PDA

View Full Version : Scope base screw broke off in action

Pages : [1] 2

dpollard
08-28-2015, 03:33 PM
I had a scope base screw break off at the head with the screw body now stuck in the threads of the action. Is there a way to fix this and does it require a gunsmith?

short round
08-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Remove the base, there may be enough screw sticking out of the receiver to grab onto with pliers or vise grips, if your lucky & the screw is not had thread locker applied, it will come out easy. If thread locker of some sort has been used apply heat to soften it. Screw thread size is 6X48 get one at hardware store, may have to be shortened to work.

dpollard
08-28-2015, 04:36 PM
I just removed base and it's broke off flush with the action. There is no way to grip the remaining screw. Any other options?

Robinhood
08-28-2015, 04:47 PM
There is no way to grip the remaining screw. Any other options?

Yes, if you are experienced with precision work and drilling with small drills.

dpollard
08-28-2015, 08:00 PM
Yes, if you are experienced with precision work and drilling with small drills.

Not even close! ;) Just dropped gun off at gunsmith. Not going to mess with it and risk further damage.

243LPR
08-28-2015, 09:24 PM
This wouldn't be the screw directly above the barrel threads would it?

big honkin jeep
08-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Not even close! ;) Just dropped gun off at gunsmith. Not going to mess with it and risk further damage.

Now you're talkin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0

snowgetter1
08-29-2015, 12:13 AM
^^^^^^That is awesome.

lrshooting
08-29-2015, 12:50 AM
You could have cut a slot with a dremel and the thin cutting wheels. If it was truly flush. You would have done very very minimal cosmetic damage to the receiver and it could be filled with bedding compound. It would be covered by the base any ways. Then heat the screw with a fine, but hot flame from something like a mini torch. Let it cool down just slightly and it should screw right out. Heat also breaks up rust to an extent. Heat is a lovely thing!

Im curious as to how gun smiths do it tho. Maybe they do the same thing and just weld any damage so that you can't see it. It's pretty hard to drill a hardened 6-48 screw unless they have a carbide end mill that small and a very precise mill...

BigBlueandGoldie
08-29-2015, 01:30 AM
Carbide bit and a mill would make short work of this. Really though, I'm surprised you couldn't get it out if it wasn't loctited in.

jpdown
08-29-2015, 10:07 AM
I did the same thing once. Decided to try the "bubba gunsmith" approach and drill it out myself with a very small bit and hand drill. Ended up scratching the receiver and messing up the 6-48 hole threads. I had to buy 8-40 drill bit and taps to fix the mess. I suspect a gunsmith with the right tools will drill it out and replace with 8-40 base mount screws. My next purchase was a good torque driver set to make sure I don't ever make the same mistake again. Plus you won't over-tighten those ring or stock screws. Thus avoid putting ring marks on your scope tubes or cracking chunks out of your laminated stock. You might say, I've learned all this the hard way.

jpdown
08-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Removed double post.

243LPR
08-29-2015, 11:45 AM
I must be lucky,did it once with a drill and ez out. came right out.

Robinhood
08-29-2015, 01:52 PM
I must be lucky,did it once with a drill and ez out. came right out.

I'm impressed. What manufacturer easy out did you use?

I guess 5/64ths end mills are pretty common as well.

Texas10
08-30-2015, 10:14 AM
IMHO, no tool box is complete without a set of left hand twist drills bits. Broken screws and bolts can many times be removed quite easily as the torque implied by the drill biting into the screw is exactly the direction needed to back it out. I have saved many an expensive aircraft part using left hand drills. Easy outs tend to expand the hole as they apply torque and bite into the screw, frequently locking them in place even more, or ruining the threaded hole by oversizing. The left hand drill is able to back them out without further abuse to the part.
They are readily available. A quick search turned up this: http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-30520-Cobalt-64-Inch-Assortment/dp/B0002NYBJG
They are available in number sizes too.

craigsoutdoorsports
08-30-2015, 05:34 PM
I purchased a set of micro easy outs, from Brownells If I remember right. That's how this gunsmith fixes it. Usually requires drilling tapping 8-40 threads after broken screw is removed.

Mallard57
08-31-2015, 02:09 AM
You could've tried catching an edge of the screw with a pointed punch and tap it around with a hammer.

Hotolds442
08-31-2015, 01:44 PM
Texas10 hit the nail on the proverbial broken bolt head. A left hand drill is by far the easiest and most effective method of removing a broken bolt.

Bolthead
08-31-2015, 05:21 PM
Ditto on the left handed drill bits.

FW Conch
08-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Yep. Left twist drill bit is the "bomb".