PDA

View Full Version : muzzle brake

Einstein
08-29-2015, 12:07 PM
So I went target shooting with a friend of mine this week, he just bought a Howa 223, it came with a clamp-on brake unknown maker, what a difference it made. Look its a 223 I know.... Mild recoil... However I can actually see rounds hit , amazing_!! So I look online... I find the brake (I think) its a Witt machine.... At least it looks the same... Has anyone here ever use them....I at this point really want a brake but don't wanna spend for a "real" thread on ....it's an Axis... The cost would be more than the rifles worth. The Witt brake is about $100.00? Anyone have any ideas or better suggestions?

LoneWolf
08-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Spend $100 on a boyds stock. The extra weight will reduce recoil and the more rigid stock will aid in consistent accuracy.

mikgarus
08-29-2015, 05:16 PM
Spend $100 on a boyds stock. The extra weight will reduce recoil and the more rigid stock will aid in consistent accuracy.
...and you'll make the people around you when shooting much happier!

geargrinder
08-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Or, if you are determined to get a brake get one from Ross Schuler. It's about the same price to have him thread your barrel, time, and install one of his brakes on your barrel the right way.

$80 plus return shipping.

Rosco
08-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Kahntrol also does clamp on breaks for the Axis.

https://kahntrol.com/

(https://kahntrol.com/)

Einstein
08-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Geargrinder thanks for the tip . I've contacted Nathan at brakesandmore , I'm gonna go that route. My action is at the smith's right now have action pull off. Thanks again....!

Rosco
08-30-2015, 08:55 PM
Do you have the heavy barrel or the Sporter contour? Reason I ask is that, I spoke to Ross about this same issue about 6 months ago, and can't recall the exact barrel diameter that was required to install a break, maybe it was .650 or something. But I remember that after taking the caliper and measuring the barrel it ended up somewhere around 16-17 inches on the Axis. This would not apply to the heavy barrel, but for the sporter you would lose somewhere between 5-6 inches of barrel before their was enough metal.

If you have decided to go with an aftermarket barrel and I just missed that, please disregard.

Einstein
08-31-2015, 03:34 AM
Ya he needs a min of.505" for threads...I'm right there.... If its scrapped.I'll try aftermarket...

Russ77
09-06-2015, 06:26 AM
I think I have seen a break that clamps to the end of the barrel?? I haven't found one online . Does anyone know who makes them and how well they work??

Rosco
09-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Witt Machine and Kahntrol make clamp on brakes. From what I hear they are not to hard install and work fairly well.

DrThunder88
09-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Witt and Kahntrol are the two names that spring to mind in the clamp-on game. I also read a pretty positive review of Grizzly Gunworks' clamp-on brake somewhere, but they seemed rather expensive.

rfd12fv
09-08-2015, 05:45 AM
i can't see the need for a brake on most any bolt .223, but the witt i installed on the .308win axis hb has clearly made a significant difference in both barrel jump and recoil.

adding weight to the butt stock, and stiffening the fore stock, will significantly improve a .223 - do a search in this forum for "rockite".

http://i.imgur.com/V0bg25T.jpg

Russ77
09-09-2015, 12:40 AM
Other than reducing recoil are there any other benefits to adding a muzzle break? I'll be honest I think they look great on the rifle but my rifle being a .223 has very little recoil.

DrThunder88
09-09-2015, 01:14 AM
They can be useful if you hate people shooting next to you at the range!

Apart from mitigating the shock to the shoulder, controlling recoil—more specifically muzzle rise—also helps keep the shooter on target to spot misses and deliver follow ups.