weight but will heat up the fastest. Which also means they'll cool down the fastest.
-Varmint contour barrels weigh considerably more than a sporter barrel of the same length. However they are more rigid, and so, slightly more forgiving with accuracy nodes.
-Bull contour barrels are the heaviest you can get. Even more forgiving than varmint contour and leagues beyond sporter contour. They do take considerably longer to heat up but seem to take forever to cool back down.

I own rifles with all 3 contours and they all serve their intended purposes. If you'll be mostly target shooting, I'd suggest a varmint contour at a minimum and a bull contour if you're not going to be slinging this rifle on hunts.

foxx
09-06-2015, 12:59 PM
All of the above... and, to stress that if you are limited to 1 or 2 shots as in most typical deer hunting situations, i think light sporter barrels tend to be just as accurate as heavy barrels.

jpdown
09-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Boyd's gunstocks offers a good selection of walnut and laminated wood stock styles and upgrade options for the Savage 111 LA, CF with DBM inletting. They now offer an adjustable cheek rest option on the ProVarmint style stock.

For the parts you need, go to Savage Arms online Store, then Partfinders tab. Use SN G901339. Order LA bottom parts (BBR trigger guard - #19A, frame assembly - #13 and mag bottom cap - #8) to covert the plastic Savage 111 TH bottom parts to the correct metal Savage LA, CF DBM parts.

A 26" light varmint or varmint contour barrel would be my choice to get the most out of the 30-06 cartridge for long range shooting. Not so much if you also plan to pack it around as a hunting rifle. Contact Jim at Northland Shooter Supply. He usually has match grade Savage Pre-Fit CBI or Shilen barrels in 26" varmint profile in stock for quick shipment. Also check McGowen Outlet and GunShack for Savage Pre-fit barrel options.

Daver
09-08-2015, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the very articulate and detailed responses. Gave me a bunch of information to read a through and learn about.

So, couple of immediate follow up questions for everyone.

1. I want to convert the magazine to allow for more stock options. I also would like to find higher capacity mags. Do they exist? Where and who sells detachable mags for this platform? I have read about one manufacturer that has a stock and proprietary detachable magazines but if there is something or someone like a "magpul" or such that will work, I would like some direction to the technology so I can read some more.
2. With respect to the barrel, I have read a lot about the "MP or standard Palma profile". It seems to fill the sweet spot for long range and toting to hunt. Any thoughts?
3. Muzzle brake.... Thoughts on type, style or effectiveness? I know on AK and AR platforms of various caliber and gauge, the better designs are a great help to reduce recoil, muzzle rise and flash signature. I have read that a compensating brake is the way to go, IF someone wants to use one. I will most likely get the barrel threaded with indexing nut.

last question, if we are buying aftermarket stocks and barrels, is it still a savage rifle?