PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions for Stock Options for Stevens 200 LA Centerfeed

mikeintx
06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Can anyone tell me what my options are for a aftermarket stock for Stevens 200 LA Centerfeed stock? I am interested in both synthetic and laminate versions.

Thanks in advance for suggestions...

jpdown
06-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Your options are fairly open since the old Savage/Stevens 200 LA stagger feed and the newer LA center feed's have the same hole spacing. The magazine well on an aftermarket stock for the stagger feed is usually a little bit larger than the well on the centerfeed stock. So you will have to do a little fitting work to properly position the detached magazine in the well to assuse proper feed. I did away with the L-clip. Then built a base for the magazine box with plumber's epoxy and used Velcro to hold in the correct position.

If your don't want to fool with the above, then Sharp Shooter Supply makes several laminated styles and Stockade Gunstocks makes several synthetic styles that are pre-fit for the Savage/Stevens 200 LA centerfeed. These are top notch stocks that are well worth the wait and cost.

rjtfroggy
06-03-2010, 10:04 PM
I just recently did a Boyds and it took less than an hour to fit the mag, as a matter of fact the small piece of laminate that I removed to fit the "l" bracket was just the right size for the front of the mag. Worked out perfect, a little bit of epoxy and it was good to go. There is a picture some where on here of the finished product.

MARK25-06
06-03-2010, 10:09 PM
stockys stocks 107.00 thumbhole 126.00 with shipping. only 4 left i got the blue one tuesday MARK25-06

hangtime
06-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Just put a duramaxx on my long acion with the centerfeed. Was really easy. All I did was put a cut business card between the feed lips and the bolt. Taped the mag to the action. Put devcon in the mag area, and set the action and magazine into it. Torqued the action screws and done. Cycles just fine. While I had it apart I also bedded the action....did not go as smooth as the first part, but it is only my second attempt at it. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet to see how it will do.

One word of advice though is do not use too much epoxy as it will go too far up the magazine and not let the feed lips flex when loading the magazine. I had to do a little dremel work on mine. Was a little too tuff pushing those bullets in there.

bernieb90
06-08-2010, 03:07 AM
Hello,
I am new to the forum, but not firearms, or Savage rifles. I now have 2 Savage 10s in .308 (one is a 10FP), and a new Stevens 200 in 7mm Mag. The only problem I see with permanent epoxy bonding of the magazine into the stock is cleaning the magazine if dirt or mud get in there. I spent the better part of today trying to solve that problem. I bought a black B&C Medalist for the Stevens. Here is what I came up with.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j275/bernieb90/DSC_1427.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j275/bernieb90/DSC_1428.jpg

I machined an aluminum bracket that engages the rear notch in the magazine body. The bracket can be dropped in or epoxied into the stock.

A removable delrin spacer in the front of the magazine well takes up the space, and keeps the magazine from moving forward off the bracket. Removing the spacer allows the magazine to be removed. The screw shown in the picture is used for removing the spacer.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j275/bernieb90/DSC_1429.jpg

I spent the better part of this afternoon messing around with this thing, but it seems to work OK. The magazine sits a bit high, but the bolt operates fine.

scott597
06-11-2010, 07:28 AM
i just got one of the thumbholers from stocky's last week. great looking and feeling stock! it fits like a glove on my stevens 200sa. i do believe they have them for your action as well. great price as well. also added a new bt bolt handle and metal trigger gaurd from sss as well. things are coming together.