PDA

View Full Version : axis upgrades

jlandrews04
08-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Hi guys, I just purchased my first savage and its a axis and i got it for a steal at walmart, so far I love it. the stock is terrible compared to my 700 i ordered a boyds stock . any other aftermarket parts or upgrades for it, I plan on changing the barrel after I get a year or so out of it. also they have trigger springs that are supposed to drop it to 3 or 4 lbs are they legit? thanks guys

foxx
08-28-2015, 09:26 PM
You can cut coils off the spring and get it down to about 3-3.5 lbs and it ain't bad.

Better than that is a Rifle Basix Sav-1 aftermarket trigger for about $80-100. Very nice hunting trigger. I don't know if a Timney will work in the Axis, I suppose it will. Same idea.

I have tried those springs you mention, they aren't anything special, by any means. Certainly no better than cutting the coils down.

jlandrews04
08-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks Foxx that's what I was thinking. Any other upgrades you know o

Russ77
08-28-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm going with the Boyd's pro varmint stock on mine just cause I think it looks cool. What caliber did you get?

IUOE-Mike
08-29-2015, 10:39 AM
I bought my axis at a local walmart for $200 and after taking it to the range it left a lot to be desired. Factory tirgger was over 6lbs, spring mod dropped it down to 3.xlbs. It was an improvement but I opted for the Timney,well worth the price IMO. Factory stock had a lot of flex and factory barrel would heat up very quickly. Heres how my Axis sits now, just under $1500 with the suppressor.. Its a blast to shoot
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv310/MikeNestor/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-08/20150826_172359_zpsohaeahff.jpg

If you go with the boyds Id highly recommend the cdi precision bottom metal package.

jlandrews04
08-29-2015, 10:51 PM
Very nice... I got mine for $160 on a sale it was 3006. I wanted 308 but it wasn't on sale. I went with the pro varmint stock also I ordered it yesterday so I will have it in a few weeks. I did go shoot it today at 50 yards it was good a little inconsistent and at 100 it was worse I'm sure it was the stock and the gun not broken in I'll run some more after the new stock is installed

tufrthnails
08-29-2015, 11:56 PM
Get 50 rounds through it and rest it as far back towards the trigger guard as you can.

tufrthnails
08-30-2015, 12:04 AM
Also I would suggest replacing two factory scope mounts they suck. I use DNZ gamereaper one piece. This is controversial but I don't clean my barrel until groups open up then give it about 5 fouler rounds. I can guarantee my first 5 rounds will group around 2 1/2" then drop under 1" @100 yards.

DrThunder88
08-30-2015, 02:44 AM
In my opinion the best money to be spent on an Axis is on the trigger. While a Rifle Basix or Timney is fine, modding the trigger offers the most improvement in performance for the cost. As a totally unscientific example, I recently had a box stock Axis out at the range and was only shooting maybe 4" groups at 100 yards. I dropped in a shimmed-up and lightly sprung trigger from another Axis and saw the groups cut in half. Part of that may have been I was also shooting an Axis with a Rifle Basix trigger that day, so the transition was influencing the groups more than the trigger itself. Regardless of its intended use, a good trigger is a great thing to have.

The stock is a reasonably good upgrade as well, though I feel its greatest contributions are to ergonomics and aesthetics. I don't have a before and after anecdote to describe the relative changes, but I was pleased with the better cheek weld and the look and feel of the stock. Boyds stocks are fine. I have several—one for each of my Axises, as it happens—but none are as delivered from the factory. They've all been pillared and bedded, and some have cheek risers. I would not expect an instant or significant improvement in performance from a stock, but it's still worth doing.

Assuming you're already handloading or using match ammo, the barrel is going to be the biggest mechanical contributor to accuracy. The scope mounts will make it easier to shoot well by giving you more flexibility in the scopes you can use and where you position them whether you get a one piece mount or rail and rings.