PDA

View Full Version : boyds recoil pads

SThomas3791
09-02-2015, 09:11 PM
anyone know how the "standard" boyds 1/2" recoil pads are compared to the limbsaver pads they offer as an upgrade? have a couple new 30-06's and im looking to not blow my shoulder out with a subpar "standard" recoil pad. thanks for any info.

missed
09-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Night and day difference. I think the standard pad is fine for a 22 or 22-250.... The limb savers is awesome and worth the money.

BlueDog
09-02-2015, 10:13 PM
SThomas, I can't comment on the standard pad nor the limbsaver, but I do have four Pachmayer Decelerator pads. One is 20+ years old and lives on my old Browning shotgun and still is soft as new. In fact, based solely on its performance did I upgrade to Decelerator on my Boyd's stocks. I'm not saying they're the best choice, but I have had good luck with them.

Kaldor
09-03-2015, 01:18 PM
I have the 1" Limbsaver on my Boyds stock for my 308. Have not shot it yet as I am still working on getting everything together, but if it functions as good as the slip on my use on my 30-30, it should be good to go.

Londerko
09-06-2015, 01:42 AM
I have a savage 110 300 win mag that I put in a tacticiool (pro varmiter) I had the 1" limbsaver put on and it made a huge difference. It's cheap, plus they install it right, they actually cut the stock shorter so not to change the length off pull. Instead of just screwing a longer butt pad on and calling it good.
I would do it definitely do it for the trusty old 06

DrThunder88
09-06-2015, 05:29 AM
Back when my 300 Win Mag Axis still had a sporter barrel, the 1" Limbsaver did a good job soaking up the recoil until the varmint barrel and muzzle brake arrived. It still does and the gun is a pushover in the recoil department. Maybe not a pushover but very tame.

jpdown
09-06-2015, 12:16 PM
The Boyds 1/2" rubber recoil pad might as well be a steel butt plate it is so hard. Let them install the 1" Limbsaver or Pachmyr decelerator. As mentioned above, they will cut the stock to length of pull and grind the recoil pad to fit for a lot less than the time and cost of DIY.

sixonetonoffun
09-06-2015, 11:32 PM
Did 2 Pachmayr® and 2 KICK-EEZ no hassle. No complaints.

ewwestsr
09-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Back when my 300 Win Mag Axis still had a sporter barrel, the 1" Limbsaver did a good job soaking up the recoil until the varmint barrel and muzzle brake arrived. It still does and the gun is a pushover in the recoil department. Maybe not a pushover but very tame.

What kind of muzzle brake did you use for the 300 win mag? Brand etc...

D.ID
09-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Lots of good recoil pads...............but the limbsaver is king and worth the $17 for any caliber, every time............big fan!

DrThunder88
09-08-2015, 02:56 AM
What kind of muzzle brake did you use for the 300 win mag? Brand etc...
Sent you a PM

The Boyds 1/2" rubber recoil pad might as well be a steel butt plate it is so hard. Let them install the 1" Limbsaver or Pachmyr decelerator. As mentioned above, they will cut the stock to length of pull and grind the recoil pad to fit for a lot less than the time and cost of DIY.

The labor involved is probably the best part of the price. I've fit a few buttpads, and while it wasn't hard to do, it is a bit of a mess.