PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some input on stock selection

blink
09-05-2015, 10:37 PM
I was at a local outfitter today and we started to talk about the great accuracy of the axis rifle and he said put a boyds on it and it will really make a big difference in recoil and make it a sub moa shooter.
So that got me thinking of replacing my stock again.lol
I have been trying to make a decision on what model to get,i thought i had it chosen with the pro varmint but after much research i see they have a few issues so i started looking at the classic and prairie hunter but being a left hand shooter with a right handed action i would want to remove the cheek riser on the other side and wonder if that's a big job?
I have modified my plastic stock with rails in the forstock and free floated the barrel and also wonder how difficult bedding actually is?

foxx
09-06-2015, 12:11 AM
I am also a left handed shooter that likes right handed actions.

Boyds used to make left handed stocks for right handed actions. If I were you, I'd call and ask about that.

However, the right handed classic and the platinum are not bad for shooting left handed. The cheek rise is very subtle and does not hinder a left handed shooter at all, in my opinion.

blink
09-06-2015, 12:47 AM
Thanks foxx.i did call boyds and they no longer offer a left handed model in right hand action.
What exactly is the platinum model?no pic is shown.?
As i said before,i do like the pro varmint model,had it all picked out with adjustable comb in coyote laminate,just worried about any return issues due to cracking or splitting,not in the U.S. and i know of nobody locally that has one to look at and the pictures on the web are not that good.lol

foxx
09-06-2015, 12:54 AM
Platinum is essentially the classic but a more rounded bottom to the forearm so as to allow for wrap around checkering.

If you do get checkering, don't bother with the classic, the checkering is very narrow along the forearm and does not wrap around the underside. Kind of a waste, I think. Platinum, on the other hand, is really nice with checkering. Other than that, there's not much difference.

DrThunder88
09-07-2015, 02:04 AM
The Platinum's oval forearm is also wide enough for a heavy barrel without sanding the sides wafer thin.

Replacing the stock is not a panacea for accuracy. It won't, for example, turn a 2 MOA gun into a 1/2 MOA gun, but it does help both mechanically and ergonomically.

Bedding is not too difficult, and putting pillars into a Boyds stock solves one of the major problems with them: cracking around the front action screw. Preparation is key when working with epoxy, but it's not so unforgiving that small oversights will doom the gun or the stock. Taking extra time to do it right will help make the best finished product though. I typically don't bed the whole receiver on an Axis. After putting in front and rear pillars, I'll bed from the back of the recoil lug to the magazine well and the area around the trigger bracket where the action screw passes through.