PDA

View Full Version : Fixed front barrel sight

Appleseed
06-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Do I have this straight...if I have a fixed front sight on a barrel, and change the barrel...does it indicate back to it's former alignment? What about using the same go/no-go gauges each time it's put back on to try and get head space the same? I noticed the last time I put back on a factory barrel, it was tight and the engraving was rotated a bit.

Blue Avenger
06-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Do I have this straight...if I have a fixed front sight on a barrel, and change the barrel...does it indicate back to it's former alignment?
not very often when a different receiver is used

Appleseed
06-04-2010, 09:14 PM
What about the same action and the same barrel, same gauges, same recoil lug?

Blue Avenger
06-04-2010, 09:45 PM
should be ok. recoil lug makes no difference. No way you have the same gauge that was used at the factory

Appleseed
06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
The barrel is an after market from Devin. If it gets good results, probably never take it off anyway, but trying to figure it out. So if I always screw back on the same barrel to the same action with the same head-space gauges, it will be close enough for govmt' work?

Looking forward to shooting some of the heavier stuff in the 8 twist .223.

Gonna go with the Williams sight on the rear.

Thanks.

Appleseed
06-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Has anyone tapered the id of a barrel band? One like the Champion's Choice http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=1295
the barrel is lightly tapered from .750. Would this be the way to level the dovetail base instead of turning the barrel?