PDA

View Full Version : Please help with aftermarket stock problems!!!

fastgixxerlv
06-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Hey everyone. I bought a Choate tactical stocks for $455 and had to send it back already. Now it still does not fit right on my 10fcp-k. I told them the barrel lugs are diffrent from the older ones but the problem was not fixed. The inlet where the barrel lug sits is too low so the barreled action seesaws. Also it messing with my trigger. Sometimes the trigger is completely stuck and won't fire and sometimes it fires but the firing pin doesn't strike hard enough. I can either fix this stock or use my old ugly accustock. What should I do? What would cause my trigger to bind like that? Do I need to relieve the trigger area?

rjtfroggy
06-05-2010, 07:02 AM
At $455 you need to send it back for corrections. If you decide to fix it yourself I would start by relieving the trigger opening, then make sure the tang floats a little and probably bed the recoil lug so it sits flat to start.

pdog06
06-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Yep, you'd need to relieve where the trigger and lug are hitting. Wont take long with a Dremel, but you'd be best to bed the lug after doing so.

jdg
06-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Thats a hard pill to swallow! $455 for a Choate? Is it build in the Accustock fashion, with the wedge? Anyways, good luck with your issue :)

fastgixxerlv
06-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the input! I've already sent it back and they put longer alluminum pillars but did address the depth where the barrel lug is inletted. It took no time with the dremel on the trigger area and now it's super smooth. I filled the area where it was inletted too deep for the barrel lug with defcon and now it's a perfect fit, and the bedding acts like a wedge on the lug. I'm taking it to the range this afternoon to see how it shoots. It better shoot as good or better than the accustock!

fastgixxerlv
06-06-2010, 11:25 PM
HELL YA!!! I little fiddling with the trigger at the range and now she's back to one of my favorites to shoot! And it looks sweet too! I really didn't see any difference with accuracy between this and the accustock. Same exact grouping with the same ammo. I'm very happy! Now I need to learn to reload. What are good reference manuals out there to compare to? Newest if possible? Thanks!

rjtfroggy
06-07-2010, 06:44 AM
All of the major reloading manuals start with the basics of "How to reload". I know the Speer manual does and RCBS has a very good DVD showing you how to do it.

fastgixxerlv
06-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks! I've reloaded shotgun shells, but I'd like to start from the bottom for rifle and handguns. I'll ask questions on the proper section.

bodywerks
06-08-2010, 07:14 AM
**** YA!!! I little fiddling with the trigger at the range and now she's back to one of my favorites to shoot! And it looks sweet too! I really didn't see any difference with accuracy between this and the accustock. Same exact grouping with the same ammo. I'm very happy! Now I need to learn to reload. What are good reference manuals out there to compare to? Newest if possible? Thanks!

If it is the .308, I can say from personal experience that 175smk's over 43.9g of varget, and 2.815COALis an awsome load in my fcp-k. It is an 'above book max' load, but I see no pressure signs whatsoever. Gotta use good brass - I like lapua. Hornady has worked fine, but its only good for 2-3 reloads .
Launches @ 2745 and stays supersonic to about 1200-1300 yards...

bodywerks
06-08-2010, 08:12 AM
I've also had problems with the trigger just like you say, but even in the standard accustock. Seems that if you have any side/side pressure on the trigger while sliding the bolt it will not cock properly...however, I have never personally had this happen to me - but two other people have shot my gun and it did it to them. Weird...

fastgixxerlv
06-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the handload info! I just put in an order for loading press kit. I know I can get the Lee breech lock kit for cheaper at other places but they do not have enough description for me to figure out all I need. Lol! It all totaled just a little over $300 and I think I got everything I could need for a while. My biggest problem is going to be figuring out the different powders. I have no clue what anything means. I ended up releaving the where those springs are.

bodywerks
06-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I mounted mine yersterday to my FCP-k. It would have fit 100% without any modification, but I made use of the 3D bedding system incorporated into the Accustock, which required drilling a 3/16 hole 1.133" forward of the front action hole, measured center-to-center. I then recessed the hole from the bottom with a forsener bit about 5/16-3/8" deep, just to the aluminum. I then sprayed the threaded wedge nut with release agent and temporarily installed it in place, with spacers underneath to keep it about 3/32" above the bedding floor. Once I verified that the wedge was properly fitted against the recoil lug, I simply removed the action and filled the forward cavity with structural epoxy, all the way up to the top of the wedge, and half-way around it. Once cured, I loosened the wedging screw and popped the wedge nut out of it's 'mold'. I now had the wedging ramp needed to 'wedge' the recoil lug in place.
Gonna go shoot it this weekend to see how it does.
I also put setscrews in the sling carrier to keep it tight in the rail. The last one I had would shift sometimes with recoil.
If I ever have the action off again I'll post pics...

MrMajestic
02-09-2013, 11:30 PM
If it is the .308, I can say from personal experience that 175smk's....
Launches @ 2745 and stays supersonic to about 1200-1300 yards...

Yes but what matters is transonic which puts you with potential stability concerns at about 800 yards. To get the .308 to 1K accurately
you need a long barrel(30"is a good start!), a long throat to increase powder capacity with the long high BC bullets and really stand on them which requires a strong case(Lapua Palma's are pretty tough).