PDA

View Full Version : .223 accuracy, barrel swap

alaskan9974
06-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I have a savage 110LH in .30-06, I want to try to get it chambered in something a little less expensive. It is mainly for caribou hunting with head shots under 200 yards. I have only put about 100 rounds or so through the -06 and have taken a couple dozen or so ' bou with it, but it is too expensive to feed. I am assuming the barrel I found on Midway will fit. Once I get the other one off, is it as simple as tightening it down and checking headspace, then test firing? I also see a barrel in .338 but that would be rather harsh for a 6.5lbs rifle. Accuracy below 1moa in .223 possible with this?

Uncle Jack
06-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Your question seems a little bizarre to me.

The cost difference between 30-06 ammunition and any other "cheaper" ammunition would be minute compared to the cost of rebarreling to another caliber.

How many caribou do you shoot each year?

If you really want to change to another caliber, let me know how much you want for that 110LH and maybe we can work something out.
uj

rjtfroggy
06-03-2010, 09:43 PM
UJ is right consider a different rifle.
Besides the barrel swap I believe you will need a magazine,a follower,a new bolt head.You are really taking a short cartridge and trying to put it through a long action so there may be more parts needed to do it than what I listed.

Axtell3
06-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Exactly, that's why while waiting for my barrel for my 3006, I bought a 223 11fcns.... to save money.
Actually so I can stay in form, and wack the occasional woodchuck or clay pigeon. ( on the range not in the air ) I'd go that route, I'm sure there are some smallish critters to shoot in Alaska?

King Ghidora
06-04-2010, 08:53 AM
I also bought a .223 to have something cheaper to shoot but that just means I end up shooting twice as much. I kept my .30-06 too. That's the best solution IMO. If you sell a good rifle you will end up regretting it. I do anyway. Every time I've sold a gun I really liked I always wish I hadn't. I'd like to buy some of them back if I could find them. I've even looked for replacements for them but unfortunately they weren't that popular but they were excellent guns. I found one 7.62 X 25 Tokarev after I sold the one I had but they wanted twice as much as I paid for the first one. I couldn't bring myself to do that. I sold the first one because it became almost impossible just to find ammo. Now it's everywhere. Someday you might find a way to shoot that .30-06 cheaply. I'd hold onto it and find the money to get another gun.

alaskan9974
06-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Ok thanks for the replys, I thought that I had seen a couple people who had done this but they must have had a short action originally. This rifle is the only gun I do not regularly take out to the range. Daily bag limit up here is 5 per day with open season all year...Freezers full of caribou, dried meat and such. Looking at a savage 93 17, that hmr should do pretty well on beaver and muskrats, and our mosquitos ;D

possum1
06-14-2010, 11:31 PM
I disagree with the other post's. I have a L/A I rebarreled to 243 and probably change again. The biggest expense is the barrel/action wrench but look at what you can do with them. You can get the barrel's very reasonable from NSS. Which I like to tinker with them anyway.

Axtell3
06-15-2010, 06:16 AM
Ok thanks for the replys, I thought that I had seen a couple people who had done this but they must have had a short action originally. This rifle is the only gun I do not regularly take out to the range. Daily bag limit up here is 5 per day with open season all year...Freezers full of caribou, dried meat and such. Looking at a savage 93 17, that hmr should do pretty well on beaver and muskrats, and our mosquitos ;D

Do you dry the mosquitos or just grill them?
Down here it's the deer flies, our mosquitos are too small to make a meal...

King Ghidora
06-15-2010, 08:16 AM
I have to use a shotgun on the deer flies where I live. They're just too fast for bullets.

MissedAgain
06-15-2010, 12:42 PM
I've done it, '06 to 223 on a long action, that is. I had to get a special bolt head (not custom, just not common) from SSS. I had to change that as well as the firing pin protrusion; he also explained how best to do that. Mine does not feed well from the magazine (changed that, too) but that doesn't bother me since I single load pretty much everything at the range anyhow.

Mine started as a 110 long action 30-06. It shoots fine but takes a little more fussing around to change back to a cartridge based on a .473 bolt head rather than a simple barrel swap. Since I have other actions with .473 heads on them already, I probably won't ever bother to change this one back, but have all the parts tucked away to do so later on if I get the urge.