PDA

View Full Version : Axis I I just for range n target practice

M4eagle
09-05-2015, 08:01 PM
I want to get my first Savage Axis n I wonder if it will be accurate on range shooting 50-100 rounds a session as opposed to using it for hunting - where barrel doesn't heat up after one or two shots. I already have the rifles that are legal for deer in Ohio... But I just want to try the Savage at the range...

Russ77
09-06-2015, 01:04 AM
Look into the heavy barrel. Mine stays pretty cool

upSLIDEdown
09-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Depends on how fast you're shooting those 50-100 rds... lol

Remember, the thin barrel heats up faster, but that also means it will cool faster as well. That said, the heavy barrel would probably be a better choice for target/range work.

DrThunder88
09-06-2015, 03:48 AM
In terms of out-of-the-box target rifles, there may be better choices out there. Even at the Axis II's price point, I think I'd just go with a rimfire for target practice. As centerfires go, sure, it's the best deal out there, and it will shoot well enough to impress onlookers when you tell them how much it cost. As upSLIDEdown says, your rate of fire will dictate barrel heating and cooling. Even a heavy barrel will get hot after a few rapid fire strings.

Still, if I had a hunting rifle set up in a way that I really liked but for whatever reason practicing with it was less feasible than getting a second rifle, I think I'd want to make my practice rig as similar to my primary rig as possible. That's not saying bolt guns aren't similar across different platforms, but Axises have some foibles of their own (as do all rifles, really).

Russ77
09-06-2015, 06:18 AM
I went to the range last week and went through 100 rounds in about two hours. I was very worried about heating up the barrel as I shot. The biggest thing that helped me was taking my time between shots. There were quite a few times I grabbed the barrel and it felt very hot to the touch so I would take a break and let it cool of for a while. I looked into all kinds of stuff from wet towels to using an air pump to push cool air down the barrel and even running water down the barrel. In the end just taking time between shots and giving it a few breaks from firing worked pretty good. My final cure for the over heating barrel is going to be buying a second rifle to shoot while the other is cooling

M4eagle
09-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Thanks ... The Advice is much appreciated n helpful

MrO17
09-10-2015, 06:07 PM
or just shoot with a friend and take turns

tufrthnails
09-10-2015, 06:24 PM
My final cure for the over heating barrel is going to be buying a second rifle to shoot while the other is cooling

X2 I usually have three different rifles I am shooting. this does a few things that help me. #1 I don't get the anticipation flinch. especially helpful when shooting the 7mm RUM. #2 different triggers keep me on my game and focused on clean manipulation of the trigger. #3 I can get a whole lot more rounds down range in a shorter overall time.

nevernoluck2
09-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Multiples guns or don't get in a hurry, stay in the shade. What caliber are you planning in getting as that plays a huge role in barrel heat per round?

ruger1945
10-02-2015, 07:09 PM
I suspect barrel heat could be an issue. I shoot my axis I just about every day at a 300 meter range as I am retired. The load I shoot is very mild and while the barrel gets warm I do not wait between shots. My load is with 150 cast with homemade alum GC, lee liquid lube, 410 powder (haven't had 2400 in our area for two years) with a vel of 1600 fps. obviously has lot drop but on a good day I can shoot 4 to 5 inch group at 300m. Prob as good as I can do with tri-focals and 70 year old eyes. I'm sure barrel heat would be diff story with full power jkt loads.