PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10TR LEO Budget Build

QMaze
08-28-2015, 06:42 PM
So I had a buddy pick this up for me about a year ago and I finally got out to visit and bring it home. It is going to be a budget build over the next year, picking up pieces here and there and see if I can make a decent long range setup.

Not sure if it even needs a muzzle brake, but most likely a stock upgrade, scope and go from there. Yes thats a SWFA scope for it.

http://dmimage.ca/forums/savage/tr10.jpg

6mmBR_Shooter
08-28-2015, 10:56 PM
It's more fu to see them out of the box ;-)

big honkin jeep
08-28-2015, 11:46 PM
Budget build?
I'm usually not in the habit of discouraging "build" plans unless it's just pointless but I have a 10 TR and in my opinion it's a well thought out, darn near perfect factory package loaded with all the latest bells and whistles for a rifle of this type. The beauty of em is they are a factory rifle that is stupid accurate right out of the box and they don't "Need " parts. When I say stupid accurate I mean stupid one hole accurate.
Maybe an accessory like brake or a can to make use of the provided threads but There really isn't anything aftermarket I'm aware of to add that is going to truly improve the performance an out of the box 10TR.
In my opinion the best way to spend your money with this rig is on good rings, optics, developing a load and lots of practice.
If you don't hand load then start, Everything you need to start can be had for about $150, that will cover better ammo than you can buy that can be tuned to the rifle, and more of it for the money to cover the practice.
Then shoot bug holes till you're bored.
Take it out of the box and shoot it man, I think you'll be impressed

QMaze
08-29-2015, 07:43 AM
Yeah I will unbox today. Yeah they are accurate, hence the reason I bought one. This was my group shooting just inexpensive Russian ammo last year with another 10TR. Unfortunately the 4th was a flier. I will be doing my own loads as well so the budget build is basically needs to make it better to shoot for my style, I'm a lefty as well so some stocks might be out of the question if not ambidextrous. But I'm not doing anything substantial till I start shooting it, it may not need anything swapped out.

http://dmimage.ca/forums/savage/10TR_group.jpg

QMaze
08-29-2015, 11:12 AM
It's more fu to see them out of the box ;-)

I will do that today. :p

QMaze
08-30-2015, 04:22 PM
Unboxed!

http://dmimage.ca/forums/savage/Savage_10TR.jpg

Chrazy-Chris
08-31-2015, 11:43 PM
Wow that's a helluva group for cheap russian ammo. My Dick's special 10T shot like **** until I put an HS precision stock on it.

QMaze
09-02-2015, 12:33 AM
Wow that's a helluva group for cheap russian ammo. My Dick's special 10T shot like **** until I put an HS precision stock on it.

Thanks that was a stock 10TR with a Vortex scope and muzzle brake, nothing more. The owner wanted me to stop shooting with his setup, lol. I would like to put the action in a MDT HSE chassis hopefully.