PDA

View Full Version : Walking 7mm Rem. Mag

wever
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Looking for your help on my Savage Model 111, 7mm Rem. Mag. I limit this rifle to 3 shot groups with long cooling times between volleys. Doesn&#39;t matter which reload recipe I use, one of the three shots is at least an inch or more from the other two (which are always < one half inch). Could be the first, second or third shot, doesn&#39;t matter, one of them will "walk". I called Hornady, they said adjust the recipes then the bullet seating depth. Did that, no help. I called Savage, they couldn&#39;t explain it but this model/caliber with the sporter barrel is only expected/guaranteed an inch and a half moa. What do you think, any insight?

sinman
06-03-2010, 05:27 PM
check your scope screws, action screws, make sure there isn&#39;t pressure on the barrel somewhere. Maybe a different scope and or shooter if that stuff doesn&#39;t work.

wever
06-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks wbm, coincidentally after I posted this I read an article in this months "Handloader mag" that the writer had a similar problem; possible harmonics issue. He solved it with two pieces of credit card between the barrel and forend, like you said giving a little pressure. I will give it a try. Thanks