PDA

View Full Version : SSS HBR Stock questions - advice?

systemamfry
06-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Hi all

I just recently got around to putting my latest project together which includes a Savage target action, shillen bull barrel chambered for 6.5x47 Lapua, SSS heavy benchrest stock, DNZ rings, and Weaver T36 scope.

My problem lies in the fitment of the barrel / barrel channel in the stock. The gap on the right side of the barrel is huge and on the left side as you get toward the end of the forearm it almost touches the barrel !

It is not just slightly off - it's as if the action holes in the stock might have not been drilled straight?

Any advice on things to check for or does it sound as if I should just call SSS and see about replacement?

Thank you,
Matt

rjtfroggy
06-03-2010, 09:57 PM
There are a couple of things you can do.
First make sure there is clearance the length of the barrel, then take a dowel with some sand paper and even out the barrel channel.
this shouldn't take more than half an hour.
Also does it have pillars. If not another relatively easy fix using a small piece of hollow threaded tubing from a lamp.Just square up the holes by redrilling for the tubing then epoxy them in and then torque down the action.
All told maybe an hours worth of work and when you are done everything should look better.

pdog06
06-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Did you bed the action? If not you need to and it will fix this. Also, make sure that your rear tang is fully floated, as if not it will kick the barrel over.

Mine is slightly off as well.