PDA

View Full Version : Diffrence between savage axis ii xp and 111 trophy hunter xp

Dirtracer27x
08-31-2015, 12:05 AM
Looking at getting my first hunting rifle,i can get either axis 2 xp or the 111 hunter xp in 30-06 at same price.what are the differences? Also should I go 30-06 or .308.?the 111 has a bush ell scope.i didn't really notice to much differences it I want to make sure I get the best gun for my money.Thanks

DrThunder88
08-31-2015, 07:57 AM
Well, the Axis is an Axis, and the 111 is a 111!

111s are built on the 110 pattern and have the benefit of an Accutrigger and a rather sizable aftermarket. The Axis is a completely different rifle, though there are some external and internal similarities. Differences from the 110 included the fact that Axises are all built on the same long action receiver, irrespective of whether they are chambered in .223 Rem or .30-06. The receiver is also a closed top design similar to but entirely distinct from the Target actions. Axises' recoil lugs are also embedded in the stocks rather than attached to the barrel shank. The bolt handle and body and firing pin are also different from the 110.

However, the bolt head and its parts are interchangeable with short action (10) bolt heads. Small shank barrels from the 10/110 rifles also interchange with the Axis barrel. The trigger system is similar to late Stevens 200s and some pre-Accutrigger 10/110 rifles. Axis magazines are also the same as 10/110 rifles that use plastic floorplates. While one-piece scope mounts for the Axis and 110 will not interchange, any two-piece scope mount for round back 10/100 rifles will work with the Axis.

If you can get them for the same price, my suggestion would be the 111. The Trophy Hunter line is the cheapest of Savage's main marque (it uses the same plastic floorplate magazines as the Axis, I believe), but it does have the Accutrigger, which is a step above the Axis' factory trigger, and it is more upgradable down the road with the least amount of effort or expenditure.

Dirtracer27x
08-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Yes I can actually get the 111 for $10 cheaper. ($340) does that seem like a good deal?
the bolt seemed not as smooth as the axis but the trigger felt better.im just looking for a easy on the pockets hog gun to go hunting with.was looking at the ruger American in the 30-06 but like the trigger better on the savage. This will be my first savage.

Dirtracer27x
08-31-2015, 08:35 PM
Ok so i think I might have screwd up.so it ended up being the savage 111 hunter Xp #19673 without accutrigger and bushnell scope.guess I was discontinued.i ended up buying it because most said the 111 was a better platform.does anyone have any pros or cons on the 111 hunter xp?its all mine now pick her up on the 10th. Ended up being $325 on clearance.i plan on doing some hunting with it,so what might I do to smooth up the trigger and is there and socks that will fit it?thanks for the help in advance.

DrThunder88
09-01-2015, 03:42 AM
I didn't realize we were talking about a gun that old. Accutriggers have been standard equipment for a few years now. Still, you're in a good position to upgrade as you need. If the pictures I'm finding for that SKU are correct, your rifle will be a side bolt release. That will be important when it comes to shopping for stocks, and there should be plenty of stocks to fit your rifle. It may also mean your rifle uses metal floorplate magazines, which are considered by many to be more desirable than the Axis-style mags. As for the trigger, I don't know off the top of my head. There are aftermarket triggers that can be swapped in for the factory trigger, and, depending on the exact style of trigger your rifle has, there may be some adjustment built into the factory trigger.

rjtfroggy
09-01-2015, 06:54 AM
The way they made the model 11/111 more competitive price wise (cheaper) was to use a regular non accu trigger plastic(tupper ware) stock and Axis style DBM. Age of rifle has nothing to do with it.
Run your serial number through the parts finder and it should give you the date it was made.

DrThunder88
09-01-2015, 02:07 PM
The age does have something to do with it, because at some point Savage put an Accutrigger and bottom bolt release on the Trophy Hunter, which are both currently characteristic of TH rifles. I suspect this change was around 2010, but I'm just inferring that based on the introduction of the Edge in that year. Suffice it to say if he bought a brand new gun or even one manufactured in the last few years, it should have an Accutrigger and bottom bolt release. The SKU OP provided looks like a non-Accutrigger, top bolt release rifle.

Dirtracer27x
09-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Correct I talked with the guys over at savage and he confirmed the date oct 2013.said it is Same gun as trophy hunter minus the accutrigger.and different release as stated.he said there is much more aftermarket support for the pre accutrigger

rjtfroggy
09-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Dr. remember Savage's main goal is to make MONEY. They have been known to make all sorts of configurations for distributors and big box stores that will never show up in their catalog.
They will make them for an entry level price but minus the parts we are used to seeing on them. Or put another way to customer specs. .

EC76
04-26-2017, 07:36 AM
Hello ,
Last year I purchase my first bolt action rifle, an Axis 93R17, wood stock, heavy barrel, great rifle I cannot be happier with it.
Now I will like to move to a higher caliber (223) and I am not sure if I should go with the NEW Axis or the 10/100 TROPHY HUNTER.
I only use the rifle for target shooting; my outdoor range only goes up to 150 yards