PDA

View Full Version : Vortex scope mounts

rsnk61
08-31-2015, 11:39 PM
I just purchased a vortex diamondback hp 3-12X42 scope. I have a 110 in 7mm pre 2003. It came with a bushnell scope and the mounts don't work. So I am asking what mounts do I need? I am using the 1in savage rings that came with it.

lrshooting
09-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Any 1 inch ring will "work" with your scope that has a weaver or picatinny style mount. Or at least I assume you dont have a dovetail mount on a 7mm...

You could get a cheapo set but I dont think you can go wrong with burris signature zees or burris xtr. They are reasonably priced, and you can be sure you wont have your 400$ scope falling off.

pegwedge
09-01-2015, 03:19 AM
I actually just picked up the same scope for my same era .270. I also picked up a DNZ Game Reaper one piece for mine. I haven't had a chance to mount it yet, but it doesn't look like it's going to offer much choice in eye relief as the rings are spaced quite a bit a part. I'm going to give it a shot though as soon as I can get a day off work.

rsnk61
09-01-2015, 04:42 PM
I have the original savage 1 in rings which fit it fine. I just trying to find out what mounts to get. I am looking at either getting the weaver one piece or the front extension. Just not sure if I want a 1 piece or if the extension will be enough

Ham Slamma
09-01-2015, 09:47 PM
DNZ Game Reaper is the only way to go! Go to there web site and see for your self..........

J.Baker
09-02-2015, 01:07 AM
How many times to do we have to tell you guys? If you buy a long action you're going to have to use a picatinney rail type base to mount most of today's shorter scopes. Anything else will have the rings spread to far apart.

Picatinney rail options are available from Weaver, Warne, EGW, Ken Farrell, TPS, etc.

Ham Slamma
09-02-2015, 05:49 AM
http://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-savage-2/

Long action – Outside to outside of rings is 5.06″. ( ***Offset ring mounts with OS for offset on end of part number are 4.42″ outside to outside of rings for shorter tube scopes.*** Part 18200OS medium and 12200OS high ) Standard rings are .63″ wide and have 2 ring screws per ring. Tactical rings are .80″ wide and have 4 screws per ring. 4 Hole to hole spacing dimensions are .86″, 4.63″, .86″. Height of mounts from top of receiver to centerline of scope tube is - low .92″, medium 1.05″, and high 1.17″.

J.Baker
09-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Good to know DNZ is making some specialty off-set mounts for the long actions to accommodate today's shorter scopes. DNZ makes a great product (I have several), but still prefer the flexibility of a picatinney rail for a long action.

Ham Slamma
09-02-2015, 10:06 PM
I ordered mine today.
Ill post pic's when I get it all together. That big ole Meopta 3X12X56mm is gonna look good on top of that new Savage 111 FCNS 30-06!!

geargrinder
09-02-2015, 11:05 PM
You can use the Weaver extension bases. Run the front base so that it extends over the mag opening. It won't interfere with ejection and it interferes less than a 1-piece.

J.Baker
09-03-2015, 12:21 AM
But they're still a fixed distance apart. I've ran into some newer scopes, especially some of the higher end tactical scopes that have main tubes so short you barely have 1/4" of adjustment left for eye relief on a short action. Such scopes demand a picatinney rail, and a picatinney rail will work for any length scope no matter what you go with. It's essentially fool-proof if you want to ensure you'll have the maximum adjustability. Granted most people aren't constantly playing musical scopes like I am due to doing my reviews, but it's still worth considering if you think you might upgrade to a different scope in the future.

daniel87
09-03-2015, 04:10 AM
But they're still a fixed distance apart. I've ran into some newer scopes, especially some of the higher end tactical scopes that have main tubes so short you barely have 1/4" of adjustment left for eye relief on a short action. Such scopes demand a picatinney rail, and a picatinney rail will work for any length scope no matter what you go with. It's essentially fool-proof if you want to ensure you'll have the maximum adjustability. Granted most people aren't constantly playing musical scopes like I am due to doing my reviews, but it's still worth considering if you think you might upgrade to a different scope in the future.

And probably a qd ring...one piece??

pictanny rails are all open source for the prints. if the rings dont fit its either the rings or base, one of them is out of spec and crap. Bye once cry once

pegwedge
09-04-2015, 05:18 AM
DO NOT BUY THE GAME REAPER FOR THE VORTEX DIAMONDBACK HP. J. Baker is right on this one. I got off work early tonight so I figured I'd mount mine up. Nope. No go. I got the medium height mount and while the eye relief was actually perfect for me, the magnification ring bottomed out on the back end of the mount. There wasn't enough real estate on the scope tube to move the scope back far enough to get the ring off the mount. The high mount might work, but I'll be trading mine back in for a decent picatinny rail and a set of rings.